The Battle Under: The Allies Fight Back

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises.

Moderators: wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

tocaff

The Battle Under: The Allies Fight Back

Post by tocaff »

I've started a PBEM with Steve and as you can guess I'm playing as the Allied side, which I'm totally new at. We've closed these AARs to eachother. If any of you would like to bounce strategies off of my dense skull, please do so as I'm learning all of the time.

I'll try to make this an enjoyable read and won't be posting the Combat Reports. I've been inspired by Cuttlefish, John III, Canoerebel and others so maybe I can rise to their lofty standards.

Reports to follow.

Disclaimer

Names of the characters are a figment of my imagination or listed in WITP as the CO of a ship, etc.
Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768
tocaff

RE: The Battle Under: The Allies Fight Back

Post by tocaff »

December 1, 1941  Washington DC

1st Lt William Smith, Annapolis Class of 1935, has just been promoted and gotten his new posting.  He's not overjoyed to be assigned to the Pentagon and even less so to be dumped into the netherworld of communications.  Hell, he knows that he's an ocean going sailor late of the cruiser Houston, not a desk weenie.  It was a painful thing to say goodbye to his fellow officers of that fine ship and fly east with tensions running so high in the Pacific.  If Japan stays it's course what choice will the US have other than war, a naval war? A friend of his has an apartment not far from the Pentagon and he's been given the keys since his buddy, Phil who also is a naval officer from his Annapolis class, has been assigned to Pearl Harbor awaiting assignment to a ship (the lucky dog).

This being a Monday morning he's reporting to his new assignment.  His section is under the command of Commander George Phillips, of who he knows nothing.  Communications, dull and boring stuff to be sure, he sighs to himself.  Well there's nothing to do except make the best of this situation and become proficient in this new job.
Todd

tocaff

Post by tocaff »

Did I mention that Steve is from the Brisbane area?  Should I claim unfair recon?  [:D]
Todd

tocaff

Post by tocaff »

December 5, 1941  Washington DC

The week has gone rapidly for Lt Smith.  He has gotten to know Commander Phillips as a gruff old naval officer who gets right to the point, is not afraid of stepping on people's toes and who doesn't stand on ceremony.  He wants you to do your job and do it well, simple as that.  He's already taken to calling Lt Phillips Bill, maybe seeing something there that he likes.  The job is more than what Lt Smith initially thought.  There is a certain joy in knowing things before the admirals do.  He has been given the task of checking in with the intercepts section on a several times a day routine.  What they're finding interesting is that Japanese military radio traffic peaked and has fallen off sharply of late.  Tracking units locations has become very difficult without the usual communications.  This is bothering to Commander Phillips when he learns of it and passes his concerns on to higher authorities. 

Not much else is happening and the office staff are looking forward to their weekend as Christmas is on the way and shopping needs to get done for those with families in the area.  Lt Smith has decided to spend his weekend chasing skirts since he's single, unattached and the DC area is awash in young females that staff the federal government's secretary pools.  He must report into the office as usual on Saturday though as the intercept section's lack of activity has raised some eyebrows and Commander Phillips wants to stay on top of things.
Todd

tocaff

Post by tocaff »

December 6, 1941  Washington DC

Lt Smith has put in a long day and there is no end in sight as Commander Phillips has asked (ordered) him to stick around as something smells rotten.  There have been some scattered reports from various sources of an increase in movement of Japanese shipping.  This could be nothing at all or, well time will tell.  There will be lots of coffee in the immediate future and cat naps at their desks while the two of them try to put together a picture from the information drifting in from far off places in the Pacific Ocean.  They both realize that events could lead to war.  [;)]
Todd

tocaff

Post by tocaff »

December 6-8, 1941  Washington DC

The skeletal staff in the bowels of the new Pentagon building are roused out of dozing as reports begin to filter in of Japanese air attacks, naval bombardments and troops landings from various points around the Pacific Ocean.  Clark airbase in the PIs has been hammered by several air strikes and the list seems to go on endlessly.

Kuatan
Vigan
Lingayen
Laoag
Wake
Guam
Makin

This is only the tip of the iceberg and Commander Phillips is pouring over the reports and looking at the maps.  The telephone is ringing constantly as higher ups want information.  Lt Smith feels as if the whole world has gone to Hell and he's the one spreading the bad news.  Reports start filtering in of ships being attacked too.  It'll take some time to sift through all of the messages and be able to present a clear picture of the events unfolding.  A briefing of the President is going on right now and the General Staff is demanding to know exactly what is going on and where.

So far the news is looking bad and Lt Smith is thinking to himself that calling it that is being charitable.  The situation gradually is coming into focus and there is no doubt that the focus of the Japanese onslaught appears to be in the PIs and Malaya.  The Commonwealth troops are reeling from the sudden ferocious assaults and the only good news seems to be that a counterattack at Naga has thrown the IJA back.  Well it's something at least.  Maybe the Army of the Phillipines is really as good as MacArthur thinks?

The USN has sortied the Pacific Fleet from PH due to sketchy reportings of a Japanese fleet sighted to the NW of the base. 
Todd

tocaff

Post by tocaff »

December 9-12  Washington DC

Commander Phillips asks Lt Smith into his office and tells him to shut the door.  "Bill, what the hell is this request for a transfer?  You know that I need you here.  I want you to withdraw the request, for now.  You know that the Navy needs to fill out ship crews and that new vessels will be sliding off the ways faster than we can imagine.  This'll require men like you and me, so please, for now, stick around."

Bill answers with a sullen look on his face, "Aye, aye.  But you know that I'll resubmit the request George.  I'll keep giving it to you until I can get into this fight."

The fact that the two men are on a first name basis in so short a time is a testament to the bond between them that is growing from their mutual respect.

Bill goes back to his office and lies down on the cot that's now there.  The visits to the apartment are short and irregular.  He lies there thinking of the latest reports, all of which are gloomy.

Wake, Guam, Nanchang, Makin, Legaspi, Vigan, Kuatan, Lingayen and Laoag have all fallen.  Other spots on the map are under attack.  Hong Kong is pleading for help as they hang by a thread.  IJN fleets seem to be heading for the northern coast of Borneo, though reports from the Dutch are considered suspect as there's no way to confirm anything there.

Allied shipping has taken it on the chin in the PIs as anything larger than a conoe that moves seems to get sunk.  The British and Dutch seem to be moving their shipping with light loses though.  Allied warships have fled the PIs and are basing with the Dutch fleet.  Force Z has retreated to Ceylon as the British try to build a force that can protect India and maybe do damage to the Japs as they advance on Singapore.

Meanwhile Lt Phillip Grant cools his heels at PH awaiting assignment.  He's not sure why he's been forgotten, or so it seems, but there's a war on and already it's almost a week of fighting and here he is rotting at the bar in The Royal Hawaiian Hotel in Honolulu.  Some people might consider this a lucky break as men are dying across the Pacific.

I've been on the road for the last 4 days with no internet access so with luck I'll get a turn from Steve tomorrow.
Todd

tocaff

Post by tocaff »

December 13-16 Pearl Harbor

Lt Phillip Grant continues to wait for an assignment as he reports each morning to an office to be told to report back tomorrow.  His tan is getting deeper and he thinks that he's drinking to much, there's not much else to do.  As a gunnery officer he has hopes of joining one of the BBs, but they're all at sea right now.  As a matter of fact there are only some DDs, mine warfare craft and subs at PH.  New planes are arriving daily and it seems that the skies are filled with Army planes on patrols or training missions.  He wonders where the USN is and what it's up to.

Meanwhile Bill and George sift through the comms flooding in and they see that Davao, Dadjangas, Brunei, Alor Star, Morotai and Weda have all fallen.  There is constant fighting as HK continues to hold and that's about all of the good news for the moment.  San Francisco has paniked citizens as a Japanese sub or two ply the waters around the port and the USN and Army try in vain to hunt them down.  Morale among the citizenry is low as a float plane recons the port on a daily basis.  Something, somewhere by somebody has got to slow the Japanese down.  The problem is Allied forces are scattered and ill prepared to deal with this onslaught.  There was a small skirmish between IJN cruisers and USN and Dutch ships.  The Japanese suffered a few gunnery hits and gave nothing in return.  The Allied fleet returned to base and then was order to shift ops as IJN CVs were sighted south of the PIs.
Todd

tocaff

Post by tocaff »

December 17  Moscow

Uncle Joe rages at this latest Japanese transgression and orders the following note sent to the Japanese embassy.

Sirs:

Any further border crossings, mistake or otherwise, will be viewed as an act of war.

J Stalin, Chairman

The Japanese claim an error by a unit commander and for now the Soviets are content with a repositioning of forces, increased training and a heightened state of alert in the area.  Knowing the Soviets and their penchant for doing whatever they deem proper at the moment it's a tough call about what the Japanese can expect. 

Hong Kong has fallen.  Allied naval assets, Dutch and American, are being repositioned due to the threat of air attacks.  This renders the surface force assembled in the area less of a threat as the sailing times increase.
Todd

tocaff

Post by tocaff »

December 18  Moscow

Molotov and Stalin are in conference discussing the pressure being brought to bear by London and Washington to declare war on Japan.  Stalin is enraged that the Japanese have flown many recon missions in the last day and 2 air attacks, 1 each, on Borzya and Khabarovsk were reported.  He's screaming at the top of his lungs now. "So Tokyo was lying through their teeth about the incursion?  Well if it's war they want, then it's war that they get.  This time it will end differently for Japan than when an inept Czarist Russia fought them." 
Molotov cautions, "Don't forget that we're not prepared to fight the Japanese right now and the Germans still advance deeper into the Rodina.  Why don't we demand an official apology from Tojo and prepare?  We will hit them suddenly and hard when they least expect it.  If they pull this again then fight, but the raids were small and did little damage."
Stalin peers at his minister and tells him to send a dispatch to Tokyo demanding a cessation immediately or a declaration of war will be declared.  He has decided that Tojo and Hitler are both trecherous dogs and that they must be dealt with.  He will attack the Japanese forces as soon as his forces are brought up to full strength and the Japanese shift some troops elsewhere. 

Meanwhile back in Washington DC word has come in that Aparri has fallen and that American and Phillipino troops are reeling in retreat.  Naga is still held but the Japanese are building up a large force for what appears to be another go at taking it.

The IJN appears to have some carrier assets in the Borneo area, but exactly what isn't clear yet.  Where is the KB wonder Bill and George and why hasn't anything concrete on it's location surfaced yet?  If they can't give an accurate assessment to the General Staff how can forces be allocated properly to slow the onslaught?
Todd

tocaff

Post by tocaff »

If at any time any of you readers would care to throw some hints in my direction concerning prosecution of the war or the AAR itself, please feel free to do so. 
Todd

tocaff

Post by tocaff »

December 18  Berlin

Hitler has accepted the resignation of Field Marshll von Brauchitch as head of OKH and has taken command of the army on the Eastern Front himself.  He sacks Field Marshall von Bock and replaces him with Field Marshall von Kluge.

Stalin has received a prompt reply from Tojo and a fragile peace will hold between Japan and the Soviets, for a while longer.  After all Uncle Joe is now in a good mood as the Germans are retreating from the approaches to Moscow.  The Germans aren't supermen after all, me thinks.  The Japanese will be dealt with as soon as things turn in the war to save the Rodina as the Northern and Southern areas are not going well for the moment.

Washington has intercepted communications between Moscow and Tokyo and FDR can be heard 10 blocks from the White House as he thunders "They did what?"  It seems that the Japanese "mistakingly" had troops cross into Soviet territory and Tokyo issued an apology and immediately pulled them back.  The next day recon flights were flown and 2 air raids conducted.  Stalin issued an ultimatum and Tojo agreed to resume the uneasy truce in the area.  Chruchill has contacted FDR and is livid about Russia's not entering into conflict with the Japanese.  "Another front is what we need the Japs to be fighting on to give us some time."  FDR agrees, but there's nothing to do except apply limited political pressure.  Harry Hopkins will be meeting secretly with Molotov in the very near future.
Todd

tocaff

Post by tocaff »

December 19, 1941  Washington DC

News arrives of the fall of Tavoy and Taiping is virtually defenseless and the IJA has arrived in force.  This will cut off all hopes of any retreat for the Commonwealth troops in Khota Bharu.

China continues to see bloody assaults by the IJA and yet the Nationalist Chinese are giving good account of themselves.

Submarine activity in the SF area continues with 2 confirmed IJN subs spotted within 100 miles of the harbor.  Somebody will have hell to pay if this isn't cleaned up and soon. 

Commander Phillips has just received orders for his reassignment to SF.  He informs Bill that until somebody new comes in he's in charge effective immediately.  They wish each other luck and Bill accompanies George to Union Station.

In Hawaii Phil continues to wait for his new orders.  Is it possible that the USN has no use for him for this long?  He still sees relatively little activity in PH considering that there's a war on.  Where the hell is the fleet?  Is it possible that the entire Pacific Fleet sailed to do battle with the IJN already?  He's suffering from to much time on his hands with nothing to do.

Todd

tocaff

Post by tocaff »

December 20, 1941  Washington DC

Bill sits in the office thinking that he's the only unlucky soul in the US military.  His boss is gone, the war is raging and he's stuck in DC.  He sifts through more comms and sees that the Chinese in Changsha are still holding despite increased pressure.  Rabul is under attack, both naval bombardment and amphib assault.  He looks at the map to find Rabul's location and is stunned.  The Japs have advanced this far this fast?  He reads on and see that Kuala Lampur has fallen.  Another day of reports that will make the brass unhappy for a change.

Aboard a train that's Chicago bound George sleeps peacefully.

In PH Phil faces another day of the same.

In Manila Bay another merchantman readies to make the run to safety.  Reports state that the IJN has loosened it's noose in the PIs and moved on.  There are reports of air attacks on ships trying to flee the PIs though.

Todd

tocaff

Post by tocaff »

December 21, 1941  180 nm WSW of Manila, Phillipine Islands

The night is dark, the air is warm and the seas are calm.  The crew of the SS Capillo are trying to get some sleep, but their nerves make this a difficult task.  Their captain is an old hand and they figure that if anybody can get them to safety, he will.  Suddenly the ship shudders and is lifted upwards accompanied by 2 huge explosions in quick succession.  The unlucky vessel has been hit by 2 Long Lance torpedos and sinks almost immediately.  The few survivors are struggling to reach anything that floats.  This seems to be the fate of all vessels trying to elude the Japs.

Bill reviews the day's events and notes that Tuguegarao, Taiping and Kavieng have fallen.  Rabul is under heavy attack and the Aussies are trying to mount an effective defense.  The pattern is all to common.  The Japanese rule the skies and seas, making the taking of these far flung outposts all the easier.  He's aware that Pearl Harbor has requested immediate resupply and troops, if possible. 

Phil reports again with the hope of an assignment.  On the way to the base he sees that overnight it's become a crowded hive of activity.  He sees BBs, CVs, CAs, hell the fleet is back!  He's told to report back tomorrow.

In Moscow it's noted that things in the Far East Command have returned to the dull, normal routine and the focus remains firmly on dealing with the German invaders.

A joint Dutch and American surface fleet is into the second day of it's current mission in which they hope to intercept a Japanese convoy.

In SF large convoy gets under way with a destination of PH despite Japanese sub activity in the area.  It's imperative that this convoy reach PH.
Todd

Hornblower

Post by Hornblower »

Good Luck [:)]
tocaff

Post by tocaff »

Thanks, I'll need it with the way things go for the Allies early on.  I hope you enjoy the story as it unfolds.
Todd

tocaff

Post by tocaff »

December 22, 1941 

The submarine Tarpon hauls a single survivor of the SS Capillo out of the water.  Commander Wallace, the Tarpon's skipper, had to wait a few hours for the IJN TF, which consisted of 2 crusiers and 5 destroyers, to vacate the area before he could conduct rescue ops.  They have saved a 17 year old boy named Damon "Red" Gaffney.  The crew of the Tarpon are going out of their way for the boy.  Red tells them that he was off duty at the time of the attack and that he was on deck looking out at the sea.  The next thing he knew was that he was flying through the air and landing in the ocean.  He also jokes that the swimming lessons he never took would've been almost as usefull as the hatch cover he was found lying on.  Until the Tarpon makes port Red is a guest of the USN.

Phil reports for orders and as usual the answer is the same. 

Bill sees the reports of more ship sinkings.  That naval TF bombarded Morotai, but found no shipping there.  Rabul and Khota Bharu remain in Allied hands despite the Japanese attacks.  Manila's harbor was subjected to an air raid, it's first, and a number of subs were sunk or badly damaged.  Is there any place in the Pacific that the Japanese can't reach?

A Japanese sub was detected and attacked as the large convoy sailed for PH.  The question is did it report the convoy or possibly it missed spotting it?
Todd

tocaff

Post by tocaff »

December 23, 1941

The cramped spaces (why called s paces when none exist?) are giving Red the heebeejeebies already.  His time on board the Tarpon have already taught him why subs are called pig boats.  Hot bunking, body odor, the smell of machinery is making him claustrophobic.  When the sub surfaces at night he's allowed to go topside for some fresh air.  Red can't wait to reach port and sign onto another ship to get back stateside where he plans to enlist in the USN and reap his revenge for those who died on the Capillo.

The Allied TF that bombarded Morotai was ordered north and they are rewarded with finding 3 unescorted APs.  One is sunk another left burning and the third is damaged.  They will return to base as lingering is to dangerous.  All in all it's a poor showing for a naval TF made up of cruisers and destroyers.  The experience gained is valuable though.

Bill has a day go by where he notes that no Allied bases have fallen.  He doesn't get up any false hopes as nothing has changed for the poor slobs on the ill prepared front lines.

George is now on a train bound for Denver, where he will change to one bound for SF.

Phil is ordered to report at 0600 the following day to receive his new posting.
Todd

tocaff

Post by tocaff »

December 23 1941 

Continued after my being interrupted by a huge T-storm.  The nerve of Mother Nature disrupting my having a beer in the yard and playing WITP.

Phil has hopes of joining up with one of the BBs or CAs and expects this, though the military has a knack of being nondiscriminatory based on qualifications so he retreats to the beach a bundle of nerves.

Back on the Tarpon orders have been received so a course for a new patrol area is plotted.  It was expected that hunting in the waters around the PIs would be a target rich environment, but it hasn't worked out that way.
Todd

Return to “After Action Reports”