The 1940 Brooklyn Dodgers (85-69, 2nd place)

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers.

Moderator: puresimmer

KG Erwin

The 1940 Brooklyn Dodgers (85-69, 2nd place)

Post by KG Erwin »

A new decade begins, and the Dodgers look to improve themselves through the amateur draft and through trades.

We have a few excellent players ( Lou Camilli, Dixie Walker, Hugh Casey). My task is to provide a supporting cast, and start building a winner. Many of our veterans have already peaked, so I'm looking to add high-potential youngsters.

Here's who I picked in the amateur draft:

1. SS Pee Wee Reese
2. 3B Pete Reiser
3. P Harry Brecheen
4. P Sid Hudson
5. SS Marty Marion

Trade news: we sent SS prospect Marty Marion to the Senators in exchange for veteran 2B Buddy Myer. Myer will compete with Pete Coscarart for the 2B slot.

We made a second deal with the Senators, sending P Tot Pressnell in exchange for 1B Mickey Vernon. Vernon gives us a backup for Camilli.

Our third trade was with the Cardinals -- we sent P Freddie Fitzsimmons to the Redbirds in exchange for C Mickey Owen. 24-year-old Owen was sent to AAA for further seasoning.

Now, our lineup looks pretty solid.

1 lf Ernie Koy
2 rf Gene Moore
3 1b Dolph Camilli
4 cf Dixie Walker
5 3b Pete Reiser
6 c Babe Phelps
7 ss Pee Wee Reese
8 2b Buddy Myer

Our rotation:

Hugh Casey
Harry Brecheen
Luke Hamlin
Whit Wyatt

In other news, the Boston NL club will once again be known as "the Braves". They adopt a uniform change, as do the Pirates and the Cardinals.

In the pre-season power rankings, our stock has risen considerably. We rank 3rd, behind the Cardinals and the Yankees.

Roster news: we signed P Al Javery, and released SS Leo Durocher.
KG Erwin

RE: The 1940 Brooklyn Dodgers

Post by KG Erwin »

Boston, Tuesday Apr 16. We open the season facing the Braves. Hugh Casey vs Dick Errickson. A chilly 42 degrees, with an 18 mph wind blowing out to CF. Rookie Pete Reiser's first at bat results in a 3-run homer! Phelps hits two HRs. The Dodgers rout the Braves 21-4. WP, CG: Casey LP: Errickson
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wednesday Apr 17. Harry Brecheen vs Jim Turner. 65 degrees, with a 16 mph wind blowing out to LF. The Braves win 3-1. WP: Sullivan LP: Brecheen SV: Shoffner

We have Thursday off.

Minor league news: we signed pitchers Nick Strincevich, Mickey Harris and Dixie Howell. We released pitchers Emil Bildilli, Loy Hanning and Red Evans.

(A game observation: of the 16 pitchers who have POT ratings over 70, the Dodgers now have six of them.)
KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

Brooklyn, Friday Apr 19. For our home opener we host our crosstown rivals, the Giants. Luke Hamlin vs Carl Hubbell. 47 degrees, with the wind blowing out to RF @ 14 mph. Pete Reiser hits a 2-run homer, giving us a 4-3 lead which we don't relinquish. WP: Hamlin LP: Hubbell SV: Tamulis

Minor league news: we signed 21-year-old P Orval Grove and released C Ray Hayworth. Our farm system is now stocked with a wealth of promising pitching prospects. We have gained some leverage for future trade offers.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Saturday Apr 20. Casey (1-0, 4.00) vs Melton (1-0, 1.00). 64 degrees, with an 8 mph breeze out to LF. The Dodgers pick up another 4-3 win. WP: Casey LP: Melton SV: Hutchinson
Sunday Apr 21. Brecheen (0-1, 3.86) vs Lohrman (0-0, 4.50). 39 degrees, with a 16 mph wind blowing in from RF. The Dodgers do it again! We come back from a 3-0 deficit to win 4-3 in the 10th. Pete Reiser knocks in the GWRBI, and we sweep the archrival Giants. WP: Sid Hudson LP: Jumbo Brown
KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

Brooklyn, Monday Apr 22. The Braves visit for three days. Whit Wyatt (NR) vs Posedel (0-1, 2.08). 58 degrees, with the wind blowing in from CF @12 mph. In the 2nd, Cooney flew out to Gene Moore. Moore caught Cuccinello leading off 1st base just a bit too far, rifled a shot to Camilli, and doubled off Cuccinello! Great defensive play.

In the bottom of the 9th, with the score tied at 1, Dolph Camilli becomes the hero, hitting a walkoff HR. The Dodgers win 2-1. WP: Hudson LP: Macfayden
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tuesday Apr 23. Hamlin (1-0, 3.38) vs Fette (NR). 52 degrees, with the wind blowing in from RF @17 mph. The Braves win 3-1. WP, CG: Fette LP: Hamlin
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wednesday Apr 24. Casey (2-0, 3.71) vs Errickson (0-1, 14.40). 35 degrees, with a 17 mph wind blowing out to CF. The Braves win 8-7. WP, CG: Errickson LP: Casey
KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

Philadelphia, Thursday Apr 25. Brecheen (0-1, 4.50) vs Higbe (1-0, 1.69). 66 degrees, with the wind blowing in from LF @16 mph. Brecheen pitches a 5-0 shutout. Higbe loses.
Friday Apr 26. Wyatt (0-0, 1.80) vs Butcher (0-0, 6.55). 32 degrees. The Phillies win 7-3. WP, CG: Butcher LP: Wyatt

After the game, I did some soul-searching, and picked up the phone. I contacted the Red Sox' GM, and we made a momentous trade. P Harry Brecheen goes to Boston, and we receive 22-year-old LF Ted Williams.

Now that I broke my house rule, I made another deal. We send LF Ernie Koy to Detroit in exchange for CF Stan Spence. Spence is sent down to AAA, and we call up P Nick Strincevich.

Sid Hudson replaces Brecheen in the starting rotation.

KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

New York, Saturday Apr 27. Ted Williams makes his NL debut at the Polo Grounds. Hamlin (1-1, 3.21) vs Hubbell (0-1, 3.86). 44 degrees, with a mild swirling wind.

In Williams' first AB, he hits an RBI double.

The Giants win 5-4. WP: Hubbell LP: Hamlin SV: Lynn
Sunday Apr 28. Casey (2-1, 6.14) vs Melton (2-1, 2.25). 64 degrees, with a 19mph wind blowing in from CF. The Dodgers win 5-3. WP: Casey LP: Melton SV: Crouch

We have Monday off.
DonBraswell

Post by DonBraswell »

KG,
Don't feel bad. Boston will love having Brecheen in their starting rotation. I seem to remember that Boston was for the most part pitching poor.
Don
Don Braswell

PureSim Old Timer
KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

Cincinnati, Tuesday Apr 30. Wyatt (0-1, 4.50) vs Thompson (1-2, 2.45). 34 degrees, with the wind blowing out to CF @ 20mph. The Reds win 2-1. WP, CG: Thompson LP: Wyatt
The standings:

Attachments
UO0001.jpg
UO0001.jpg (91.21 KiB) Viewed 240 times
KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

Cincinnati, Wednesday May 1. Hudson (2-0, 0.0) vs Whitey Moore (2-0, 2.63). 47 degrees, with the wind blowing out to CF @18mph. The Dodgers win 3-2. WP, CG: Hudson LP: Elmer Riddle

Team notes: so far, rookies Pee Wee Reese (.357/0/8) and Pete Reiser (.320/3/12) have been sensational. By contrast, newly-acquired Ted Williams (.288/0/2) seems to be having difficulties in adapting to NL pitching. I often see him grilling the veterans, looking for tips on the pitchers he now has to face.
Thursday May 2. Hamlin (1-2, 4.50) vs Walters (2-2, 1.20). 65 degrees. The Dodgers win 5-2. WP, CG: Hamlin LP: Walters

By percentage points, Brooklyn now holds first place. The Dodgers are 9-6 (.600). The Reds are 10-7 (.588).
KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

Pittsburgh, Friday May 3. Casey (3-1, 5.28) vs Sewell (3-1, 1.64). 64 degrees at Forbes Field, with a 10 mph wind blowing in from RF. Brooklyn wins 6-3. WP, CG: Casey LP: Sewell
Saturday May 4. Wyatt (0-2, 3.94) vs Bowman (3-1, 3.09). 51 degrees, with a 20 mph wind blowing in from CF. Whit Wyatt suffers a minor injury. Nick Strincevich relieves. The Pirates win 7-2. WP: Bowman LP: Strincevich

Injury report: Wyatt goes on the 15-day DL. We call up P Al Javery. Tamulis replaces Wyatt in the rotation.
KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

St Louis, Sunday May 5. Hudson (3-0, 1.50) vs Fitzsimmons (2-2, 3.26). 64 degrees, with a a mild breeze in from LF. The Cardinals win 4-3. WP: Fitzsimmons LP: Hutchinson SV: Raffensberger

Minor league news: we signed P Porter Vaughan and released P Van Mungo.
Monday May 6. Hamlin (2-2, 3.72) vs Davis (2-2, 3.15). 66 degrees, with a swirling 4 mph breeze. The Dodgers win 3-1. WP: Hamlin LP: Davis SV: Frank Lamanna
Tuesday May 7. Casey (4-1, 4.50) vs Cooper (1-2, 3.94). 70 degrees, with a 16 mph wind blowing in from CF. The Cardinals win 2-1 in 11 innings. WP: Bowman LP: Crouch
KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

Chicago, Wednesday May 8. Tamulis (NR) vs French (3-0, 0.95). 58 degrees, with a 19 mph wind blowing in from RF. Chicago is no doubt the Windy City. The Cubs take a 1-0 lead to the top of the 9th. Ted Williams then hits a 3-run homer. The Dodgers win 3-1. WP: Tamulis LP: French SV: Hutchinson

Minor league news: we signed 1B Art Mahan, and placed him in AA. OF Lindsay Deal was released.
Thursday May 9. Hudson (3-0, 2.65) vs Gorsica (2-2, 3.96). 49 degrees, with a 12 mph wind blowing out to LF. Reese hits a grand slam in the 4th! The Dodgers go on to win 7-3. Rookie Sid Hudson improves to 4-0 with the CG victory. Gorsica loses.

We have Friday off. On this day, it is reported that the Germans have invaded Holland, Belgium and Luxembourg.
KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

Brooklyn, Saturday May 11. We begin a 13 day homestand as we host the Phillies. Hamlin (3-2, 3.16) vs Mulcahy (1-3, 3.98). 69 degrees, with a 16 mph wind blowing out to CF. Reese hits 2 HRs as the Dodgers win 9-6. WP: Hamlin LP: Mulcahy SV: Hutchinson
Sunday May 12. Casey (4-1, 4.00) vs Higbe (2-2, 2.60). 75 degrees, with a 14 mph wind blowing out to RF. The Dodgers win it 10-8. WP: Casey LP: Higbe SV: Crouch

At 15-9, Brooklyn is in first place, with a half-game lead over the Cardinals and Pirates.
Monday, May 13. Tamulis (1-0, 0.41) vs Butcher (3-1, 3.20). 64 degrees, with the wind blowing out to LF @10 mph. Cookie Lavagetto hits a 3-run pinch-hit homer in the 8th to give Brooklyn a 4-3 lead, and that's the margin of victory. WP: Al Javery LP: Butcher SV: Hutchinson

We now lead the Reds & the Pirates by one game, and the stage is set for a showdown with our next visitors: the Reds.
KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

Brooklyn, Tuesday May 14. Ebbets Field is filled to the rafters as the Cincinnati Reds visit for the first of a three game series. Sid Hudson (4-0, 2.77) vs Whitey Moore (3-1, 1.91). The Reds have been beset with several injuries, including pitcher Junior Thompson, CF Harry Craft and C Willard Hershberger. It's 64 degrees.

The Dodgers win 3-2. WP, CG: Hudson LP: Moore
Wednesday May 15. Hamlin (4-2, 3.07) vs Riddle (2-1, 2.28). 64 degrees, with the wind swirling @10 mph. Walker hits a walkoff homer in the bottom of the 9th and the Dodgers win 8-7. WP: Crouch LP: Johnson

We now hold a 3 game lead over Cincinnati and Pittsburgh.

Trade news: overnight, we make a deal with the Reds. To Cincinnati goes 36-year-old veteran P Luke Hamlin. In exchange, we get 26-year-old Johnny VanderMeer. VanderMeer was due to start against us tomorrow. Instead, he will appear in a newly-issued Dodgers uniform.
Thursday May 16. Casey (5-1, 4.59) vs Derringer (4-1, 1.54). 64 degrees, with a 6 mph breeze blowing in from RF. In the 6th, with the bases loaded, Gene Moore triples! 3-1, Dodgers. Brooklyn ends up with a 4-1 victory. WP: Casey LP: Derringer SV: Hutchinson

The Dodgers win their eighth straight, and now hold a 4-game lead.

Trade news: we send P Bill Crouch and C Babe Phelps to the Tigers in exchange for C Rudy York and P prospect Fred Hutchinson. Hutchinson is assigned to AA, and we call up P Orval Grove to fill the bullpen slot until Wyatt returns from the DL. York is a good hitter and has a powerful arm. He will help solidify our defense.
KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

Brooklyn, Friday May 17. The 6th place Cardinals visit. The defending NL champions are slumping, and look to gain some ground against us. VanderMeer (0-2, 1.90) vs Fitzsimmons (3-3, 3.65). It's 57 degrees.

In the 2nd inning, with the score tied at 1, Fitzsimmons suffers an injury. Raffensberger relieves. The Cardinals win 4-2. WP: Raffensberger LP: VanderMeer SV: Bowman

Injury news: the Cardinals put Freddie Fitzsimmons on the 15-day DL.

Trade news: I place a few offers, but now it seems that no one wants to talk to me. I am not surprised, as the hoity-toity New York newspapers are now calling me "a dirty dealer". I could fire back, but I elect not to respond. I'll let my "upstart lower-class Brooklynites, who steal bases so they can steal games" do my talking on the field. The hatred is obviously bred out of fear.
Saturday May 18. Hudson (5-0, 2.57) vs Davis (3-3, 3.05). 74 degrees, with a 16 mph wind blowing out to RF. In the bottom of the 1st, Gene Moore hits a 3-run homer. Gene's bat has suddenly come alive. The Cardinals prove that they are still dangerous as they defeat us 13-9. WP, CG: Davis LP: Hudson

Whit Wyatt comes off the DL. Orval Grove is sent down to AAA.
KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

Brooklyn, Sunday May 19. The Cubs visit. Wyatt (0-2, 3.78) vs Passeau (3-4, 3.39). 63 degrees, with an 8 mph breeze out to CF. The Dodgers win 8-6. WP, CG: Wyatt LP: Passeau
Monday May 20. Casey (6-1, 4.26) vs Lee (0-7, 4.91). 69 degrees, with the wind blowing in from LF @20 mph. Lee pitches a 3-0 CG shutout. Casey loses.
Tuesday May 21. VanderMeer (0-3, 2.27) vs French (3-3, 2.75). 61 degrees, with a 7 mph breeze out to LF. The Cubs humiliate us, winning 15-0. WP, CG: French LP: VanderMeer

Minor league news: we sign 23-year-old P Lefty Hoerst to a AAA contract. P Carl Doyle is released. Also, CF Stan Spence is hitting .402/4/6 for us in AAA.
KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

Brooklyn, Wednesday May 22. The Pirates visit for a short series. Hudson (5-1, 3.92) vs Mace Brown (4-3, 2.95). 65 degrees, with an 18 mph wind blowing in from CF. In the bottom of the 9th Cookie Lavagetto grounds out and brings in the GW RBI. The Dodgers win 4-3. WP: Hutchinson LP: Swift

Brooklyn maintains a 3 game lead over the Cardinals and the Reds.

Trade news: we send P Vito Tamulis to the Red Sox in exchange for 2B Bobby Doerr. 22-year-old Doerr is an excellent addition to our lineup. We call up young Orval Grove to fill the bullpen slot, and send down OF Tuck Stainback. I realize that this may weaken our pitching staff, but I'm willing to take the risk, as our lineup has not been batting as well as I'd like. The fans, and the press, will wonder why I'm carrying three secondbasemen. As the season wears on, I hope my method will explain my apparent madness.

Roster news: to further confound my critics, I'm moving Pete Reiser over to LF for the next game, as Williams needs some rest. Lavagetto will take over at 3B, for the moment.
Thursday May 23. Wyatt (1-2, 4.56) vs Bowman (5-2, 3.68). 61 degrees, with an 8 mph breeze out to RF. The Dodgers win 10-7. WP, CG: Wyatt LP: Bowman
KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

Philadelphia, Friday May 24. Casey (6-2, 4.29) vs Mulcahy (2-5, 4.95). 52 degrees, with a swirling 12 mph wind. The Dodgers win 2-1 in 11 innings. WP: Jeffcoat LP: Ed Head SV: Strincevich
Saturday May 25. VanderMeer (0-4, 3.82) vs Higbe (4-3, 3.22). 54 degrees, with a 13 mph wind blowing out to RF. The Phillies win 7-3. WP: Higbe LP: Hutchinson SV: Head
KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

Philadelphia, Sunday May 26. Hudson (5-1, 3.72) vs Butcher (3-2, 3.39). 60 degrees, with a 19 mph wind blowing in from RF. The Phillies win 6-1. WP, CG: Butcher LP: Hudson
KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

Brooklyn, Monday May 27. We continue our series with the Phillies. Wyatt (2-2, 5.19) vs Pearson (2-4, 4.58). 74 degrees, with a 17 mph swirling wind. Lavagetto hits the GW RBI in the bottom of the 9th. The Dodgers win 10-9. WP: Strincevich LP: Beck
Tuesday May 28. Casey (6-2, 3.93) vs Mulcahy (2-5, 4.50). 70 degrees, with a 9 mph breeze in from RF. Casey pitches a 4-hit shutout as the Dodgers win 2-0. Mulcahy loses.

We have Wednesday off.

In the minors, here's a guy who's standing on the cusp of greatness. By 1942-43 he should be ready to advance to the majors:

Attachments
UO0003.jpg
UO0003.jpg (119.37 KiB) Viewed 242 times

Return to “The Locker”