1.05 Wishlist DCG's

John Tiller's Campaign Series exemplifies tactical war-gaming at its finest by bringing you the entire collection of TalonSoft's award-winning campaign series. Containing TalonSoft's West Front, East Front, and Rising Sun platoon-level combat series, as well as all of the official add-ons and expansion packs, the Matrix Edition allows players to dictate the events of World War II from the tumultuous beginning to its climatic conclusion. We are working together with original programmer John Tiller to bring you this updated edition.

Moderators: Jason Petho, Peter Fisla, asiaticus, dogovich

Borst50

1.05 Wishlist DCG's

Post by Borst50 »

I have seen threads in this forum dealing with wishlists for new units and new LCG's/senarios. But I feel us diehard DCG fans need a thread for our wishlists. Everyone is invited to contribute.

For myself...I would love to see the following;

Full campaign in Burma covering the entire war. From the first Japanese invasion, thru 1st and 2nd Alacan offensives...to the Kohima and Imphal campaign and the subsequent british reconquest.

A DCG covering the War in China....from 31 to the Japanese surrender.

a DCG covering the "Island Hopping" the US forces did in the Pacific. But this would require the addition of an engagement for amphibious landings to be randomly generated at the appropriate dates. That would be problematic and i am not sure it could be coded into the game....but i have hopes.

An Italian DCG, from Salerno to the German surrender. This would also use amphib landings.

An East African DCG. From the Italian invasion of Ethiopia, to the British conquest.

The Anglo-Soviet invasion of Persia.

The Spanish Civil War.

These are just a few....but I think they would be welcome additions to the JTCS franchise.

junk2drive

RE: 1.05 Wishlist DCG's

Post by junk2drive »

Good ideas. You should try your hand at making a DCG.
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
vipersrt

Post by vipersrt »

I like them!
[:)]
Miamieagle

Post by Miamieagle »

I totaly Agree!
Mraah

Post by Mraah »

I normally have a million things on my wishlist but since we have a good, full year to drop our wishes into the basket I'll just start with one. BTW, Borst50 ideas are great ... except for the ones that can be made as a mod. Perhaps a mod will come up within a year to fill the gap, I dunno.

Anyway ....

1. The possibility of having the campaign.PDT be campaign specific. In other words, instead of a global campaignPDT effecting all the DCG's I'd prefer one for each.

Now, I figure this can be done just like the other files we use for a DCG ... ie, weather.dat ... The name of the campaign is "tagged" onto the front of the file ... so, "My Campaign" becomes "My Campaign-weather.dat".

You see, a new campaignPDT for "My Campaign" would read ... "My Campaign-campaign.dat"

I find it usefull to make small tweaks in the campaignPDT to maximize the playablity of the campaign. Getting stuck with a global PDT is bad because we have to uninstall one campaign (via JSGE, thank goodness for this), and then reinstall another campaign.

Thanks for reading,

Rob
Jay Townsend

Post by Jay Townsend »

How about some Japanese vs Russian scenarios in 1939 & 1945?
Miamieagle

Post by Miamieagle »

Jay Townsend what about several campaigns for a  Japanese vs Russian in 1939 & 1945 to add to the diversity and true representation of WW2!

It will only enhance this series as whole!
Bonjr

Post by Bonjr »

ORIGINAL: Borst50
a DCG covering the "Island Hopping" the US forces did in the Pacific. But this would require the addition of an engagement for amphibious landings to be randomly generated at the appropriate dates. That would be problematic and i am not sure it could be coded into the game....but i have hopes.

This would be the best I could hope for.. Would be nice if I did not have to make them myself anymore :-)
Miamieagle

Post by Miamieagle »

I my opinion the Eastern Front edition is pretty much set. Th Western Front need some upgrading but the Rising Sun edition could use a whole sale of upgrades to really make this series the best one in the Market in my opinion!
vipersrt

Post by vipersrt »

I love the Eastern front edition! Any additions would be welcome.

Borst50

Post by Borst50 »

I am not sure i agree with your opinion that the EF is totally set. hehehehe...but it's getting there. Right now...we have Barbarossa....41-45.....so i think continuing on in the same vein....have each year represented. In 42....start with the Summer offensive to Stalingrad.....to 45....in 43...Start with Kursk...to 45....in 44...start with the Russian offensive to 45....you get the idea.

my idea is that if players do not want to fight the entire war...they can start at different years...and also they can have a choice of using tigers after august 42. As it stands now, unless the player alters the oob's...you cant play with tigers until Budapest to Vienna DCG. ([:D] I did alter my oob's and i do have tigers for Barbarossa!)
AbeSimpson

Post by AbeSimpson »

Muahahaha!! Tigers for Barbarossa sounds very funny. [:D]

I think I understand what military fame is; to be killed on the field of battle and have your name misspelled in the newspapers.
William Tecumseh Sherman
Borst50

Post by Borst50 »

[:D] I didnt mean to imply that I have tigers from June of 41....I altered the OOB's so they will upgrade to tigers in aug 42.
Miamieagle

Post by Miamieagle »

I"am not asking for the stopage of improvemnt for the Eastern Front edition. All I"am saying is that the Rising Sun Edition is below par and it should be given more attention. This will only make this series better in the long run.

I play with all three edition!

I just like to see this series get better and better!
Borst50

Post by Borst50 »

from what I gather, plans are in the works to upgrade Rising Sun. I only hear rumors, so what is planned I cant say for sure.
shawnt63

Post by shawnt63 »

How about a British Infantry battalion from France 40 through to 45, or RTR 40 to 45?
Would be nice if we could jump from one Campaign area to another ie take the Gross Deutchland through Western Europe, transfer East then back West or and Australian from Desert to Jungle!
Cheers,
Shawn
Borst50

Post by Borst50 »

I asked that same question a year or so ago....but unfortunately.....east front...west fron...are two seperate games and would require matrix to completely recode the entire game engine.
shawnt63

Post by shawnt63 »

Darn, because that would be so cool! :(
Cheers,
Shawn
shadowX

Post by shadowX »

i would like to see larger amount of upgrades and do away with all these small one comp upgrades. so less number of upgrades but larger units per upgrade. ive had 2 campaigns crash on me with it tried to give me upgrades so upgrades less often would maybe get me through a whole campaign. also besides my own leader id like to see gen in charge of divisions and col. in charge of rtgs like the bn have majors and comp capts. tank comp leader should be in tanks not cars at least at the capt level. general promotions and org upgrades should come sooner. ive gotten over 340k xp in a campaign into oct of 43 and was still only a major gen. with a division. it would be nice to get a corp with promotion higher then mg. there were a few more ideas i had but cant think of them atm.
Borst50

Post by Borst50 »

you can alter the OOB's yourself to have the entire battalion upgrade at the same time and add the appropiate leaders for the various formations. you can edit the data files to change promotion levels and org promotions. however, you cannot add additional ranks to the game engine. the are 6 slots...period....but you can change the names.....for example....my table of ranks will be capt.....major....lt. colonel....colonel....maj gen....and finally lt. gen. I am not sure leader units can be intergrated into tank units without recoding the game engine....and i do not want to see that anyway. I like it just the way it is.

Return to “John Tiller's Campaign Series”