Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Russian Front Game

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Russian Front Game Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Russian Front Game - 2/20/2009 8:18:21 PM   
ool

Is there going to be a dedicated thread to the new Russian Front game now in development? Would like to pose some questions about how the games designers are dealing with the some specific historical unit aspects. One example the NKVD units. Wherever units needed stiffening the NKVD were there. How would this be handled in the new game? In an old board game, DNO, with approximately 800 pieces covering a full sized pool table one NKVD unit in a stack would add a plus 1 modifier to the stacks defensive rating. I'm sure there are other points of interest to inquire about concerning treatment of historical units.

Post #: 1
RE: Russian Front Game - 2/21/2009 12:09:51 AM   
davetheroad

Computer War in Europe needs a forum to post questions etc but which one is a open question. There are some posts here and at armchair general but unless Decision Games recommend a place things could get messy.

The game is a sophisticated computer version of the classic game and as NKVD units had no influence on play in the original they appear to be absent from the new version.

The game has a lot less detail than DNO, IMO a good thing as you can concentrate on playing rather than worrying about all these subordinate units. It appears that players who want more historical detail will at least be able to name individual units.

(in reply to ool)
Post #: 2
RE: Russian Front Game - 2/21/2009 12:37:12 AM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: ool
Is there going to be a dedicated thread to the new Russian Front game now in development?

Meaning the new one from 2by3 Games? Yes, there will be but not quite yet.

Erik Rutins
Director of Product Development

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to ool)
Post #: 3
RE: Russian Front Game - 2/21/2009 5:21:00 AM   
Grell

I'm really looking forward to this game.

Regards,

Grell

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 4
RE: Russian Front Game - 2/22/2009 4:40:50 PM   
Daveion

I have been really looking forward to this game for....
longer than I care to remember but certainly more than 10 years now.
Needs its own thread now please.

ty

D...

(in reply to Grell)
Post #: 5
RE: Russian Front Game - 2/22/2009 5:25:06 PM   
madgamer2

it is true is it not that there is no real AI for the game you mention here?

Madgamer

(in reply to davetheroad)
Post #: 6
RE: Russian Front Game - 2/22/2009 6:31:43 PM   
flipperwasirish

quote:

ORIGINAL: madgamer

it is true is it not that there is no real AI for the game you mention here?

Madgamer

MG,

Yes, that is true, the new "Computer War in Europe" by Decision Games will have no AI at all.

Flipper

(in reply to madgamer2)
Post #: 7
RE: Russian Front Game - 2/22/2009 6:59:18 PM   
Joram

Wow, what a cop-out.

(in reply to flipperwasirish)
Post #: 8
RE: Russian Front Game - 2/22/2009 7:11:24 PM   
flipperwasirish

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joram

Wow, what a cop-out.

It really isn't a cop-out, it was a choice made by the company and supported by many of the fans. Hopefully it will be a good game to PBEM. Which is exactly what me and a friend who used to play the desktop version 20+ years ago hope for.

It will be one of my few non-Matrix purhases in 2009 (hopefully).

Flipper

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 9
RE: Russian Front Game - 2/22/2009 8:39:28 PM   
davetheroad

It is certainly not a cop out but a reasonable business decision. Look at the games title, Computer War in Europe, a modern computer version of the SPI classic which can be played hot seat just like the original or pbem. I reckon there is no AI for very good reasons, the original game did not have one, the games fans don't need one, there are already a bunch of operational WW2 games out there with AI's, those games just prove you can't design a good AI for a game of this scope, the development cost of a AI would be enormous, etc etc. Much better IMO to follow the existing route with hopefully future game enhancements based on feedback from players.

Post #: 10
RE: Russian Front Game - 2/22/2009 8:41:56 PM   
ool

Well at least you have to give them full marks for honesty. A dedicated PBEM game at least saves the company headaches about complaining posts re:AI. Been looking forward to a new and comprehensive Russian front game since I stopped playing DNO 25+ years ago. Life has a habit of getting in the way. Also a now exwife and raising quadruplets. Boy am I tired!

Post #: 11
RE: Russian Front Game - 2/22/2009 9:06:26 PM   
madgamer2

As I think back to when the "BIG BOARD GAME" became the trend it was obvious that space was the problem. I saw a computer program early on that you could sort of transfer the game to the computer thus not using a lot of space.
At first like Joram I thought it was a rip off, but there are a lot of gamers who who play such large games like that one. The computer would become the table top.

If some one does this foor the original SPI war in the Pacific (or what ever they called it) it could start a new trend. aboard games on the computer that require 2 humans to play. It could even be programed to do so0me of the book keeping stuff.
They might even have something here...stay tuned for further developments.

Madgamer

Post #: 12
RE: Russian Front Game - 2/22/2009 10:21:14 PM   
davetheroad

The demo shows that it certainly appears to do ALL the book keeping for you plus has a set of player aids which IMO transforms the ease of play from the cardboard version. The computer will even do some boring moves for you using a 'transit' move option, select your unit(s) and where you want them to go and the computer will move them there even if it takes several turns!. There are even simple stack orders concerning retreat options

There is a germ of a idea here for a player controlled  'semi' AI, for example the russian player could find use for a transit move + fortify option where the computer digs in the units when they get to their destination!. Or have a reserve option which would allow your reserve panzer division to add combat value to adjacent friendly defending units!.

I forgot, you can have 3 players, allied, german, soviet.

(in reply to madgamer2)
Post #: 13
RE: Russian Front Game - 2/23/2009 5:01:54 AM   
Jeffrey H.

Player defined orders scripts are not a new idea in computer games.

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson

(in reply to davetheroad)
Post #: 14
RE: Russian Front Game - 2/23/2009 5:54:34 PM   
zvlad

quote:

Is there going to be a dedicated thread to the new Russian Front game now in development? Would like to pose some questions about how the games designers are dealing with the some specific historical unit aspects. One example the NKVD units. Wherever units needed stiffening the NKVD were there. How would this be handled in the new game? In an old board game, DNO, with approximately 800 pieces covering a full sized pool table one NKVD unit in a stack would add a plus 1 modifier to the stacks defensive rating. I'm sure there are other points of interest to inquire about concerning treatment of historical units.

unit NKVD:

http://www.graviteam.com/files/NKVD.jpg

G.R.A.V.I.T.E.A.M.

(in reply to ool)
Post #: 15
RE: Russian Front Game - 2/24/2009 8:22:42 AM   
Joram

Maybe I was a bit harsh as some of you bring up good points.  I do think they are limiting their fanbase drastically.  However seeing this as just a board game on the computer is a good analogy.  Sadly, I gave up boardgaming for the most part because of lack of time so I and many like me are going to have to miss out yet they have gained no one that they wouldn't already have had as a fan base.

(in reply to zvlad)
Post #: 16
RE: Russian Front Game - 2/24/2009 8:43:10 AM   
Zakhal

At 2b3 there is new info about the russian front game if you havent noticed allready.

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 17
RE: Russian Front Game - 2/24/2009 1:07:27 PM   
JudgeDredd

What is computer War in Europe and where can I find details?

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 18
RE: Russian Front Game - 2/24/2009 1:12:07 PM   
JMass

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

What is computer War in Europe and where can I find details?

War in Europe Windows Edition is a computer moderated simulation of the European Theater of Operations in World War II, based on the board game of the same name. Players control ground, air, sea, strategic forces, production and politics in order to change or simulate the events of World War II. The game features brigade to corps-sized ground units, fleets of surface ships, U-Boats, transports, and amphibious assault ships, and tactical and strategic airpower.

http://www.decisiongames.com/wwii/europe/europe.htm

"Klotzen, nicht Kleckern!"Generaloberst Heinz Wilhelm Guderian

My boardgames collection: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/JMass?own=1&subtype=boardgame&ff=1

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 19
RE: Russian Front Game - 4/16/2009 6:21:01 AM   
cwie

For anyone looking for more information on "War In Europe - Windows Edition", some game-related links ...

Public forum : http://strategyandtacticspress.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewforum&f=43

youtube promo : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlrZp9M11xE

Game support email : dgtechspt1@earthlink.net

or .... ask a question!

(in reply to JMass)
Post #: 20
RE: Russian Front Game - 4/16/2009 8:17:56 PM   
madgamer2

Call me a silly old goose but when I first looked at and attempted to setup and play the old DNO Europa game my very first thought was "here is a game that could benefit from a computer.
I liked the ideas of the Europa series but the space and time and learning curve...it was a nightmare. I keep thinking that someone will buy the rights to the system and do for it what decision games is doing for the old WIE but then being 68 I will be long gone by then LOL.

Madgamer

(in reply to ool)
Post #: 21
RE: Russian Front Game - 4/16/2009 8:26:54 PM   
Jeffrey H.

quote:

ORIGINAL: madgamer

Call me a silly old goose but when I first looked at and attempted to setup and play the old DNO Europa game my very first thought was "here is a game that could benefit from a computer.
I liked the ideas of the Europa series but the space and time and learning curve...it was a nightmare. I keep thinking that someone will buy the rights to the system and do for it what decision games is doing for the old WIE but then being 68 I will be long gone by then LOL.

Madgamer

I also had trouble with the simple manual manipulation of the stacks, some of them got very much 'out of hand'.

When I first played the game, computers were something just getting off the ground so I didn't auto relate the two things. I understand what you mean though.

BTW, you're a silly old goose !...Haha.

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson

(in reply to madgamer2)
Post #: 22
RE: Russian Front Game - 4/17/2009 3:32:46 PM   
New York Jets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

quote:

Is there going to be a dedicated thread to the new Russian Front game now in development?

Meaning the new one from 2by3 Games? Yes, there will be but not quite yet.

What engine will it be based on?

"There comes a time in every man's life, and I've had plenty of 'em."

- Casey Stengel -

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 23
RE: Russian Front Game - 4/22/2009 10:14:02 PM   
Terminus

A new one.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to New York Jets)
Post #: 24
RE: Russian Front Game - 4/23/2009 12:39:56 AM   
madgamer2

Well I have decided to buy the decision games Computer Europe as I have at least one person who will play it with me. This is an even better game with the improvements that they have made. I would love to see a computer assisted version of Europa with options to handle such things as the air game etc.
If play by mail and internet are the future then this may be the future is going to go. I tried to play the board game alone but it was difficult to impossible, but in any case check it out. Playing the computer assisted game alone is a snap.

Madgamer

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 25
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Russian Front Game Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll