Matrix Games Forums

New screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold Ask Buzz Aldrin!Pike & Shot gets Release Date and Twitch Session!Deal of the Week Espana 1936War in the West coming in December!Space Program Manager will be launching on Steam
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Economy 101

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Economy 101 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Economy 101 - 2/16/2009 9:13:53 PM   
terje439

This is how the muster button looks like when it is pressed.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by terje439 -- 2/16/2009 9:14:22 PM >

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 31
RE: Economy 101 - 2/16/2009 9:15:00 PM   
terje439

Last turn I mustered in Richmond (as shown), but also in Norfolk. Both attempts were successful, I gained 2 new INF brigades, and since Governor Letcher supports the idea of mustering, I suffer no penalty in my relationship with him.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by terje439 -- 2/16/2009 9:16:11 PM >

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 32
RE: Economy 101 - 2/16/2009 9:19:05 PM   
terje439

Well, that was a brief introduction to some of the more important aspects of the game, if you have any questions, feel free to ask.
I hope you have gained some insight in the following areas;
-the importance in were you build your mines and research facilities
-how muster/conscript/impressment works
-how to change your economy from producing one thign to another
-how to build units
-how to manage the ammount of buildings you can build in a city
-the importance of moving your runners
-a little bit about railroads.

Terje

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 33
RE: Economy 101 - 2/17/2009 8:06:09 PM   
terje439

This is the buildings that can be built with all advanced settings.
The buildings under the tag "Resource Developments" all relate to the resource output of your city.
The buildings under the tag "Military Developments" all relate to your military units.
The buildings under the tag "Upgrade Developments" all relate to research.
The buildings under the tag "Logistic Developments" all relate to your military units.
The buildings under the tag "Political Developments" all relate to the state/city currently selected.

Resource Developments
Mint: This increases the output of money generated in this city. If this city is set to generate labor instead of money, building this building in this city would be a waste.
Factory: This increase the output of labor in this city. If this city is set to generate money instead of labor, building this building in this city would be a waste.
Mine: This increases the ouput of iron generated in this city. If this city is set to generate horses instead of iron, building this building in this city would be a waste.
Horse Farm: This increases the output of horses generated in this city. If this city is set to generate iron instead of horses, building this building in this city would be a waste.
Arsenal: This adds to your national production of weapons. Weapons are the one of two "resources" that does not compete with another "resource" in each city.
RR Station: This adds to your national railroad capacity. Railroad capacity is one of two "resources" that does not compete with another "resource" in each city.
Bank: This earns you an interest on SAVED money each turn. In my oppinion its high cost makes it of little use.
Iron Works: This doubles the output of iron produced in any mine in the city. This is a building you will only want to build in cities you have set to produce iron.

Military Developments
Barracks: This is needed for the building of military units in this city. More barracks in a city will allow you to build more units.
Foundry: This is needed for the building of artillery units in this city.
Shipyard: This is needed for the building of ships in this city.
Training ground: This building increases the quality of units built in this city's state.
Mfg. Center: This building increases the speed of which units are built. Too see the full power of this building, look at the build speed of military units in Boston as opposed to other cities.
Academy: These buildings trains your military containers (Div/Corps/Army), and having enough of these also unlocks the 5 star general.

Upgrade Developments
These buildings will add to the national output of research in their various fields. The only buildings in this list that are special in any way, are schools and universities.
Schools: Will give +1 to all research fields in the city.
University: Will give +1 to all research buildings built in this city. This bonus is however not added to schools. (That means a city with a School+a university, but no other research building, will still only yield +1 to all research fields (from the school)).

Logistic Developments
Camp: This building will increase the output of reinforcements each turn. This building is affected by total population of the city in which it is built. This means that they do mroe good in a city with high population (New Orleans as an example for the Confederacy). There is however a chance that a camp will reduce the available ammount of manpower in a city every April. This means that it will often be a good idea not to build these in cities were you intend to build alot of military units, as the camp might deplete the manpower needed to build brigades.
Hospital: This building reduce losses from diseases in nearby containers.
Telegraph: This doubles the reinforcement rate into the province in which it is built. It does not however increase the ammount of available reinforcements per turn.
Signal Tower: This building will give a bonus to the scouting check of your armies located in the province in which it is built.

Political Developments
Capitol: Each state needs a capitol to allow its cities to produce resources. A state capitol is a city marked with a star on the map.
Mansion: This building adds support for 4 more buildings in this city (camps does not count towards the max # of buildings in a city).
Plantation: This building is equal to a mansion in that it increases building support by 4 in its city, however it also produce +1 money, +2 labior and +2 horses in the city in which it is built. The downside to this building is that it takes a longer time to build than a mansion.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by terje439 -- 2/17/2009 8:34:14 PM >

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 34
RE: Economy 101 - 3/8/2009 4:04:42 AM   
terje439

Unit production

So, when you want to boost the number of brigades, should you muster, conscript or purchase the units?
As always there is no correct answer, however I will usually only
-muster in the first 6 months of the war
-conscript if I am really really desperate.

This is because a conscripted unit is the weakest of the units you get (moralewise like).
Mustered units are better than conscripts, but still not as good as purchased units. However in the opening months of the war, you are going to need more brigades, and mustering in those states that supports the motion of mustering will give you the needed brigades.
Purchasing units is always the best choice, this will give you units with higher morale, and it is also the only way to produce anything but Infantry. Both conscription and mustering will produce INF brigades only.

So as a rule of thumb;
conscription<muster<purchase.

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 35
RE: Economy 101 - 3/8/2009 7:18:27 PM   
GShock

A very nice explanation of how the economy works in FoF, terje.

Of course this doesn't really explain how to use it correctly in relation to the player's situation and that' s another candy the player has for this wonderful game: learn by trial and error so ur economy does what u need in a specific area, time and situation.

I guess everyone can see how detailed this is in FoF. I am curious about your settings though. I play with unbalanced economy and a small boost to USA economy (in all fields) but just Sargeant difficulty level and i use the same settings regardless of the side i play with.  What about you?

How long will you pretend you can't do anything about it? Support www.animalsasia.org

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 36
RE: Economy 101 - 3/10/2009 10:17:33 AM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: GShock

A very nice explanation of how the economy works in FoF, terje.

Of course this doesn't really explain how to use it correctly in relation to the player's situation and that' s another candy the player has for this wonderful game: learn by trial and error so ur economy does what u need in a specific area, time and situation.

I guess everyone can see how detailed this is in FoF. I am curious about your settings though. I play with unbalanced economy and a small boost to USA economy (in all fields) but just Sargeant difficulty level and i use the same settings regardless of the side i play with.  What about you?

All advanced options, full general, slight boost to the Union. Always play as the Confederacy when I play the AI. (The Union won after all IRl, so how fun is that to redo?? Now winning as the South on the other hand ).
Only option I do not use that much against the AI is the "random general" option, as I have too hard a time adjusting to a Jackson with poor-poor-poor-poor as ratings...

And I agree, (believe I also stated so??) that there is no correct way to do things in this great game.

(in reply to GShock)
Post #: 37
RE: Economy 101 - 3/10/2009 11:04:20 PM   
LarryP

Terje439: I really appreciate your AAR. I printed some of this out for my huge FOF folder and I will read it more. After not playing this game for over a year, I have come back to it with a fervor for play! Thanks a bunch for your time. Well done!

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 38
RE: Economy 101 - 3/10/2009 11:22:56 PM   
terje439

NO worries, if you have any other questions, just ask

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 39
RE: Economy 101 - 4/19/2009 2:34:08 AM   
EisenHammer

Thanks terje... for the economy 101 class

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 40
RE: Economy 101 - 4/19/2009 5:26:14 AM   
terje439

As earleir mentioned, just ask if anything is unclear

(in reply to EisenHammer)
Post #: 41
RE: Economy 101 - 5/11/2009 3:56:01 PM   
jscott991

One question:

Can you only find our your reinforcement rate (men produced each turn by camps) on the end of turn economic report?

I couldn't really find this information anywhere else.

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 42
RE: Economy 101 - 5/11/2009 4:19:42 PM   
Gil R.

The totals should be in the Economic Report -- perhaps in the "Preferences" screen you have this toggled off? Specific info on how many units went to different brigades are in the "Supply" report tab. That sort of info's too detailed to put in the main report.

(in reply to jscott991)
Post #: 43
RE: Economy 101 - 5/11/2009 4:50:38 PM   
terje439

It is also stated in the "event" screen. There you are told how many men total were distibuted (and to how many brigades).
And as Gil said, if you open the Supply tab you should be told how many men were distributed to what brigades.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 44
RE: Economy 101 - 5/11/2009 5:05:18 PM   
terje439

Reinforcements 1

Attachment (1)

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 45
RE: Economy 101 - 5/11/2009 5:05:50 PM   
terje439

Reinforcements 2.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 46
RE: Economy 101 - 5/11/2009 5:06:22 PM   
terje439

Reinforcements 3.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 47
RE: Economy 101 - 5/11/2009 5:07:01 PM   
terje439

Reinforcements 4 (final for now).

Attachment (1)

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 48
RE: Economy 101 - 5/11/2009 7:58:12 PM   
jscott991

Thank you.

On the first turn, though, I think these reports are blank.  That's what threw me.

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 49
RE: Economy 101 - 5/18/2009 7:00:02 AM   
ptan54

Does mustering lower population in a city?

(in reply to jscott991)
Post #: 50
RE: Economy 101 - 5/18/2009 8:34:47 AM   
GShock

Of course it does and so does conscription and as pop gets lower so gets the production in that city (and reinforcements coming from camps there are affected too). The cost in manpower is the same as of recruiting. 

How long will you pretend you can't do anything about it? Support www.animalsasia.org

(in reply to ptan54)
Post #: 51
RE: Economy 101 - 5/18/2009 9:09:53 AM   
terje439

Yup, Gshock is right. Mustering costs 2 population points (the cost of an INF brigade). And there is no need to try to muster in a city with one or zero population count, as this is not enough to create another INF.

(in reply to GShock)
Post #: 52
RE: Economy 101 - 5/27/2009 3:52:46 PM   
cesteman

Nice job, I think your next AAR should focus on supply as a lot of people don't understand how it works.

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 53
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Economy 101 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI