Mods and Installation of AE

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Yank

Mods and Installation of AE

Post by Yank »

I was wondering about dual installations of AE. Is it just as simple as doing a second installation in a different directory on my hard drive during the installation process? Are there any issues to be aware of with having/managing two versions of the game on one computer?

I'm thinking I'll keep a pristine (un-modded) version for my PBEM game, but since it appears to be so easy to use the editor for mods, I might actually tinker around with it a bit and maybe make some changes, which is something I never would have considered in WITP. I would use the second installation for my modding purposes.

And I have another boring logistical question too relating to mods and PBEM...so if I make a modification, let's say I tinker with an OOB or change the attrributes for a certain unit, and my e-mail partner and I decide we like it for a new game...how does my partner synch up with my changes? Would he go into the editor and make the exact same changes I did by hand? Are these edits embedded in a game scenario file, so we would just share the scenario file?

As you can tell I am completely new to modding and quite clueless about the whole thing. I never did anything to my WITP installation beyond updating with the official patches. Thanks
Ils ne passeront pas

jwilkerson

RE: Mods and Installation of AE

Post by jwilkerson »

ORIGINAL: Yank

I was wondering about dual installations of AE. Is it just as simple as doing a second installation in a different directory on my hard drive during the installation process? Are there any issues to be aware of with having/managing two versions of the game on one computer?
Yes it is that simple.
No - there are no issues with multiple versions. I had various 1-2 dozen installations on my system for years - no issues - except maybe remembering which installation is for which purpose - though I try to name them accordingly.
I'm thinking I'll keep a pristine (un-modded) version for my PBEM game, but since it appears to be so easy to use the editor for mods, I might actually tinker around with it a bit and maybe make some changes, which is something I never would have considered in WITP. I would use the second installation for my modding purposes.
I do same for my major mods
And I have another boring logistical question too relating to mods and PBEM...so if I make a modification, let's say I tinker with an OOB or change the attrributes for a certain unit, and my e-mail partner and I decide we like it for a new game...how does my partner synch up with my changes? Would he go into the editor and make the exact same changes I did by hand? Are these edits embedded in a game scenario file, so we would just share the scenario file?
The Japanese play needs to have the scenario files to start the new game. So if you are playing Japanese you would not even need to send the files to your opponent. However, I believe it is proper to send the scenario files regardless. This allows your opponent to look at them before the game starts.
As you can tell I am completely new to modding and quite clueless about the whole thing. I never did anything to my WITP installation beyond updating with the official patches. Thanks

It's easy once you've had some practice.
[:)]
AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead
MadmanRick

Post by MadmanRick »

JW,
     Let me be the first to ask....

Can I bum one of those "1-2 dozen installations" from ya?? I promise I'll keep it a secret between us!! [:D]

Rick
"Our lives begin to end the moment we become silent about things that matter". Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
m10bob

Post by m10bob »

ORIGINAL: MadmanRick

JW,
    Let me be the first to ask....

Can I bum one of those "1-2 dozen installations" from ya?? I promise I'll keep it a secret between us!! [:D]

Rick

well.....Connie Chung will know...........[:D]

ChickenOfTheSea

Post by ChickenOfTheSea »

ORIGINAL: Yank

Actually it is even simpler than that in WITP and, I assume, in AE. Do one pristine installation and for mods, just copy the WITP folder to another directory (in vista I copy to my user directory), make the modifications you want, rename the folder and move it to wherever you want. I currently have a couple of PBEM games of RHS going each in its own separate folder. With modern hard drives there is plenty of space and you can save yourself a lot of confusion this way.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is. - Manfred Eigen
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

Installation of AE and WitP is essentially the same procedure.  So one installation and copy to another folder also works.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
whippleofd

Post by whippleofd »

Speaking of installation: When we install AE over WiTP, does it matter which version of WiTP we have upgraded to? i.e. is it the original release or the latest patch that is required to be installed over? I appologize if this detail has been covered before and I missed it.

Whipple
MMCS(SW/AW) 1981-2001
1981 RTC, SD
81-82 NPS, Orlando
82-85 NPTU, Idaho Falls
85-90 USS Truxtun (CGN-35)
90-93 USS George Washington (CVN-73)
93-96 NFAS Orlando
96-01 Navsea-08/Naval Reactors
Halsey

Post by Halsey »

Any WITP installation will do.

It will be a complete seperate install.
So it's moddable from the start.[;)]

wdolson

Post by wdolson »

Yes, AE will install in it's own folder and WitP will still be playable in the old folder.  All the installer looks for is a properly installed copy of WitP.  I don't believe the version matters.

Bill
1275psi

Post by 1275psi »

This might sound dumb...........[8|]
I have the CHS Mod -and use the mod selector that they developed for that -will AE work with that?[&:]
big seas, fast ships, life tastes better with salt
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

AE installs separately.  So it doesn't matter how you've modded your original installation.  All the AE installer wants to see is that there is a valid installation of the original game.  Even if it's been modded with CHS, RHS, or any of the other mods, it will qualify.

Bill
2ndACR

Post by 2ndACR »

If you have Vista, and just copy your folder over, well there is 1-2 hidden files that will not get copied. You have to unhide them and copy them over.

At least I had to do that, first time I had Vista and tried a multiple install of WITP (had 4 using XP) I had immediate CTD's when trying to load up and of the copied WITP......took some time and had to be pointed to them searching the forum.
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

Gotta love Vista... No wait, that's not right, is it?[:D]
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
2ndACR

Post by 2ndACR »

Actually, that is the only problem I have ever had with Vista 64.......it runs everything I have loaded up on it with no problems.

I am trying to remember what file/s were hidden from me.
ChickenOfTheSea

Post by ChickenOfTheSea »

ORIGINAL: 2ndACR

If you have Vista, and just copy your folder over, well there is 1-2 hidden files that will not get copied. You have to unhide them and copy them over.

At least I had to do that, first time I had Vista and tried a multiple install of WITP (had 4 using XP) I had immediate CTD's when trying to load up and of the copied WITP......took some time and had to be pointed to them searching the forum.

I had the same problem by just copying the folder in the same directory. That's why I copy to my user directory, modify, and cut and paste it back to the matrix games directory. That has worked for me every time.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is. - Manfred Eigen
jwilkerson

Post by jwilkerson »

ORIGINAL: 2ndACR

This happens to some folks in XP as well. Depends on your folder settings. This is why I don't just tell people to "copy your installation" because "it depends" on your settings.
AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Gotta love Vista... No wait, that's not right, is it?[:D]

Only in a Dr Strangelove kind of way.

Bill
undercovergeek

Post by undercovergeek »

The Japanese play needs to have the scenario files to start the new game. So if you are playing Japanese you would not even need to send the files to your opponent. However, I believe it is proper to send the scenario files regardless. This allows your opponent to look at them before the game starts.

So if i change the properties of a zero as the jap player, when i send turn 1 this new property goes across with the turn? The allied player doesnt need that property change in his game files? just a message from me saying ive changed the zero?

Cool..... does witp do this?
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

ORIGINAL: undercovergeek

So if i change the properties of a zero as the jap player, when i send turn 1 this new property goes across with the turn? The allied player doesnt need that property change in his game files? just a message from me saying ive changed the zero?

Cool..... does witp do this?

That is the way it has always been. The scenario files are read one time only, when the Japanese player initiates a new PBEM game. Whatever is in his scenario files is what is in the game until the end. ( Except for that version 1.6 database upgrade thing Mike Wood put in. [:D])

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”