Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week Battle Academy Battle Academy 2 Out now!Legions of Steel ready for betaBattle Academy 2 gets trailers and Steam page!Deal of the Week Germany at WarSlitherine Group acquires Shenandoah StudioNew information and screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Pride of NationsTo End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers required
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Moving the French naval phase to second

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Empire in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> Moving the French naval phase to second Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Moving the French naval phase to second - 3/3/2009 2:18:06 AM   
Dancing Bear

Hi all,
hidden in another post is an idea to move the French naval phase to second in the naval phase, i.e. just after GB. Since GB almost always never goes first, this means, France will do her naval phase immediately after her reinforcement phase. Just like the Spainish diplomacy and reinforcement phases, this would mean a quicker turnaround (about 3.5%).
What I want to know is, would you guys be ok with this?

In other posts, Hornblower, borner and jimmer were in agreement, so with me, this makes 4 so far.
Post #: 1
RE: Moving the French naval phase to second - 3/3/2009 3:08:24 AM   
NeverMan

It would be interesting to see how this effects game play, since France goes then Spain now.

(in reply to Dancing Bear)
Post #: 2
RE: Moving the French naval phase to second - 3/3/2009 11:46:19 PM   
eske

Would steal moving first from Russia.
Fx. if France get Sweeden, Russia navy risks getting blocked immidiatly after DoW.

I'm not too keen on this. Changing sequence of navy move has high impact on the game.

/eske

Alea iacta est

(in reply to NeverMan)
Post #: 3
RE: Moving the French naval phase to second - 3/3/2009 11:51:27 PM   
NeverMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: eske

Fx. if France get Sweeden, Russia navy risks getting blocked immidiatly after DoW.

I'm not too keen on this. Changing sequence of navy move has high impact on the game.

/eske

I tend to agree with this, I just don't think it's wise.

(in reply to eske)
Post #: 4
RE: Moving the French naval phase to second - 3/4/2009 10:45:46 AM   
iamspamus

quote:

ORIGINAL: NeverMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: eske

/eske

I tend to agree with this, I just don't think it's wise.

DITTO!

(in reply to NeverMan)
Post #: 5
RE: Moving the French naval phase to second - 3/4/2009 12:16:11 PM   
DCWhitworth

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dancing Bear

Hi all,
hidden in another post is an idea to move the French naval phase to second in the naval phase, i.e. just after GB. Since GB almost always never goes first, this means, France will do her naval phase immediately after her reinforcement phase. Just like the Spainish diplomacy and reinforcement phases, this would mean a quicker turnaround (about 3.5%).
What I want to know is, would you guys be ok with this?

In other posts, Hornblower, borner and jimmer were in agreement, so with me, this makes 4 so far.

I'd disagree, the saving is illusory. France will rarely play their naval phase anyway being blockaded by GB, so you'd just end up with Russia's phase being next.

In fact with the phase skipping introduced in v1.05 I've been seeing that it's the naval phase where the greatest savings are being made. Russia, Prussia, France and Austria will usually skip and Spain and Turkey may also do so.

One game I'm in only GB and Spain played the last phase.

Regards
David

Post #: 6
RE: Moving the French naval phase to second - 3/5/2009 2:15:48 AM   
Dancing Bear

Ok, I think I have been persuaded that this might not be a good idea. I had not thought about the Russia-Sweden scenario. Let's leave the naval phase as is, and only ask for the Spainish economic phase to be moved to first (if possible).

One thing I might add about the popularity of naval phase skipping is I think it points to how popular land phase skipping (auto-foraging) would be, if it were possible. I would also imagine that reinforcement phase skipping would be done more often if there was some way of automatically adding reinforcements or adding them during some over time in the game, when strict adherence to the schedule is not necessary.

Nobody seems to want to skip diplomacy for reasons that are not clear, so this will have to be a simultaneous phase.

< Message edited by Dancing Bear -- 3/5/2009 2:37:39 AM >

(in reply to DCWhitworth)
Post #: 7
RE: Moving the French naval phase to second - 3/5/2009 1:31:26 PM   
NeverMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dancing Bear

Ok, I think I have been persuaded that this might not be a good idea. I had not thought about the Russia-Sweden scenario. Let's leave the naval phase as is, and only ask for the Spainish economic phase to be moved to first (if possible).

One thing I might add about the popularity of naval phase skipping is I think it points to how popular land phase skipping (auto-foraging) would be, if it were possible. I would also imagine that reinforcement phase skipping would be done more often if there was some way of automatically adding reinforcements or adding them during some over time in the game, when strict adherence to the schedule is not necessary.

Nobody seems to want to skip diplomacy for reasons that are not clear, so this will have to be a simultaneous phase.

If ME/Matrix makes the Eco Simul then moving Spain to first becomes a moot point. This would be my preference as even in FtF games we did the Eco Simul.

EVEN if Matrix/ME could just start out with that, making the Eco Simul, it would be great and might be a good judge of how things are to go with a Dip Simul, time wise.

Post #: 8
RE: Moving the French naval phase to second - 3/5/2009 3:11:13 PM   
Jimmer

quote:

If ME/Matrix makes the Eco Simul then moving Spain to first becomes a moot point. This would be my preference as even in FtF games we did the Eco Simul.

We did as well. The only non-simultaneous part was who GB was going to trade with, which can easily be shifted to either a beginning-of-econ "special" phase, or simply carry over from the values GB had in place at the end of land.

In fact, diplomacy was done simultaneously as well. However, in terms of the computer game, there were a dozen or so sub-diplo phases: Declarations of war (simultaneous with each other, revealed all at once); call to allies (same parenthetical notation), etc.

This brings up another point that might help some of the other discussions: How about moving the declarations of war phase into it's own phase, and leave the rest of the diplo stuff for a "second" phase. These two phases could each be simultaneous within themselves, but separated from each other.

In this way, many of the objections to making some parts of reinforcement simultaneous with diplo would evaporate. Maybe even all of them would.

At LAST! The greatest campaign board game of all time is finally available for the PC. Can my old heart stand the strain?

(in reply to NeverMan)
Post #: 9
RE: Moving the French naval phase to second - 3/5/2009 5:10:39 PM   
NeverMan

But you would then be creating 2 phases to replace 2 phases, not sure of the benefit there.

Also, I rarely played with simul Dip since I don't like it because DOWs are declared at once; HOWEVER, since the EiH PC game does this anyways, it doesn't even make sense to keep it separate phases, does it?

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 10
RE: Moving the French naval phase to second - 3/5/2009 6:34:13 PM   
Jimmer

Three phases out of two, actually (two diplos and one reinforcement). The reinforcement MIGHT be merged with diplo (sort of), but that's dependent upon the person doing skipping.

However, what it WOULD do is allow for a completely simultaneous diplomacy (after the "war phase"). Right now, the "combine diplo and reinforcement" option is merely a way to get around not being able to have simultaneous diplo. This option would remove most of the objections to simultaneous diplo.

So, in the end, we would have two phases each done simultaneously within themselves, plus reinforcement with skipping (and pseudo-merging with diplo, for skippers). Currently, there are 7 phase steps for diplo, so this would remove the equivalent of <5 (there would still be delays, even with simultaneous, so it's not the same as pulling 5 players out would be.)

NOTE: The "war phase" would also be simultaneous, within itself.

< Message edited by Jimmer -- 3/5/2009 6:35:58 PM >

At LAST! The greatest campaign board game of all time is finally available for the PC. Can my old heart stand the strain?

(in reply to NeverMan)
Post #: 11
RE: Moving the French naval phase to second - 3/5/2009 6:57:24 PM   
NeverMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jimmer

Three phases out of two, actually (two diplos and one reinforcement). The reinforcement MIGHT be merged with diplo (sort of), but that's dependent upon the person doing skipping.

However, what it WOULD do is allow for a completely simultaneous diplomacy (after the "war phase"). Right now, the "combine diplo and reinforcement" option is merely a way to get around not being able to have simultaneous diplo. This option would remove most of the objections to simultaneous diplo.

So, in the end, we would have two phases each done simultaneously within themselves, plus reinforcement with skipping (and pseudo-merging with diplo, for skippers). Currently, there are 7 phase steps for diplo, so this would remove the equivalent of <5 (there would still be delays, even with simultaneous, so it's not the same as pulling 5 players out would be.)

NOTE: The "war phase" would also be simultaneous, within itself.

Ok, I wasn't paying attention to the fact that the "war phase" would also be Simul. That would cut down some time, I believe.

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 12
RE: Moving the French naval phase to second - 3/5/2009 10:10:54 PM   
Jimmer

quote:

Ok, I wasn't paying attention to the fact that the "war phase" would also be Simul. That would cut down some time, I believe.

I think we're on the verge of something. Really, though, it belongs in the other thread. I'll think about re-writing it over there later today.

(in reply to NeverMan)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Empire in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> Moving the French naval phase to second Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI