small question

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

Footslogger

small question

Post by Footslogger »

Are there any veterans here from WWII? At my church, theres a guy that was in the 2nd marines in WWII. Didn't 2nd marines take tarawa?
Yava

RE: small question

Post by Yava »

It did [;)]
Art by Dixie.
rogueusmc

Post by rogueusmc »

At my church back home, I know a guy who was with the raiders at Guadalcanal. He was a radioman who took a bullet in the radio.[8D]
There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.

Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

John Lansford

Post by John Lansford »

I had two uncles in WWII; one fought in an infantry division in Italy and the other was in an artillery unit fighting in the Philippines in 1944.  Unfortunately, neither one has been willing to talk about what they did, so I don't even know what units they were in...
AirGriff

Post by AirGriff »

My grandfather was in the army and left in the summer of 1941.  Pearl Harbor happened and "plop", they grabbed him and sent him to the 6th Infantry Division.  He was in New Guinea and the PI.  I never got to talk to him much about the war or anything else.  I was too young when he died.  My dad was 7 or 8 years old when my grandfather came back from the war and he vividly remembers the day he came home.  My dad was coming home from some errand for his mom and saw his dad through a window of some bar tipping a few back before he came home.  My dad told his mom, who didn't believe him because my dad only knew his dad by photo's and plus he said my grandfather was "all yellow".  I guess the malaria pills did that to guys?  Anyway, he was right.  A short time later, in walked my grandfather. 

rjopel

Post by rjopel »

Unfortunately both my grandfathers passed away before I was old enough for me to ask the questions and be old enough for them to answer them.  One served as a Marine tanker in 1st Tank Battalion, 1st MarDiv on Peleliu and Okinawa and the other served in North Africa, Italy, Southern France and Germany and earned the Soldiers Medal in France rescuing a pilot who crashlanded near his AA battery.

Wish they were still around.  And not so I could ask them about thier war expierence.
Ryan Opel
morganbj

Post by morganbj »

My dad was in the USAAF, flying Beaufighters out of Tunisia.  My uncle was a platoon leader in one of the units involved in the initial Kiska/Attu landings (I don't know which).  My father in-law was a "belly pilot" (i.e., the radioman/gunner/observer) in a TBF on the Princeton.  My step dad was a member of the ground crew for a fighter squadron in England/France (52nd, I think?), P47's then P51's very late in the war.  Another uncle was on a tin can in the N. Pacific (He died before I ever found out which one.  He eventually joined the USCG, became a pilot and flew Albatrosses, mostly in Hawaii, Alaska, and points west from there.) My wife's uncle was a commo chief for a combat engineer bn in Tunisia, Sicily, and Italy.)

In short, I can't think of a single relative that has NOT served either in WWI (both grandfathers), WWII, Korea , Vietnam, or in some peacetime period since.  I did my part way back when, too.  ("Vietnam a Go-Go," we called it.  That and the "Jolly Green Jungle.")  I guess we're just a bunch of stinkin' warmongers.  Sadly, almost all of them are gone now, so no more questions can be asked.  Too bad.  They were all there when we needed them.
Occasionally, and randomly, problems and solutions collide. The probability of these collisions is inversely related to the number of committees working on the solutions. -- Me.
stuman

Post by stuman »

One of my uncles left the family farm in Arkansas in the late 30's as a teenager and joined the Merchant Marine. He sailed in the Pacific from around 1939 through the end of the war and a bit beyond before settling in San Pedro Calif. He had some pretty wild stories. He told us kids the funny ones; my mother and father have said that he also had a lot of " not so funny stories ".  Ships he sailed on were bombed, strafed, etc. Another thing about which  I need to get more information about from my dad.
" Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room. " President Muffley

stuman

Post by stuman »

ORIGINAL: bjmorgan

My dad was in the USAAF, flying Beaufighters out of Tunisia.  My uncle was a platoon leader in one of the units involved in the initial Kiska/Attu landings (I don't know which).  My father in-law was a "belly pilot" (i.e., the radioman/gunner/observer) in a TBF on the Princeton.  My step dad was a member of the ground crew for a fighter squadron in England/France (52nd, I think?), P47's then P51's very late in the war.  Another uncle was on a tin can in the N. Pacific (he died before I ever found out which one.  He eventually joined the USCG, became a pilot and flew Albatrosses, mostly in Hawaii, Alaska, and points west from there.)

In short, I can't think of a single relative that has NOT served either in WWI (both grandfathers), WWII, Korea , Vietnam, or in some peacetime period since.  I did my part way back when, too.  ("Vietnam a Go-Go," we called it.  That and the "Jolly Green Jungle.")  I guess we're just a bunch of stinkin' warmongers.  Sadly, almost all of them are gone now, so no more questions can be asked.  Too bad.  They were all there when we needed them.

My brother and I are the first generation in our family's history, going back to before the Revoluntionary war, that have not been in the military. Both he, me, and my male cousins all graduated from high school after the Vietnam War. We have indentified a family member that participtaed in every major conflict except the Mexican War. I came the closest, I was all ready to let the American Taxpayer pay for my law school in exchange for my going the JAG corp route. But by the time I had to make a final decision, the rules had changed. Since I would no longer be joining as a captain ( they had changed it to lieutenant ) I decided to forget it. I have often wondered how different my life would have been I had taken that route.

USSAmerica

Post by USSAmerica »

My "grandfather", actually my grandmother's husband who is the only grandfather I've had for most of my life, was in the 29th Infantry Division in Europe.  A few months ago, he and I discussed recording all that he can remember from his time serving, but since then, it's been bothering him too much to think about it, so we've called it off. 

He has told some great funny stories, and "high level" versions of some not so great stories, like taking a bayonet in the hedgerows of Normandy.  It saddens me to think of our family not having a good record of his service, but it saddens me even more to not let an old soldier enjoy his later years, with his biggest worry being the prospects of another Orioles losing season. [8D]
Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

My father was in the Navy during WWII and my mom worked at Douglas Aircraft. He never would talk much about it and now he has passed away. If I pestered him enough, about the only thing he would say was "The war is over and thank God I survived." I know he was at Kwajelien Island, Leyte Gulf, and Okinawa.
decaro

Post by decaro »

When I was taking US History at my local Community College, in lieu of a term paper, my prof gave me the option of exploring the US Veteran's Project and taping a live interview of a vet; I accepted and interviewed my father, a WW II vet of the 643rd TD Reg't.

Dad's gone, but I still have a copy of him on tape; the original interview along w/other related materials and forms were mailed to the VP.

Even back in the 90's, Fort Hood was taping WW II vets during military display shows.
Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.[center]Image[/center]
[center]"The Angel of Okinawa"[/center]
Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II
Ol_Dog

Post by Ol_Dog »

Yes

Sgt Jim Stevens of the 2nd Marines fought at 'Canal, Tarawa and was killed on Saipan

Common Sense is an uncommon virtue.
If you think you have everything under control, you don't fully understand the situation.
spence

Post by spence »

Even someone who, with parental permission, enlisted at age 16 in 1945, would be 80 years of age now; a rather unlikely denizen of this forum.
m10bob

Post by m10bob »

We had some WW2 vets in the SPWAW forums a few years back.

Misconduct

Post by Misconduct »

There's a bar locally to me that has veterans, sort of like a veterans clubhouse except its more of a bar, there are quite a few generations of vets from Korea and on that generally you know where they were by the hats, one would say Vietnam or Panama or Gulf war. However there are these 2 old gents that come in from time to time, always together no less and have generally 2 shots, one day I decided to actually go, and one of the  old Jarheads stopped and asked me if I were a son of someone in the bar, I explained I was a marine and the 2nd gent named Oliver shot up and said "Sound off like you have a pair marine". We talked for good hour at least and both were deployed to late to see any action in WW2, after war they bought a farm together and signed back up for Marines for Korean War. I will never forget both explained the 2nd shot they always had was they were wounded by mortar fire and taken off the line, a couple hours before chosin Reservoir and did not take part of it. They both feel they were cheated and will never forgive themselves of missing the battle. Since then I really haven't gone back to this bar, but I do have a tab setup which pissed both old warhorses off - their tab for rest of their lives will be paid by me in that bar. Every month I put aside $40 so they can go in and drink whatever on me. Might not be a whole lot, but in the eyes of one of the marines he said he would never accept a penny from anyone for his service, but since I was simply buying him his shots and not asking questions about it he feels justifiable. I am not sure if either are still alive, as I bought them the drinks back in October 08', I just hope they are doing alright.
ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z Intel Core I7 2800k Corsair Hydro Heatsink Corsair Vengeance DD3 24GB EVGA GTX 580 Western Digital 1.5TB Raid 0 Windows 7
Footslogger

Post by Footslogger »

My neighboor's uncle was in the Strawberry Squadron. He flew a PBY and always had a good supply of pencils. (They used pencils to put in place of where the rivits came out and enemy fire as well.) Thank you all for the stories. Its been cool.[8D]
stuman

Post by stuman »

ORIGINAL: Misconduct

There's a bar locally to me that has veterans, sort of like a veterans clubhouse except its more of a bar, there are quite a few generations of vets from Korea and on that generally you know where they were by the hats, one would say Vietnam or Panama or Gulf war. However there are these 2 old gents that come in from time to time, always together no less and have generally 2 shots, one day I decided to actually go, and one of the  old Jarheads stopped and asked me if I were a son of someone in the bar, I explained I was a marine and the 2nd gent named Oliver shot up and said "Sound off like you have a pair marine". We talked for good hour at least and both were deployed to late to see any action in WW2, after war they bought a farm together and signed back up for Marines for Korean War. I will never forget both explained the 2nd shot they always had was they were wounded by mortar fire and taken off the line, a couple hours before chosin Reservoir and did not take part of it. They both feel they were cheated and will never forgive themselves of missing the battle. Since then I really haven't gone back to this bar, but I do have a tab setup which pissed both old warhorses off - their tab for rest of their lives will be paid by me in that bar. Every month I put aside $40 so they can go in and drink whatever on me. Might not be a whole lot, but in the eyes of one of the marines he said he would never accept a penny from anyone for his service, but since I was simply buying him his shots and not asking questions about it he feels justifiable. I am not sure if either are still alive, as I bought them the drinks back in October 08', I just hope they are doing alright.

Great idea Misconduct ! That is very nice of you.

Misconduct

Post by Misconduct »

I just called the bartender and quizzed why none of them would accept it, he said specifically none wanted to feel they "deserve" it. Really that's just to humble, they deserve it no less.

Edited: Now I am going out for few drinks tonight, screw this sad sh$#.
ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z Intel Core I7 2800k Corsair Hydro Heatsink Corsair Vengeance DD3 24GB EVGA GTX 580 Western Digital 1.5TB Raid 0 Windows 7
Footslogger

Post by Footslogger »

What's the name of the bar Misconduct?

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”