Matrix Games Forums

New Screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations WOTYCommand: Modern Air/Naval Operations WOTY is now available!Frontline : The Longest Day Announced and in Beta!Command gets Wargame of the Year EditionDeal of the Week: Pandora SeriesPandora: Eclipse of Nashira is now availableDistant Worlds Gets another updateHell is Approaching Deal of the Week Battle Academy
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Mods and Installation of AE

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Mods and Installation of AE Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Mods and Installation of AE - 3/20/2009 2:23:28 PM   
Yank

I was wondering about dual installations of AE. Is it just as simple as doing a second installation in a different directory on my hard drive during the installation process? Are there any issues to be aware of with having/managing two versions of the game on one computer?

I'm thinking I'll keep a pristine (un-modded) version for my PBEM game, but since it appears to be so easy to use the editor for mods, I might actually tinker around with it a bit and maybe make some changes, which is something I never would have considered in WITP. I would use the second installation for my modding purposes.

And I have another boring logistical question too relating to mods and PBEM...so if I make a modification, let's say I tinker with an OOB or change the attrributes for a certain unit, and my e-mail partner and I decide we like it for a new game...how does my partner synch up with my changes? Would he go into the editor and make the exact same changes I did by hand? Are these edits embedded in a game scenario file, so we would just share the scenario file?

As you can tell I am completely new to modding and quite clueless about the whole thing. I never did anything to my WITP installation beyond updating with the official patches. Thanks
Post #: 1
RE: Mods and Installation of AE - 3/20/2009 2:30:01 PM   
jwilkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yank

I was wondering about dual installations of AE. Is it just as simple as doing a second installation in a different directory on my hard drive during the installation process? Are there any issues to be aware of with having/managing two versions of the game on one computer?

Yes it is that simple.
No - there are no issues with multiple versions. I had various 1-2 dozen installations on my system for years - no issues - except maybe remembering which installation is for which purpose - though I try to name them accordingly.

quote:

I'm thinking I'll keep a pristine (un-modded) version for my PBEM game, but since it appears to be so easy to use the editor for mods, I might actually tinker around with it a bit and maybe make some changes, which is something I never would have considered in WITP. I would use the second installation for my modding purposes.

I do same for my major mods

quote:

And I have another boring logistical question too relating to mods and PBEM...so if I make a modification, let's say I tinker with an OOB or change the attrributes for a certain unit, and my e-mail partner and I decide we like it for a new game...how does my partner synch up with my changes? Would he go into the editor and make the exact same changes I did by hand? Are these edits embedded in a game scenario file, so we would just share the scenario file?

The Japanese play needs to have the scenario files to start the new game. So if you are playing Japanese you would not even need to send the files to your opponent. However, I believe it is proper to send the scenario files regardless. This allows your opponent to look at them before the game starts.

quote:

As you can tell I am completely new to modding and quite clueless about the whole thing. I never did anything to my WITP installation beyond updating with the official patches. Thanks

It's easy once you've had some practice.

AE Project Lead

(in reply to Yank)
Post #: 2
RE: Mods and Installation of AE - 3/20/2009 4:12:24 PM   
MadmanRick

JW,
    Let me be the first to ask....

Can I bum one of those "1-2 dozen installations" from ya?? I promise I'll keep it a secret between us!!

Rick

"Our lives begin to end the moment we become silent about things that matter". Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 3
RE: Mods and Installation of AE - 3/20/2009 6:29:49 PM   
m10bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: MadmanRick

JW,
    Let me be the first to ask....

Can I bum one of those "1-2 dozen installations" from ya?? I promise I'll keep it a secret between us!!

Rick

well.....Connie Chung will know...........

(in reply to MadmanRick)
Post #: 4
RE: Mods and Installation of AE - 3/20/2009 6:53:11 PM   
ChickenOfTheSea

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yank

Actually it is even simpler than that in WITP and, I assume, in AE. Do one pristine installation and for mods, just copy the WITP folder to another directory (in vista I copy to my user directory), make the modifications you want, rename the folder and move it to wherever you want. I currently have a couple of PBEM games of RHS going each in its own separate folder. With modern hard drives there is plenty of space and you can save yourself a lot of confusion this way.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is. - Manfred Eigen

(in reply to Yank)
Post #: 5
RE: Mods and Installation of AE - 3/21/2009 12:58:59 AM   
wdolson

Installation of AE and WitP is essentially the same procedure.  So one installation and copy to another folder also works.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to ChickenOfTheSea)
Post #: 6
RE: Mods and Installation of AE - 3/21/2009 10:42:13 AM   
Whipple

Speaking of installation: When we install AE over WiTP, does it matter which version of WiTP we have upgraded to? i.e. is it the original release or the latest patch that is required to be installed over? I appologize if this detail has been covered before and I missed it.

Whipple

MMCS(SW/AW) 1981-2001
1981 RTC, SD
81-82 NPS, Orlando
82-85 NPTU, Idaho Falls
85-90 USS Truxtun (CGN-35)
90-93 USS George Washington (CVN-73)
93-96 NFAS Orlando
96-01 Navsea-08/Naval Reactors

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 7
RE: Mods and Installation of AE - 3/21/2009 10:58:01 AM   
Halsey

Any WITP installation will do.

It will be a complete seperate install.
So it's moddable from the start.

AE WITP Land Air Bitmap downloads

https://sites.google.com/site/aewitplandairartwork/home/ae-witp-bitmap-downloads

(in reply to Whipple)
Post #: 8
RE: Mods and Installation of AE - 3/21/2009 11:52:25 AM   
wdolson

Yes, AE will install in it's own folder and WitP will still be playable in the old folder.  All the installer looks for is a properly installed copy of WitP.  I don't believe the version matters.

Bill

(in reply to Halsey)
Post #: 9
RE: Mods and Installation of AE - 3/22/2009 2:49:46 AM   
1275psi

This might sound dumb...........
I have the CHS Mod -and use the mod selector that they developed for that -will AE work with that?

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 10
RE: Mods and Installation of AE - 3/22/2009 2:56:57 AM   
wdolson

AE installs separately.  So it doesn't matter how you've modded your original installation.  All the AE installer wants to see is that there is a valid installation of the original game.  Even if it's been modded with CHS, RHS, or any of the other mods, it will qualify.

Bill

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 11
RE: Mods and Installation of AE - 3/22/2009 3:06:10 AM   
2ndACR

If you have Vista, and just copy your folder over, well there is 1-2 hidden files that will not get copied. You have to unhide them and copy them over.

At least I had to do that, first time I had Vista and tried a multiple install of WITP (had 4 using XP) I had immediate CTD's when trying to load up and of the copied WITP......took some time and had to be pointed to them searching the forum.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 12
RE: Mods and Installation of AE - 3/22/2009 3:08:35 AM   
Terminus

Gotta love Vista... No wait, that's not right, is it?

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 13
RE: Mods and Installation of AE - 3/22/2009 3:32:50 AM   
2ndACR

Actually, that is the only problem I have ever had with Vista 64.......it runs everything I have loaded up on it with no problems.

I am trying to remember what file/s were hidden from me.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 14
RE: Mods and Installation of AE - 3/22/2009 3:41:09 AM   
ChickenOfTheSea

quote:

ORIGINAL: 2ndACR

If you have Vista, and just copy your folder over, well there is 1-2 hidden files that will not get copied. You have to unhide them and copy them over.

At least I had to do that, first time I had Vista and tried a multiple install of WITP (had 4 using XP) I had immediate CTD's when trying to load up and of the copied WITP......took some time and had to be pointed to them searching the forum.

I had the same problem by just copying the folder in the same directory. That's why I copy to my user directory, modify, and cut and paste it back to the matrix games directory. That has worked for me every time.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is. - Manfred Eigen

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 15
RE: Mods and Installation of AE - 3/22/2009 4:08:00 AM   
jwilkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: 2ndACR

This happens to some folks in XP as well. Depends on your folder settings. This is why I don't just tell people to "copy your installation" because "it depends" on your settings.

AE Project Lead

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 16
RE: Mods and Installation of AE - 3/22/2009 4:34:18 AM   
wdolson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Gotta love Vista... No wait, that's not right, is it?

Only in a Dr Strangelove kind of way.

Bill

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 17
RE: Mods and Installation of AE - 3/23/2009 6:23:31 PM   
undercovergeek

quote:

The Japanese play needs to have the scenario files to start the new game. So if you are playing Japanese you would not even need to send the files to your opponent. However, I believe it is proper to send the scenario files regardless. This allows your opponent to look at them before the game starts.

So if i change the properties of a zero as the jap player, when i send turn 1 this new property goes across with the turn? The allied player doesnt need that property change in his game files? just a message from me saying ive changed the zero?

Cool..... does witp do this?

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 18
RE: Mods and Installation of AE - 3/23/2009 7:22:44 PM   
Nomad

quote:

ORIGINAL: undercovergeek

quote:

So if i change the properties of a zero as the jap player, when i send turn 1 this new property goes across with the turn? The allied player doesnt need that property change in his game files? just a message from me saying ive changed the zero?

Cool..... does witp do this?

That is the way it has always been. The scenario files are read one time only, when the Japanese player initiates a new PBEM game. Whatever is in his scenario files is what is in the game until the end. ( Except for that version 1.6 database upgrade thing Mike Wood put in. )

Don't ask me any questions, apparently I know nothing about WitP:AE

(in reply to undercovergeek)
Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Mods and Installation of AE Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI