Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Met a WWII USMC Vet Yesterday

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Met a WWII USMC Vet Yesterday Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Met a WWII USMC Vet Yesterday - 1/25/2009 7:29:44 PM   
witpqs

I met a WWII USMC vet yesterday. He convinced his father to let him enlist when he was 16 "I told him I was afraid I'd miss the whole war if I waited" (his father was too young for WWI and too old for WWII). He was out when Korea started, so he re-enlisted for that and was at Chosin Reservoir, then in Vietnam. Shot up badly there and got put out 100% disabled. In 1966 went into law enforcement. Rose to chief of detectives of a county and did that for a long time, then was a police chief in a town until the early 90's. Since then he's been teaching shooting. He was one of the instructors at a CCW course yesterday. In his 80's, still teaching with deadly weapons, driving his own car - I dream of still going as strong 35+ years from now.

Post #: 1
RE: Met a WWII USMC Vet Yesterday - 1/26/2009 1:40:40 PM   
rockmedic109

One of the perks in my job is meeting interesting people {and some that are uninteresting but very funny due to their extreme lack of brainpower}.  I transported a WWII vet once.  I started asking about where he served and he was surprised that I knew about Munda and Bougainville.  I told him all about the game Uncommon Valor.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 2
RE: Met a WWII USMC Vet Yesterday - 1/26/2009 5:36:15 PM   
Hard Sarge

not the same story as yours Rock, but close

the guy I work with is from Burma, but when asked where he is from, he says China, when I asked him why, he says nobody know where Burma is, everybody knows where China is, I told him, come on and then started listing places in Burma, shocked him when I told him his hometown and a number of areas around where he grew up (they were all battlefields, or routes to the battles that I knew from reading/playing games)

it gets funny when we get into disagreements about Burmese History :)

(in reply to rockmedic109)
Post #: 3
RE: Met a WWII USMC Vet Yesterday - 1/26/2009 6:40:08 PM   
rockmedic109

I dated a girl from Port Moresby.  She was stuned that I knew where it was.

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 4
RE: Met a WWII USMC Vet Yesterday - 1/26/2009 7:18:16 PM   
Nemo121

Dating a girl from Malaysia...
A) She was surprised that I knew her home town etc.
B) Got into trouble for admitting I knew of it cause it allowed me to get to Singapore more quickly with the Imperial Guards Division.
C) I don't think I've ever truly convinced her that "MY" Empire would rule benignly and justly.

Post #: 5
RE: Met a WWII USMC Vet Yesterday - 1/26/2009 9:16:55 PM   
morganbj

They have girls in Port Moresby?

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 6
RE: Met a WWII USMC Vet Yesterday - 1/26/2009 10:01:04 PM   
rockmedic109

Not anymore.  The pretty ones left for the U.S.

(in reply to morganbj)
Post #: 7
RE: Met a WWII USMC Vet Yesterday - 1/27/2009 12:57:07 AM   
sventhebold

Since I am retired/disabled I frequently walk my dog to stay active. One of the old farts in the neighborhood.
You know the one who sits in the open garage all day watching the cars go by. I started talking to him when we
moved here. He was recon for the 25th Div(Pineapple Div he always says). We always strike up a conversation
about this or that, But ask him a question about his days in the war and he lights up like a lightbulb. He has told
me his stories about facing off with Jap patrols, setting booby traps, setting ambushes. They once even captured
a Jap tank! Problem was it had run out of gas and they were trying to start it when the owners can back carrying
5 gallon cans to restart it so they had to run away. He mentions being on top of a hill once and a pair of Zeros
buzzed by they waved at them and the Japs waggled their wings and kept going. One time he was driving a halftrack up a hill to do a recon and he turned his head and saw the rest of the squad was gone! Well he didnt
hear over the noise of the halftrack a Jap 37mm was shooting at him but missing long. When he stopped then he
heard the gun. He simply pushed in the clutch and rolled back down the hill the way he came. He has a couple katanas, flags and guns. I have seen the guns and flags but the swords are "In a safe" He was a BAR man by trading in the thompson machine gun he had kept jamming. He said it was heavy but when it spoke everybody
listened! We treasure these vets. PERIOD.

ssgt usaf 84-91 f-15a/c ops puke 525 tfs & 7th tfs

Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Met a WWII USMC Vet Yesterday Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI