Matrix Games Forums

New information and screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Pride of NationsTo End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers requiredPandora: Eclipse of Nashira gets release dateCommunity impressions of To End All WarsAgeod's To End All Wars is now availableTo End All Wars is now available!Deal of the Week: Field of GloryTo End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Can TOAW be run from an external HD?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Can TOAW be run from an external HD? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Can TOAW be run from an external HD? - 1/22/2009 10:26:00 PM   
rowech

If I were to install this game to an external hard drive, would it run without problems once the HD was plugged into my laptop?
Post #: 1
RE: Can TOAW be run from an external HD? - 1/22/2009 11:41:48 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: rowech
If I were to install this game to an external hard drive, would it run without problems once the HD was plugged into my laptop?

IIRC I've run it from a flash drive before. Same principle I suppose.

(in reply to rowech)
Post #: 2
RE: Can TOAW be run from an external HD? - 1/23/2009 12:28:17 AM   
rowech

Were there any problems?  Especially, slow down of some sort?

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 3
RE: Can TOAW be run from an external HD? - 1/23/2009 1:29:35 AM   
larryfulkerson

I remember having to name the flash drive the same as when I installed it on the flash drive because the program will look in the Registry for the location and if the drive isn't the same name as when you installed it, it won't find the program when it goes to run it or something like that.  Other than that I don't remember any problems at all.  No slow down or anything.  The newest version of TOAW has some kind of check for the serial number of the hardware or something so trying to run the program on a another computer can't work I guessing.  Not that I ever tried to do that or anything.

(in reply to rowech)
Post #: 4
RE: Can TOAW be run from an external HD? - 2/19/2009 10:23:13 AM   
PDiFolco

AFAIK The Matrix serial nrs only are checked on install - or rather you must have one to install-, but no other limitations, so you can put it on an external HD and play it from any computer, just the reg keys are to change as stated by Larry, if the HD designation (E:, F:,..whatever) changes : edit your TOAW3.reg file and "load it" into registry (dble-click it for that).
Maybe Erik could confirm, but I think all this is perfectly doable and legal.

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 5
RE: Can TOAW be run from an external HD? - 2/21/2009 11:09:53 PM   
ralphtrick

quote:

ORIGINAL: PDiFolco

AFAIK The Matrix serial nrs only are checked on install - or rather you must have one to install-, but no other limitations, so you can put it on an external HD and play it from any computer, just the reg keys are to change as stated by Larry, if the HD designation (E:, F:,..whatever) changes : edit your TOAW3.reg file and "load it" into registry (dble-click it for that).
Maybe Erik could confirm, but I think all this is perfectly doable and legal.

The serial numbers are actually checked as part of the startup, so there is a chance that if you're playing with a pirated copy, the next patch may not let you play. Matrix scrapes the pirate sites looking for illegal serial numbers. They're also checked to see if both PBEM players have the same serial number, and it turns off the anti-cheating features. I call that one poetic justice.

I'm not sure that you need to edit the registry, as long as it was installed somewhere so that the serial number key is there, I routinely run it on a USB key. Editing and loading may be a bit slower, and you may want to turn off the 'Movies', but I've tried to keep all Disk I/O limited to the startup and the scenario loads.

Ralph Trickey
TOAW III Programmer
Blog: http://operationalwarfare.com
---
My comments are my own, and do not represent the views of any other person or entity. Nothing that I say should be construed in any way as a promise of anything.

(in reply to PDiFolco)
Post #: 6
RE: Can TOAW be run from an external HD? - 3/13/2009 7:51:26 PM   
Major SNAFU

So. I have a related question:

I have a new work laptop that is locked down. I have no ablility to install programs - but I want to continue to play TOAWIII on the road when traveling.

So I need to be able to run in from an external drive on this laptop to which it was never installed. I believe I am not able to alter the registry of this laptop either.

Can I copy the entire directory from my home computer onto the flash drive and be able to run the game?

Can this be made possible?

"Popular Opinion? What I suggest you do with 'Popular Opinion' is biologically impossible and morally questionable." - T. Bartlet Rile, Prof. Irish History in Frank Delany's "Ireland: A Novel."

(in reply to ralphtrick)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Can TOAW be run from an external HD? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI