Matrix Games Forums

Buzz Aldrins Space Program Manager is now available!Space Program Manager gets mini-site and Twitch SessionBuzz Aldrin: Ask Me Anything (AMA) on redditDeal of the week Fantasy Kommander: Eukarion WarsSpace Program Manager Launch Contest Announced!Battle Academy 2 is out now on iPad!A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Extended level bombers off small airfield: design intent?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Extended level bombers off small airfield: design intent? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Extended level bombers off small airfield: design intent? - 1/26/2009 5:40:48 AM   
rader

Hi all,

My PBEM partner and I are playing a CHS 160 game and we're having a minor disagreement and are looking for advice. Specifically I'm looking for people who are "in the know" - designers/developers/playtesters of the original WiTP and AE.

I know the manual is wrong in some (many?) places, but this took me completely by surprise after a long time of playing several games. I was specifically counting hexes and airbase sizes to determine where the 4E bombers could reach. I thought that 4E bombers (load = 6800) could not fly extended range off level 4 airbases and would fly as if extended up to their normal range. This is specifically what the manual says (yes, it is often wrong) and I think it may be the intent of the designers, but is sort of a "bug", or something that had been overlooked. I look at many of the innacuracies in the manual as changes. So I was basing a large degree of my strategy around this (staying 11+ hexes away from as many SPS 1 airfields as possible). My opponent knew that the 4Es would still fly at extended range.

We have house ruled 4Es to a large extent: no naval attack under 15,000 ft etc. If I had known that level bombers could fly off a small airfield to their extended range, I probably would have suggested a house rule against this (and at a minimum played differently). Of course, my opponent would have played differently if we had restricted level bombers in this way.

So my question really comes down to intent. What do the designers/developers/playtesters intend? Are level bombers supposed to be able to fly to their extended range from a small airfield? How is this handled in AE? Is this basically an error/bug that has never been corrected for whatever reason, or is it intentional that the bombers should be able to fly at full range and just wrong in the manual? Was it changed in a patch or update one way or the other?

Thanks!

Rader
Post #: 1
RE: Extended level bombers off small airfield: design i... - 1/26/2009 6:21:06 AM   
Japan

I imagine that  the problem with flying at long range from a small airfield would be the Gross Weight of the Aircraft on Departure.
If filled with Fuel and also having bombs the Gross Weight may be so large that a longer runway is required for the departure.

In the game im playing in, we have a House rule saying max 11 hexes range from level 5 Airfields and no limits from level 6 and above.

It works pritty good for us I think.

AAR VIDEO
THE FIRST YEAR + THE SECOND YEAR
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2133035&mpage=1&key=&

(in reply to rader)
Post #: 2
RE: Extended level bombers off small airfield: design i... - 1/26/2009 7:33:39 AM   
Howard Mitchell

I think this has always been there. Japan's post gives the rationale for it very well.

While the battles the British fight may differ in the widest possible ways, they invariably have two common characteristics – they are always fought uphill and always at the junction of two or more map sheets.

General Sir William Slim

(in reply to Japan)
Post #: 3
RE: Extended level bombers off small airfield: design i... - 1/26/2009 7:40:53 AM   
rader

No, my point is that it *is not there*. I agree that it *should* be there, but apparently it is not. Try it yourself - apparently level bombers WILL fly at extended range off a small airbase. My question is whether this is intentional (and just wrong in the manual), or a programming error/bug?

(in reply to Howard Mitchell)
Post #: 4
RE: Extended level bombers off small airfield: design i... - 1/26/2009 12:19:40 PM   
Yamato hugger

quote:

ORIGINAL: rader

No, my point is that it *is not there*. I agree that it *should* be there, but apparently it is not. Try it yourself - apparently level bombers WILL fly at extended range off a small airbase. My question is whether this is intentional (and just wrong in the manual), or a programming error/bug?

Intentional. Cant for the life of me figure out why, but it is.

(in reply to rader)
Post #: 5
RE: Extended level bombers off small airfield: design i... - 1/26/2009 2:28:51 PM   
rader

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yamato hugger

quote:

So it is staying in AE? Is this the way you play it? Do many people house rule it or just leave it? Do you know if there is a double penalty for ops losses, etc? (extended and small runway)?

< Message edited by rader -- 1/26/2009 2:29:50 PM >

(in reply to Yamato hugger)
Post #: 6
RE: Extended level bombers off small airfield: design i... - 1/26/2009 4:14:42 PM   
USS America

What bomb load to they carry at extended range from a lvl 4 AF?  I would guess the bomb load should be cut in half for extended range, and cut in half again (1/4) for the small AF.  Not saying that's how it works in the game, just that I think it "should" work that way. 

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to rader)
Post #: 7
RE: Extended level bombers off small airfield: design i... - 1/26/2009 4:22:56 PM   
rader

Well, if they got a quarter bombload, plus they get triple ops losses (for small airfield AND extended range), I wouldn't really have a problem with it. Does anyone know if this is how it works?

(in reply to USS America)
Post #: 8
RE: Extended level bombers off small airfield: design i... - 1/26/2009 4:22:56 PM   
tanksone

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yamato hugger

quote:

So it is staying in AE? Is this the way you play it? Do many people house rule it or just leave it? Do you know if there is a double penalty for ops losses, etc? (extended and small runway)?

Hi, don't the op loses start to go up from smaller bases also....

(in reply to rader)
Post #: 9
RE: Extended level bombers off small airfield: design i... - 1/26/2009 5:13:31 PM   
dhuffjr2

Small island airfields were used to stage bombers for attacks on Tarawa for one. I can't remember the island in question off the top of my head.

How does this impact the conversation?

(in reply to tanksone)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Extended level bombers off small airfield: design intent? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI