Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

insurrection corps broken in 1.05

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Empire in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> Tech Support >> insurrection corps broken in 1.05 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
insurrection corps broken in 1.05 - 1/25/2009 6:41:59 PM   
ndrose

Playing as Russia against AI, I invaded Austria and triggered an insurrection corps. But all that happened was that my first corps had to stop movement--all others could move through, and no actual insurrection corps popped up, and no battle.

Mantis 447.
Post #: 1
RE: insurrection corps broken in 1.05 - 1/25/2009 7:15:05 PM   
DCWhitworth

I have replicated this with two non-AI nations.

Regards
David

(in reply to ndrose)
Post #: 2
RE: insurrection corps broken in 1.05 - 1/25/2009 9:13:54 PM   
Mardonius

That is all that should happen, I believe. The Austrian receives the two corps as reinforcements during his next reinforcement move. This change makes these two corps an asset, rather than a liability, for the Austrian.

(in reply to DCWhitworth)
Post #: 3
RE: insurrection corps broken in 1.05 - 1/25/2009 9:35:11 PM   
ndrose

I'm sure this is a result of the work to improve the insurrection corps, but it doesn't seem to be working right.

On my land phase, it stopped my first corps but let the others through. Then nothing--even on Austrian reinforcement nothing showed up.

I haven't tried this yet playing as Austria. Possibly the mechanics are OK, but the AI just hasn't figured out yet how to use it effectively. Though I would question whether the mechanics can be OK if it lets subsequent corps through. (It should be able to let some corps through, THEN stop, but I understood Marshall to say that would be tricky. I don't think it should be able to stop one, then let the others through. Or perhaps it is--even worse--not able to stop the others.) Also, should it be able to stop movement at all if it's not going to call up the corps?

(in reply to Mardonius)
Post #: 4
RE: insurrection corps broken in 1.05 - 1/25/2009 10:20:31 PM   
DCWhitworth

From the online rules - "The Austrian player will now have the ability to set an area as an “Insurrection Trigger” area. This is done by selecting the “Insurrection Toggle” button in the lower left phase button panel. This will enable an area as a trigger or disable (If already enabled) the area. The Austrian player may set up to 3 areas as Insurrection trigger areas. These areas will immediately halt any enemy movement when the units enter the area. At this time then ALL Insurrection units will become available for placement during the next reinforcement phase. Any area in Austria’s home nation can be set as a trigger area as long as the Insurrections corps are not placed or ready to be placed. All insurrection areas will be shaded in white and will only be visible to the Austrian player!"

Tried it with a non-AI Austria and yes the two insurrection corps are available to place in the next reinforcement phase, but not in the triggering area, only where you could normally place reinforcements.

Regards
David

(in reply to ndrose)
Post #: 5
RE: insurrection corps broken in 1.05 - 1/25/2009 10:27:19 PM   
ndrose

So it sounds as if there are two separate issues: letting through the subsequent corps, and the non-placement of the insurrection corps. But since you were able to do the latter as human Austria, it's just an AI problem. (Unless the AI simply chose in this situation not to place them--is that allowed if you've stopped movement with the insurrection toggle?) That leaves the letting through of subsequent corps. Are you seeing this also?

Post #: 6
RE: insurrection corps broken in 1.05 - 1/26/2009 1:56:28 AM   
Mardonius

Dave:

Where (and when) is the Austrian Insurrection Button found?

Thanks
Varick

Post #: 7
RE: insurrection corps broken in 1.05 - 1/26/2009 9:42:31 AM   
DCWhitworth

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mardonius

Dave:

Where (and when) is the Austrian Insurrection Button found?

Thanks
Varick

It's on the second page of buttons in the diplomacy phase. i.e. you have to click the arrow at the end to reach it.

Regards
David

(in reply to Mardonius)
Post #: 8
RE: insurrection corps broken in 1.05 - 1/26/2009 5:34:21 PM   
RJCowan

I am in a PBEM game as Austria.  The game was started in 1.04.07 and migrated to 1.05, then 1.05.03.  (The game is being used to train our recent converts, so we're being very forgiving of the peculiarities we've seen, and just carrying on.)

My Insurrection Area button tells me, regardless of which area I have highlighted, that there are already the maximum three areas chosen.  Nothing toggles off.  I have found no way to determine which areas are toggled on for Insurrection (is there supposed to be an indicator?).

Has anyone else seen this, or is this just one of the oddities due to upgrading to 1.05.03? 

Post #: 9
RE: insurrection corps broken in 1.05 - 1/28/2009 4:54:45 AM   
Mardonius

quote:

ORIGINAL: DCWhitworth

Tried it with a non-AI Austria and yes the two insurrection corps are available to place in the next reinforcement phase, but not in the triggering area, only where you could normally place reinforcements.

I tried the stop areas and they show up as white, per the description. However, in a test I ran with a non-AI Turkey versus a non AI Austria, no invading unit stops and nothing showed up in the next Austrian reinforcement phase.
Looks to be a bug, unless I misunderstand something.

best
Mardonius

Post #: 10
RE: insurrection corps broken in 1.05 - 1/28/2009 5:31:07 AM   
ndrose

I tried a game with non-AI Russia and non-AI Austria. I got the same results with respect to movement as I got in the earlier (vs. AI) game: the first corps to enter the trigger area had to stop movement, but subsequent corps could move through and past the trigger area.

I was able to place the insurrection corps, but they're not listed as reinforcements--just available if you bring up the units screen. And you can't place them just anywhere; as David noted above, they're subject to the normal reinforcement rules: you can bring them up in a nearby city, but not in an empty rural area.

The rules about where they're brought up are not a bug, I guess--just a deviation. They actually give the Austrian a fair bit of flexibility.

But they don't seem to be stopping movement as they ought to. Unless there's some "stop X number of corps" setting that I overlooked, and which defaults to 1.

(in reply to Mardonius)
Post #: 11
RE: insurrection corps broken in 1.05 - 1/28/2009 6:29:09 PM   
ndrose

Marshall, you have this listed on Mantis as resolved--normal behavior. I understand that placing the insurrection corps in the reinforcement phase is the way you've implemented it. (The AI doesn't seem to be actually placing them, but I guess that's another issue.)

However, the insurrection trigger area does not seem to be stopping movement as it should. Is that not a bug? When I try it, it only stops a single corps. And from what Mardonius wrote above, I gather there may also be cases in which it isn't stopping any.

(in reply to ndrose)
Post #: 12
RE: insurrection corps broken in 1.05 - 1/28/2009 8:36:19 PM   
Marshall Ellis

That is still normal. This was not meant to stop all forces since the actual insurrection trigger in the board game is an option after each corps is moved each area. I have allowed the setting of 3 stopping areas which gives a good border perimeter of protection and allowance for placement. Does this make sense? It is certainly an approximation but I think it is better than our earlier default which would lead to the slaughter of the insurrection units.

I will look at the AI placement...

Thank you

Marshall Ellis
Outflank Strategy War Games

(in reply to ndrose)
Post #: 13
RE: insurrection corps broken in 1.05 - 1/28/2009 9:01:07 PM   
ndrose

So the trigger area is supposed to stop the movement of the first corps over the line, but then let the rest through? OK, but I'm not sure I understand why. In the boardgame, there was some point to stopping only the *last* corps or two, because you could fight them right away on their own. But if you're putting down the corps in reinforcement, you can't do that.

You could if Austria were moving first in the land phase, but most likely invaders will be able to restack before Austria moves. Russia and Turkey move earlier, and France can.

However, if this is the way you meant it to operate, and it's not buggy, I guess the question of whether it could be improved is not top priority.

(in reply to Marshall Ellis)
Post #: 14
RE: insurrection corps broken in 1.05 - 1/29/2009 12:14:32 AM   
Marshall Ellis

The trigger area will stop the first corps coming in BUT you can set the trigger areas to wherever you want in Austria so you could set them to allow an invader to come into the nation or at the borders. Is this not an improvement of the old 50/50 method of an insurrection corps being dropped (by itself) on a spot with enemy corps? I thought it was an improvement but tell me if you do not think so...

Thank you

Marshall Ellis

(in reply to ndrose)
Post #: 15
RE: insurrection corps broken in 1.05 - 1/29/2009 12:57:39 AM   
NeverMan

It's a BIG improvement, but it still takes away A LOT of power from the original EiA insurrection corps. Being able to cut supply and forces off from each other was always a big deal, not to mention slower Turkish forces into Austra particularly when Au is at war with France.

Post #: 16
RE: insurrection corps broken in 1.05 - 1/29/2009 1:16:35 AM   
ndrose

It's definitely an improvement. And I can see how in a pbem system it's extremely tricky to try to duplicate things like this that were done by a real-time decision. I think there might be ways in which the insurrection corps could be given back some of the capability to cut off the enemy. But that can be worked on incrementally in later patches. For now, as long as it's not behaving in unexpected and unpredictable ways, I'm satisfied.

On reflection, it does do at least some of what it should. If the invading army wants to restack, it has to slow down for the stopped corps to catch up. If it doesn't, the insurrectionists can jump on the lagging corps. Austria can also place them in a position to cut supply when the invaders have moved on.

Again, as long as it's behaving predictably, which I'm persuaded it is, it can be playtested and suggestions made later.

(in reply to NeverMan)
Post #: 17
RE: insurrection corps broken in 1.05 - 1/29/2009 3:08:33 AM   
NeverMan

Would it be useful to be able to have the Insurr. Corps pop up on the number of corps that have passed through the area? For instance, a box that indicates "2" would mean the Insurr. Corps could pop up on the 2nd corps passing through that area in a land phase?

Something like this should be very easy to implement and would at least give the AU more control.

(in reply to ndrose)
Post #: 18
RE: insurrection corps broken in 1.05 - 1/29/2009 1:53:13 PM   
Marshall Ellis

I am open to tweaks.

Thank you

Marshall Ellis

(in reply to NeverMan)
Post #: 19
RE: insurrection corps broken in 1.05 - 1/29/2009 4:05:51 PM   
NeverMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marshall Ellis

I am open to tweaks.

I just don't see how it's going to hurt to add something like what I have mentioned. I don't think that giving the user more options that closer resembles Empires in Arms is a bad thing, particularly if it's easy to implement, which this should be.

Post #: 20
RE: insurrection corps broken in 1.05 - 1/31/2009 11:08:01 AM   
delatbabel

quote:

ORIGINAL: RJCowan

I am in a PBEM game as Austria.  The game was started in 1.04.07 and migrated to 1.05, then 1.05.03.  (The game is being used to train our recent converts, so we're being very forgiving of the peculiarities we've seen, and just carrying on.)

My Insurrection Area button tells me, regardless of which area I have highlighted, that there are already the maximum three areas chosen.  Nothing toggles off.  I have found no way to determine which areas are toggled on for Insurrection (is there supposed to be an indicator?).

Has anyone else seen this, or is this just one of the oddities due to upgrading to 1.05.03? 

I am having the same problem in leeward_ho.

--
Del

(in reply to RJCowan)
Post #: 21
RE: insurrection corps broken in 1.05 - 1/31/2009 5:05:08 PM   
Marshall Ellis

This is due to the fact that upgrading an existing game with the insurrection rules change is not initing the insurrection functions properly. I will look to add something to 1.05.04 to fix this!

Thank you

Marshall Ellis

(in reply to delatbabel)
Post #: 22
RE: insurrection corps broken in 1.05 - 1/31/2009 6:46:13 PM   
ndrose

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marshall Ellis

This is due to the fact that upgrading an existing game with the insurrection rules change is not initing the insurrection functions properly. I will look to add something to 1.05.04 to fix this!

As long as you're looking at this, I noticed a related problem in a game (human Austria vs. AI) started in 1.05.03: if you have Tyrol selected as an insurrection area, and then you create the Confederation of the Rhine, you can't toggle off Tyrol because it's no longer an Austrian area. (Whether it will still actually trigger the insurrection corps I don't know.) Minor, but as long as you're fiddling with this anyway....

Post #: 23
RE: insurrection corps broken in 1.05 - 2/1/2009 12:24:54 AM   
Thresh

Tyrol shouldn't be an Insurrection Province, there is the whole Tyrolian Corps thing going on with it though.

Todd

(in reply to ndrose)
Post #: 24
RE: insurrection corps broken in 1.05 - 2/1/2009 12:46:00 AM   
ndrose

quote:

ORIGINAL: Thresh

Tyrol shouldn't be an Insurrection Province, there is the whole Tyrolian Corps thing going on with it though.

Todd

In the boardgame, that's true. The insurrections were only in the east, as I recall. But Marshall's got it set up so that any area can be designated an insurrection trigger--only problem is that in this case if it's in the Tyrol and becomes part of the C of R, it can't be turned off. I haven't tested it, but I would suspect that the same problem would occur in the Galicias if you created Poland, and maybe would also happen anywhere if you ceded the province as a peace condition.

(in reply to Thresh)
Post #: 25
RE: insurrection corps broken in 1.05 - 2/1/2009 6:48:03 PM   
Marshall Ellis

Good catch here guys! Will look to fix this..

Thank you

Marshall Ellis

(in reply to ndrose)
Post #: 26
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Empire in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> Tech Support >> insurrection corps broken in 1.05 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI