Matrix Games Forums

To End All Wars: Mountain InfantryPandora: Eclipse of Nashira Announced! Deal of the Week: Command Ops goes half price!New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great War
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Old Newbie Questions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat: Wacht am Rhein >> Old Newbie Questions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Old Newbie Questions - 2/5/2009 10:00:06 PM   
Richard III

Just bought the new version of the game I use to love years ago and my congrats for what seems to be significant improvements to both the Maps and the AI. It looks like it uses combined arms better as well as making far better use of the terrain. All in all a much more interesting wargaming experience.

A few questions on the Campaign Game interface/process ( which was never clear for me ).

Playing as the US can I select which areas to defend in the first or later days or does it just default to a pre-set order ?

Can I somehow select to surrender or retreat off the map to end the battle ? Early battles against the tank heavy Germans are usually over in the first 5 min. after they kill the AT teams/guns and they rarely push to the edge of the map after getting a few victory locations. Even at "Fast" it`s a long period of nothing going on.

Thanks
Post #: 1
RE: Old Newbie Questions - 2/6/2009 3:11:32 AM   
TheReal_Pak40

In the movement phase of the strategic map you can click and drag any of you battlegroups to some or all of the adjacent areas. You might be able to retreat a unit that occupies an area with an enemy unit but only if your unit is as fast or faster than the enemy.

There's no way to surrender or retreat a map. Set your battles to 15 minutes to avoid the boring waits for the enemy to attack. And for the most part you don't want to surrender a map unless you only hold the last 1/4 and there's little or no cover to setup the next time the map is played. The reason is that you want to delay the Germans for as long as possible in the whole campaign. There are only 2 battles per day per map, so if you can make every attacking unit re-fight a map then you've won a small victory as the U.S. side.

(in reply to Richard III)
Post #: 2
RE: Old Newbie Questions - 2/6/2009 8:57:45 PM   
Richard III

Thanks for the details I asked about and the game play advice, much appreciated !

(in reply to TheReal_Pak40)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat: Wacht am Rhein >> Old Newbie Questions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI