Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Do Arms Go Away?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918 >> Do Arms Go Away? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Do Arms Go Away? - 4/29/2009 2:18:22 PM   
jscott991

I recently abandoned my longest-running attempt at a game to date because I ran out of arms as the Central Powers during a key turn and Russia simply punched too many holes in my line to continue. Also, I let the allies develop 2nd level trenches before I had even spent points on it and found that this shifted the balance of forces on the western front against me, which meant that I probably wasn't going to win the game. Incidentally, given the number of troops I poured East and my complete inability to slow the Russians down as Germany because I simply couldn't pool together enough HQ activations, I'm seriously concerned that this game overestimates the allies on BOTH fronts. I already knew that the Western front is hopelessly pro-Allies because the German advance can't replicate the historical speed of Germany's August 1914 offensive (plus, has anyone noticed that Liege only falls on the first impulse about half the time; even a passing familiarity with history reveals that the taking of Liege in the first days of the war was of critical importance and its failure would have been disastrous to the Germans; in GoA, Liege is like a mini-Verdun).

The point of this ramble is to ask whether arms purchases expire? I wasn't keeping careful track, but there were a lot of turns in 1914 where I had far more arms than I could spend. AH in particular seemed to run a surplus. Then, all of a sudden, in 1915 I was out of them. This was despite purchasing a large number each turn (so many, in fact, that I neglected research, artillery barrages, and air power). Do they disappear? Do I need to use them on the turn they appear?

< Message edited by jscott991 -- 4/29/2009 3:34:23 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Do Arms Go Away? - 4/29/2009 9:15:02 PM   
Will_L_OLD

Did you have auto-refit on? The replacement of lost strength points uses arms and manpower.

(in reply to jscott991)
Post #: 2
RE: Do Arms Go Away? - 4/29/2009 9:58:45 PM   
jscott991

No I didn't.

I know arms go away when you use them to build units and replenish units in the field.

I just wanted to know if they "expire" or disappear if unused.

(in reply to Will_L_OLD)
Post #: 3
RE: Do Arms Go Away? - 4/30/2009 2:40:27 AM   
SewerStarFish

quote:

ORIGINAL: jscott991
No I didn't.
I know arms go away when you use them to build units and replenish units in the field.
I just wanted to know if they "expire" or disappear if unused.

I am not certain, but it may be because you crossed an exhaustion level. Losing builds isn't listed in the manual, but so aren't a lot of other things. They shouldn't expire.

(in reply to jscott991)
Post #: 4
RE: Do Arms Go Away? - 4/30/2009 3:35:12 AM   
jscott991

It's possible I just lost track.

I just didn't want to make the same mistake.  I'll assume they don't expire.

(in reply to SewerStarFish)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918 >> Do Arms Go Away? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI