Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Wif computer game

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Wif computer game Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Wif computer game - 3/13/2009 2:22:23 AM   
willycube

I am new to this game but not war games, I am used to fog of war in my other games, [SC series] was it possible to have fog of war in the board game or were all the asset counters shown at all times? Will there be some kind of fog of war in the computer game?
Will the dice roll be shown or just the result? I read some of the rules of the board game, will the computer game handle combat and other moves just like the board game meaning turning over counters etc? Will damage be shown on the counter that took damage if it is not totally destroyed.

Willy
Post #: 1
RE: Wif computer game - 3/13/2009 7:26:01 AM   
csharpmao

quote:

ORIGINAL: willycube
I am new to this game but not war games, I am used to fog of war in my other games, [SC series] was it possible to have fog of war in the board game or were all the asset counters shown at all times? Will there be some kind of fog of war in the computer game?

No, this game is an adaptation of a real board game, and as such, will display all the counter on the board. I think I've heard that maybe fog of war will be an option in a second version of the game.

quote:

Will the dice roll be shown or just the result? I read some of the rules of the board game, will the computer game handle combat and other moves just like the board game meaning turning over counters etc? Will damage be shown on the counter that took damage if it is not totally destroyed.

No idea for dice result.
Computer will sure turn the counter when necessary, but in this game, there is no partially destroyed unit.
After a combat, a unit can
- Be safe
- Be destroyed
- Retreat if possible
- Be put in the next turn reinforement.

Regards,

Sharpmao

(in reply to willycube)
Post #: 2
RE: Wif computer game - 3/13/2009 8:52:30 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: csharpmao

quote:

No, this game is an adaptation of a real board game, and as such, will display all the counter on the board. I think I've heard that maybe fog of war will be an option in a second version of the game.

quote:

No idea for dice result.
Computer will sure turn the counter when necessary, but in this game, there is no partially destroyed unit.
After a combat, a unit can
- Be safe
- Be destroyed
- Retreat if possible
- Be put in the next turn reinforement.

Regards,

Sharpmao

Yes.

Seeing the "die roll" is optional for the most part. In some instances, it's display is standard.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to csharpmao)
Post #: 3
RE: Wif computer game - 3/13/2009 3:18:57 PM   
willycube

Thank you gentlemen for your replies, if no fog of war how do you suprise someone your playing or the AI with an invasion of a particular hex. Won't they see the buildup for the invasion even if their not sure which hex will be invaded?

Willy

(in reply to willycube)
Post #: 4
RE: Wif computer game - 3/13/2009 5:39:11 PM   
composer99

WiF is not a game that deals in surprise so much as uncertainty: yes, you can see your opponents building up invasion forces in England to unleash them somewhere in occupied Europe along the Channel and North Sea (both part of the same sea zone in WiF), but as you said - you don't know precisely where they are going to land. Furthermore, you generally don't have enough assets to cover every vulnerable hex equally, which means that no matter how well your defence is set up your opponents can probably spot somewhere where they can land where you will have a hard time dealing with it. Uncertainty and unpredictability (thanks to the vagaries of dice-rolling, or random-number generation in MWiF) pretty much generate a form of fog of war even when you can see all the units everyone has on the board.

~ Composer99

(in reply to willycube)
Post #: 5
RE: Wif computer game - 3/13/2009 6:37:03 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: composer99

WiF is not a game that deals in surprise so much as uncertainty: yes, you can see your opponents building up invasion forces in England to unleash them somewhere in occupied Europe along the Channel and North Sea (both part of the same sea zone in WiF), but as you said - you don't know precisely where they are going to land. Furthermore, you generally don't have enough assets to cover every vulnerable hex equally, which means that no matter how well your defence is set up your opponents can probably spot somewhere where they can land where you will have a hard time dealing with it. Uncertainty and unpredictability (thanks to the vagaries of dice-rolling, or random-number generation in MWiF) pretty much generate a form of fog of war even when you can see all the units everyone has on the board.

Yes. It has to do with scale primarily: hexes of 90 KM across, units of corps/army size, sprinkled with divisons if that optional rule is used, and turns of 2 months (with impulses within a turn lasting from <1 week to ~1 month, depending on the weather).

There are "surprise effects" when a country first goes to war, which model the opening of Germany's Barbarossa campaign and the Japanese early attacks in the Pacific (for example).

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 6
RE: Wif computer game - 3/14/2009 5:28:33 PM   
Mike Dubost

quote:

Thank you gentlemen for your replies, if no fog of war how do you suprise someone your playing or the AI with an invasion of a particular hex. Won't they see the buildup for the invasion even if their not sure which hex will be invaded?

Willy

I think that the earlier replies to you have left out a key point. The mobility of certain units gives you a wide choice of targets from the sme staging area. Don't limit your view to just a single sea zone!

For example, the US has several 5-movement point transports that can be in service (built and on the board) as early as the end of 1942. If you place the 7-factor US Marine aboard such a transport and add a couple of battleships for shore bombardment and a few carriers for air support, you can pose a credible threat to take any unoccupied hex within 3 sea zones. 3 sea zones from Pearl Harbor brings you to Foochow on the Chinese coast, Vladivostok in Siberia, and Brisbane in Australia. Japan is only 2 sea zones away from Pearl Harbor!

Yes, the Japanese can see this build up, and can prepare counter-measures, but they can't defend every objective in this big of an area.

Now, I admit this is a bit of an extreme example, but this assumes 1 invading unit. Make a stack of invading units and more naval units, limit the range to 2 sea zones, and even a land power like Germany can threaten a landing in a very wide area.

On land, an armored unit can drive from Paris to near Marseilles in a single impulse.

< Message edited by Mike Dubost -- 3/14/2009 5:30:55 PM >

(in reply to willycube)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Wif computer game Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI