Matrix Games Forums

A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold Ask Buzz Aldrin!Pike & Shot gets Release Date and Twitch Session!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Playing Game without the CD in the drive

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Playing Game without the CD in the drive Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Playing Game without the CD in the drive - 3/13/2009 12:00:13 AM   
Gary Childress

I'd like to be able to play any game I own without popping the CD in and out of the drive. Is there a program I can use to do this?

Thanks.

Please donate to Doctors Without Borders http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org/

[Permission temporarily granted by Matrix and Slitherine to put this in my sig as of 9/23/2014 - expires 10/23/2014]
Post #: 1
RE: Playing Game without the CD in the drive - 3/13/2009 12:21:38 AM   
jjax

You would have to create an iso of the cd and run it in a virtual drive. But due to copy protection, you would have to get a crack for the given software.

Since the procedure is the same as stealing software, there is no legal program that will allow you to do this. I suggest you put up with the disks.

Come to think of it, since you own the software(you do own the software dont you) you can get the cracked iso off a torrent and play that (is that legal?).

< Message edited by jjax -- 3/13/2009 12:22:31 AM >

--JJAX

(in reply to Gary Childress)
Post #: 2
RE: Playing Game without the CD in the drive - 3/13/2009 12:39:45 AM   
Jim_H

quote:

ORIGINAL: jjax
you can get the cracked iso off a torrent and play that (is that legal?).

No, that's not legal. Even though someone may have an original, using a cracked version downloaded using BT is still breaking the law because you're using an illegally copied version.

Gary, there's no legal way to do what you're asking. As far as I remember reading about this, cracks are perfectly legal until the moment you use one. I think it's classed as reverse engineering the software, which instantly breaks the rules/law.

I think that's correct, but am happy for someone to tell me otherwise.

Do you have a specific game in mind? A number of games have this "feature" removed in later official patches, but it tends to happen only when the game has been out for a long time. You could request this via the publisher.

< Message edited by Jim_H -- 3/13/2009 12:40:49 AM >

2nd Lt. George Rice: Looks like you guys are going to be surrounded.
Richard Winters: We're paratroopers, Lieutenant, we're supposed to be surrounded.

(in reply to jjax)
Post #: 3
RE: Playing Game without the CD in the drive - 3/13/2009 4:29:22 AM   
GJK

Game Jackal works pretty good for many games.

(in reply to Jim_H)
Post #: 4
RE: Playing Game without the CD in the drive - 3/13/2009 9:49:46 AM   
sterckxe

quote:

You would have to create an iso of the cd and run it in a virtual drive. But due to copy protection, you would have to get a crack for the given software.

For many games you wouldn't. All HPS games for instance, which check for the cd in the drive, work perfectly with a virtual drive.

quote:

Since the procedure is the same as stealing software, there is no legal program that will allow you to do this.

Excuse me ??? - it's not only perfectly legal, but a great way to prevent wear and tear on your original disks, and saves you the bother of dragging them along with your portable. I've never encountered a professional who *didn't* immediatly made iso's of his MS reference disks for when on the road. MS has so totally recognized this practice that the latest Windows 7 beta only comes in an ISO.

And yes, making a backup copy (which this is) is perfectly legal in my country, even when the EULA says it's not.

Have been using the Alcohol 120% virtual drive software for this for ages. Recommended.

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

(in reply to jjax)
Post #: 5
RE: Playing Game without the CD in the drive - 3/13/2009 10:28:56 AM   
cantona2

Just find a NO CD crack, lets face it if you own the game then a NO CD crack does not mean you are stealing anything! My Matrix games, all bought online via download do not have a disk other than the backup copy of the original download with serial.

If not ISO's are the way to go. I go with the poster above, Alcohol 120%

< Message edited by cantona2 -- 3/13/2009 10:29:47 AM >

1966 was a great year for English Football...Eric was born

Banner by rogueusmc

(in reply to sterckxe)
Post #: 6
RE: Playing Game without the CD in the drive - 3/13/2009 10:41:36 AM   
Lützow

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jim_H

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gary, there's no legal way to do what you're asking. As far as I remember reading about this, cracks are perfectly legal until the moment you use one. I think it's classed as reverse engineering the software, which instantly breaks the rules/law.

It may be a break of license agreement but not illegal as long as you own an original copy of the game. At least I can't remember of a lawsuit where anyone got sentenced for using a no cd patch.

(in reply to Jim_H)
Post #: 7
RE: Playing Game without the CD in the drive - 3/13/2009 11:57:50 AM   
Terl

quote:

ORIGINAL: GJK

Game Jackal works pretty good for many games.

I use Game Jackal and it works quite well with most games I have.

(in reply to GJK)
Post #: 8
RE: Playing Game without the CD in the drive - 3/13/2009 5:18:07 PM   
Matti Kuokkanen

You're using incorrect terminology AGAIN. First off, this is disk:

And this here is called disc:

And back to topic. Some solutions have been mentioned. Now the instructions how to do it. Som games may get away with CD requirement just by updating it. Command & Conquer: Renegade is one game which gets away with need of disc when it's updated. So patch the game and try does it work without disc.

If it doesn't work that way, next thing is creation of *.ISO file and running it from virtual CD/DVD drive. Many CD/DVD writer programs can create an *.ISO file from disc in the drive. Next download & install program that makes it possible to use the *.ISO file. Alcohol 120% was mentioned. Another is DAEMON Tools. Run the program, mount *.ISO file, and play the game. If game is looking from actual disc drive, do this: uninstall game, install game again from virtual drive, patch the game, and play the game.

If game has copy protection * that prevents anything from above, simplest solution is to find & use crack. What comes to legality, I'm not lawyer, but in many parts of the world it is legal to create and use back ups regardless what EULA says.

Those who still play games from disk, just copy the bloody thing to HDD and run it from there

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to Terl)
Post #: 9
RE: Playing Game without the CD in the drive - 3/13/2009 6:14:02 PM   
Erik Rutins

Not the place for discussing this, sorry. You won't need these with our games either.

Erik Rutins
Director of Product Development

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Matti Kuokkanen)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Playing Game without the CD in the drive Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI