Game is completely unplayable due to hangs/lock ups

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.
jagdwolf

Game is completely unplayable due to hangs/lock ups

Post by jagdwolf »

I have to say I am pretty disgusted with Matrix right now for selling this clearly unfinished product. (Before you assume anything, my system is well over the needed specs and I have patch 1.05I installed; oh yeah and running XP - so it's not a vista issue)

It is flatly impossible to play the game for any length of time without it hanging, locking up or crashing outright. The most common area to hang seems to be siege resolution in WEGO mode, but it happens nearly as often during the breakthrough phase in strict turn mode. Those are just the most common of course, it also locks up randomly with a chance to happen at seemingly every pop up message or AI phase.

At this point I have tried multile games as different powers, different scenarios and changed every setting there is; none of makes the game stable enough to get past 4-5 turns. Saving constantly is simply not an option because trying to reload and remember what has/hasn't everywhere is just too much of a pain.
Erik Rutins

RE: Game is completely unplayable due to hangs/lock ups

Post by Erik Rutins »

If you can't get the game to work properly for you, e-mail me at erikr@matrixgames.com please.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
MorningDew

Post by MorningDew »

Do you have sounds/music enabled? From what I've seen, almost every urrent lock is related to issues with the sounds engine. Try disabling all sound/music.

Also, there is a 1.05L build on the AGEod site.
jagdwolf

Post by jagdwolf »

Fetching the 1.05L patch and trying with ALL sound disabled - already had music disabled as that was obviously causing hangs every time it swapped tracks.
jagdwolf

Post by jagdwolf »

First game off the bat after installing 1.05L - no sound effects at all enabled
CTD in military phase of August 1914
DR Watson:
The application, C:\Program Files\World War One\WW1.exe, generated an application error The error occurred on 02/09/2009 @ 11:02:04.484 The exception generated was c0000005 at address 0096A7FC (WW1)

Event Log:
Faulting application ww1.exe, version 1.0.5.9, faulting module ww1.exe, version 1.0.5.9, fault address 0x0056a7fc.

Data:
0000: 6c707041 74616369 206e6f69 6c696146
0010: 20657275 31777720 6578652e 302e3120
0020: 392e352e 206e6920 2e317777 20657865
0030: 2e302e31 20392e35 6f207461 65736666
0040: 30302074 37613635 0a0d6366

Next idea?

MorningDew

Post by MorningDew »

I'd post your save game on the AGEod forums ASAP. There is a new patch due this week. Maybe your issue has already been resolved but, if not, get it to them so they can get it resolved for the upcoming patch.
06 Maestro

Post by 06 Maestro »

Make sure that the ai logs is not checked in the game configuration-that was a big problem for many players.
Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies.

Thomas Jefferson

jagdwolf

Post by jagdwolf »

2nd Try with 1.05L  = game freeze at a newspaper popup in diplomacy phase of Sept 1914.
No idea what "AI Logs" is - there is no option/bar for it on my options menu. (I haven't changed any of the AI settings from the preset so far as I know)
Also, from what I can read of the AGEod forums, I don't have "one" issue, I have the entire slew of game crashes and hangs this game seems to be plagued with.
jagdwolf

Post by jagdwolf »

Reload from last Autosave after that Sept. 1914 crash led to a CTD in the Nov-Dec turn:

Faulting application ww1.exe, version 1.0.5.9, faulting module ww1.exe, version 1.0.5.9, fault address 0x0057175c.

It's probably possible to keep reloading from autosaves and staggering forward a turn or two until the next crash/hang, but thats a bit of a ridiculous way to have to play a game.
06 Maestro

Post by 06 Maestro »

Go to "configure game" in the WW1 menu accessed from your start menu. Make sure that ai logs is unchecked-it is very important with many systems. From the number of CTD's you are having, I suspect that is the culprit. The AI logs add nothing to game play-disable it.

Using the square military icons may help also. (accessed from the game options menu).
Hopefully that helps.
Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies.

Thomas Jefferson

MorningDew

Post by MorningDew »

ORIGINAL: jagdwolf

Reload from last Autosave after that Sept. 1914 crash led to a CTD in the Nov-Dec turn:

Faulting application ww1.exe, version 1.0.5.9, faulting module ww1.exe, version 1.0.5.9, fault address 0x0057175c.

It's probably possible to keep reloading from autosaves and staggering forward a turn or two until the next crash/hang, but thats a bit of a ridiculous way to have to play a game.

Agree. That is no way to play a game. Have you got your save game to the developers?
jagdwolf

Post by jagdwolf »

Ahh - found it, sadly AI LOGs was already unchecked; I'm using NATO counters as well (I've always found them quicker and more informative than soldier-sprites)

I'm not sure sending a save game would accomplish much, it doesn't seem to be a persistant fault - I.E. I can reload the same save after a crash repeatedly and it will crash again at completely different points. So it's not like there is some data error in the save game causing it, just something new that hiccups each time.

PS Tried a complete removal and reinstall/repatch just to see if something was corrupted or something, doesn't seem to have made a difference.

PPS No it doesn't hurt to try,but I have no idea where to send said saved game...sorry but I'm not really interested in registering for yet another forum and slogging through AGEod stuff to figure out who to send something to.

MorningDew

Post by MorningDew »

I'm not sure sending a save game would accomplish much, it doesn't seem to be a persistant fault - I.E. I can reload the same save after a crash repeatedly and it will crash again at completely different points. So it's not like there is some data error in the save game causing it, just something new that hiccups each time.

Doesn't hurt to try.
MartNick

Post by MartNick »

Sending your savegame files to Calvinus on the Ageod forum is a good way to go, I've seen plenty of bugs/errors fixed this way. He is on the boards virtually the whole time. Plus by sending them in, may help others if the fix is then included in the next patch. You have nothing to lose anyway.
dunnsa

Post by dunnsa »

Ahh - found it, sadly AI LOGs was already unchecked; I'm using NATO counters as well (I've always found them quicker and more informative than soldier-sprites)

PS Tried a complete removal and reinstall/repatch just to see if something was corrupted or something, doesn't seem to have made a difference.

PPS No it doesn't hurt to try,but I have no idea where to send said saved game...sorry but I'm not really interested in registering for yet another forum and slogging through AGEod stuff to figure out who to send something to.

You can send an email describing your issues with attached save games to support@ageod.com
No forum registration is required for that. [:)]
AGEOD Volunteer
Visit the AGE Wiki at http://www.ageod.net/agewiki/Main_Page
jagdwolf

Post by jagdwolf »

Will do - currently trying again with all sound disabled (the switch in the game configurator set up program - which is odd since I had all sound turned off in the game already, but whatever), so far that seems like it might be the "fix"....not going to say til I get a solid half dozen turns in though.

Edit: So much for that, made it a couple of turns further in, to Jun 1915 then CTD again while trying to set an Italian grand offensive.
Sending savegame.
Doc o War

Post by Doc o War »

Jagdwolf- just put this game away until they fix it right and play Guns of August- the new 1.3 patch is good and its a fun gaming experience- which this one isnt anymore..
Tell me the story of the common foot soldier, and I will tell you the story of all wars.
... Heroditus.
Hanal

Post by Hanal »

ORIGINAL: Doc o War

Jagdwolf- just put this game away until they fix it right and play Guns of August- the new 1.3 patch is good and its a fun gaming experience- which this one isnt anymore..

So you implying that there was a moment when World War One was actually "fun" for you?...[:D]...[;)]

Personally, I have been very patient with this game but I have shelved it for awhile...I will admit that my experience with this game has changed my buying habits...I now wait a good three months or more before I will even consider buying a new release and so have delayed buying Jagged Edge, Supremacy at Sea, and a few others. I no longer care about "release dates" since my personal date will always be months later...I guess I should thank AGEOD for that much....
MorningDew

Post by MorningDew »

Just a quick FYI that a short beta of 1.06 has been released. Hopefully that will fix your issues, but if not, you can report and provide a save to the developers.

http://www.ageod.com/forums/showthread.php?p=130952&posted=1#post130952
jagdwolf

Post by jagdwolf »

Thanks for all the help and advice here, especially to the AGEod team who are really trying hard. I am sure you will fix all the issues eventually. Unfortunately, I am not really interested in slogging along for weeks or months more with this many problems.

My thanks to the Matrix team for being very understanding about these problems, definately a class act.

I will definately be watching WW1 forums and such and may try it out again once all the gremlins are chased out.

Return to “Tech Support”