Matrix Games Forums

War in the West gets its first update!Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm version 2.08 is now available!Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual preview
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

unit ID

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Coming Soon and In Development] >> Combined Arms: World War II (formerly Battlefields!) >> unit ID Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
unit ID - 4/14/2009 12:02:06 PM   
scsfan

Hi everyone, since we have some much time to wait, I really would like to bring this issue back, display unit ID instead of unit status on the unit icon, or at least has the choice to choose which information you like to displayed on the unit icon - strength, movement points or unit ID.
I've been long playing board games and computer games since very young. When we played board game, there was no such luxury to have the unit ID displayed on the paper cut piece. but when comes to the modern technology, I feel it certainly worth an effort to implement this feature.
I can imagine that the 1st thing a commander will ask for it's unit(s) is the location, only then followed by its status. By displaying the unit ID on the map, it not only make it easy to find where your units are, but also give far more satisfactory visual appearance. e.g., you want to SEE your favorite 1st armored regiment is the spear head of the break through, and is only 2km from the target city... rather then just a generic colored icon. when you want to reorganize your defense line, you can SEE where all your units are and to keep a better integrity and realism. You never see a real commander mark all the unit strength and movement points on the map, only the unit ID, it make the game feeling more real and professional. I know if I want to find out I can check the detailed panel for the unit ID and all sorts of information, but it's just not the same.
I have played TOAW1,2,3 for long enough, but it never felt the same emotionally involved and attached as when I played the old V4V, or later Conquest of Aegean. when I see a unit is punch through a hole, I didn't feel as joyful as in V4V that "it's my best panzer battalion that is making the progress", when a unit suffered horrible casualty it didn't make me feel as "painful" as in V4V that "it's my 501 heavy panzer, lost half of it's tigers", it more or less felt like playing chess.
I understand that different people has different emphases on their sense when comes to appreciation of an art work or game so get more emotionally involved, some emphases on visual sense, some emphases on auditory, some emphases on logic...
I just hope that when the developer designing a game, please do not ignore us the "visually emotional" people.
Post #: 1
RE: unit ID - 4/14/2009 2:33:17 PM   
Arinvald

I agree, I have always preferred to have the Unit ID displayed on the counters.

"The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero

(in reply to scsfan)
Post #: 2
RE: unit ID - 4/14/2009 2:52:40 PM   
scsfan

I'm so glade that has someone feel the same. If I can bring it further, it will be even better to keep a regimental history, eg, the total kills, medal owned, heroic act and battle fought etc, I think those numbers can be generated by simple calculations of odds, it can give so much color and life to a game, it make you feel that it is your own army and men, a bit like the Cross of Iron but in a bigger scale.

(in reply to Arinvald)
Post #: 3
RE: unit ID - 4/14/2009 4:34:29 PM   
Rick

quote:

ORIGINAL: scsfan

I'm so glade that has someone feel the same. If I can bring it further, it will be even better to keep a regimental history, eg, the total kills, medal owned, heroic act and battle fought etc, I think those numbers can be generated by simple calculations of odds, it can give so much color and life to a game, it make you feel that it is your own army and men, a bit like the Cross of Iron but in a bigger scale.

I also agree - Unit ID is pretty important - it helps keep continuity going - even more importnat when you might save a save a game turn and not get back to it for another day.

Toggle option would be ideal of course.

Rick

(in reply to scsfan)
Post #: 4
RE: unit ID - 4/14/2009 10:15:13 PM   
norvandave

Good suggestions, however academic they may be, given that no activity is happening on this game now in its 9th+ year of "development".

First there is a mountain, then there is no mountain, then there is.

(in reply to Rick)
Post #: 5
RE: unit ID - 4/16/2009 8:13:21 PM   
jmlima

quote:

ORIGINAL: norvandave

Good suggestions, however academic they may be, given that no activity is happening on this game now in its 9th+ year of "development".

In all fairness , there is activity. If it is in the right or wrong direction it's open to speculation , it seems that every time there is a post saying that the game needs playtesting, the next post comes months later just to say that the game again went back for further programming, the alternate is that months later we hear that now it's the scenarios that need revamping, but they cannot be revamped until there is a 'beta' version of the game... It's a very advanced technique of development called Ouroborus...

(in reply to norvandave)
Post #: 6
RE: unit ID - 5/5/2009 1:05:40 AM   
Ludovic Coval

Some news:)

Last build is in Erik's hands. All needed updates have been done. I wished to enhance the combat report to show most of modifiers used during combat.

The main problem then came from log code that was not well suited for such a task and was rewrote at 90%. This also had an effect on combat as well since it is where log is feed. Hence the additional delay.

LC

(in reply to jmlima)
Post #: 7
RE: unit ID - 5/5/2009 1:38:37 AM   
Deathtreader

Progress!!!

Woohoo!!!!!!!!!

Rob.

So we're at war with the Russkies eh?? I suppose we really ought to invade or something. (Lonnnng pause while studying the map)
Hmmmm... big place ain't it??
- Sir Harry Flashman (1854)

(in reply to Ludovic Coval)
Post #: 8
RE: unit ID - 5/16/2009 9:33:03 PM   
rhinobones

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ludovic Coval

Last build is in Erik's hands. All needed updates have been done.

That's some really good news . . . thank you. Any chance you could also post a few scenario pictures?

Post #: 9
RE: unit ID - 5/21/2009 5:22:30 PM   
Rick

quote:

Last build is in Erik's hands. All needed updates have been done. I wished to enhance the combat report to show most of modifiers used during combat.

The main problem then came from log code that was not well suited for such a task and was rewrote at 90%. This also had an effect on combat as well since it is where log is feed. Hence the additional delay.

LC

That's great, I've been watching this thread from the beginning -

Thanks
Rick

Post #: 10
RE: unit ID - 5/21/2009 9:11:29 PM   
Ron

Thank you for the update Ludovic, it's much appreciated. After Erik's last comments in the "2008 Status" thread however I am no more the hopeful with this information. It doesn't seem like Matrix puts much priority on Battlefields. I guess they don't expect much from it, dunno.

(in reply to Rick)
Post #: 11
RE: unit ID - 6/28/2009 11:14:43 PM   
Deathtreader

quote:

LC

Soooooooooooo...............

Erik, what sayest thou??

Rob.

So we're at war with the Russkies eh?? I suppose we really ought to invade or something. (Lonnnng pause while studying the map)

Post #: 12
RE: unit ID - 6/29/2009 1:22:30 AM   
Arinvald

The lights have gone out again.

"The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero

(in reply to Deathtreader)
Post #: 13
RE: unit ID - 7/7/2009 2:14:03 AM   
Deathtreader

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deathtreader

quote:

LC

Erik, what sayest thou??

Rob.

* BUMPITY BUMP BUMP *

Post #: 14
RE: unit ID - 7/7/2009 10:22:26 AM   
James Crowley

quote:

quote:

quote:

LC

Erik, what sayest thou??

Rob.

* BUMPITY BUMP BUMP *

I second that bumpity bump bump.

IMHO this unique game should not be continually pushed back to make way for, what are essentially, re-writes or re-hashes. Give it a chance, please.

Cheers

Jim

Post #: 15
RE: unit ID - 7/7/2009 1:11:12 PM   
jmlima

Puf. With the years passing, this game is probably older than some of the re-writes that Matrix released in the past few times... Maybe it's time for 'Combined Arms : The Invisible Commander Edition'...

(in reply to James Crowley)
Post #: 16
RE: unit ID - 7/19/2009 12:38:36 AM   
scsfan

[/quote]

I second that bumpity bump bump.

IMHO this unique game should not be continually pushed back to make way for, what are essentially, re-writes or re-hashes. Give it a chance, please.

[/quote]

Certainly agree!

(in reply to James Crowley)
Post #: 17
RE: unit ID - 9/21/2009 11:22:46 PM   
Deathtreader

quote:

quote:

quote:

LC

Erik, what sayest thou??

Rob.

* BUMPITY BUMP BUMP *

ACT ONE, SCENE ONE, TAKE THREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*** BUMP***

Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Coming Soon and In Development] >> Combined Arms: World War II (formerly Battlefields!) >> unit ID Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI