Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week Da Vinci's Art of WarCivil War II Patch 1.4 public BetaHappy Easter!Battle Academy is now available on SteamPlayers compare Ageods Civil War to Civil War IIDeal of the week - An updated War in the East goes half Price!Sign up for the Qvadriga beta for iPad and Android!Come and say hi at Pax and SaluteLegends of War goes on sale!Piercing Fortress Europa Gets Updated
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Another "Strike North" variant

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Scenario Design >> Another "Strike North" variant Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Another "Strike North" variant - 4/1/2009 1:47:18 PM   
Historiker

I think about changeing IATB-BS-SN to another scenario: IATB-BS-RC = Russia Conquered.

In my testgame of IATB-SN, its rather boring. No naval action, limited air action once the airfields are closed and as we all know, the bad ground combat modelling which is both unimpressive and unpredictable.

The idea is to jump forward to the date when Russia is conquered. To keep it easy, I'd simply jump to the 1st of May 1942. This will - if taken an avarege player - do nothing than jump ahead of the boring first month when the Japanese player has to bite through european russia.
Moreover, it'll free all the russian slots of aircraft, airgroups, ships and ground forces - a great variety of possibilitys!
In game terms, if all ground forces are thrown against Russia, it should be defeated then. Moreover, as its may, Britain can immediately upgrade its air groups.

The questions now are:
- How much should the Allies be reinforced?
I thought about expanding some significant airfields and reduceing the disabled percentage of every allied unit in Malaya, Burma, DEI, PI and the pacific to 10%.
- How many - and which - additional units can be transfered to Malaya, Burma, PI and the significant islands (especially Guam and Wake) in the Pacific?
- How much new PI ground units can be recruited and traied (at least rudimentary) by McArthur meanwhile?

Without any doubt: I am the spawn of evil - and the Bavarian Beer Monster (BBM)!

There's only one bad word and that's taxes. If any other word is good enough for sailors; it's good enough for you. - Ron Swanson
Post #: 1
RE: Another "Strike North" variant - 4/3/2009 2:07:08 AM   
el cid again

This is very difficult to analyse. But probably the Allies are weaker - not stronger.

More or less Russian history exaggerates - but at root it is correct: Russia won the war. It took the
majority of German assets all the time - and it tied up the strongest of Japanese armies. If it isn't in the
mix - both Germany and Japan are stronger in terms of forces available.

Now - as for Russian units no longer modeled - the only realistic option - and the actual plans and practice
of the Axis - was to substitute local regimes. Japan had "sovereign" countries in Manchuria, Jehol, Northern
China and Central China. It would probably have one in inner Mongolia as well - or a real buffer. Another
would be to restore Tannu Tuwa. Amur might be another. The number of merely Japanese allied soldiers
was in the multiple millions - without adding these countries - and not modeling them is more wrong than right.
In Central Asia would likely be a real nation - too weak to be a threat - so neither Germany nor Japan would
have to garrison - and could connect via the Trans Siberian RR. There would be a string of these like pearls
all along the RR to Europe - and Ukraine would be a country - it really being an ally of Germany as it was.

This does free air and naval slots in some numbers - but probably not land slots. The Russian army is understated - even in RHS which vastly expanded it - so it isn't even all there to eliminate.

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 2
RE: Another "Strike North" variant - 4/3/2009 8:21:13 AM   
Historiker

You are right.

If Japan really joined the war against Russia and Russia were defeated, the Allies were significantly weaker.
Thousands of German planes per year never lost and ready to fight Britain.
Millions of soldiers never lost with thousands of never lost and captured tanks can fortify "Fortress Europe" so much, that an invasion seems totally impossible.
This would mean nearly no British Ships in Asia and much more american aid for Britain. In reality, it was planned to use the russian ressources to expand all three parts of the Wehrmacht - especially the fleet!

This would mage the british parts of the witp-map defended very weakly while the US would also be weaker. Doing this while I strenthend the Japanese, this might make the game almoust even, but that isn't the intention.
I don't intend this (while I might modify it if someone is interested in an even scenario...).

I've now jumped forward in the scenario start to may 1942.
I now take all the meanwhile arrived allied units and deploy them how I consider them to realistic and how I would deploy them.
This doesn't mean 5 Divisions on Tarawa but a Guam with maybe one or two RCTs etc.

Can I use the russian slots for Japanese land units, too? Or are they fixed for allied units?

Without any doubt: I am the spawn of evil - and the Bavarian Beer Monster (BBM)!

There's only one bad word and that's taxes. If any other word is good enough for sailors; it's good enough for you. - Ron Swanson

(in reply to el cid again)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Scenario Design >> Another "Strike North" variant Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI