Matrix Games Forums

War in the West gets its first update!Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm version 2.08 is now available!Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual preview
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

freeware downloads

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Classic (Free) Games] >> Titans of Steel - Warring Suns >> freeware downloads Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
freeware downloads - 1/21/2009 7:26:23 PM   
LarkinVB

TOS:WS got well over 20.000 downloads across all mirrors. I'm curious how many did really play the game at all.
Post #: 1
RE: freeware downloads - 1/22/2009 7:52:54 AM   
Eilim

Well, I can vouch for atleast one. Granted, it was because of this post. :) Couldn't find my original download from back when I purchased it, so decided to grab the freeware. Now I just have to relearn everything. The one thing that did come back quickly was just how much fun I had playing the game. As a Mech game junky, I do have to say ToS was always my favorite and I was always dissapointed it never caught on bigger and gathered more support. I always had dreams of more comprhensive campaign/rpg-like feature support in possible expansions and/or sequels. Oh well,  atleast I was able to find my copy of the 'unsupported' editor and might have to try my hand at making maps/campaigns again.

(in reply to LarkinVB)
Post #: 2
RE: freeware downloads - 1/22/2009 1:06:33 PM   
sabre1

I played, play the game.  It is really quite a gem.  Just so little time and definitely too many friggin games.  I love the RPG aspects of it.  Which reminds me, I need to check out the Warengine...

(in reply to Eilim)
Post #: 3
RE: freeware downloads - 1/23/2009 3:13:12 PM   
jureidinim

Still play from time to time.

(in reply to sabre1)
Post #: 4
RE: freeware downloads - 1/23/2009 11:54:06 PM   
Eternius

I had been playing the beta for a while now but recently discovered the most recent version here. Love the changes though wish I could still have the pleasure of working while random teams of bots annihalate each other in the background. ^_^

A great game, put very simply.

(in reply to jureidinim)
Post #: 5
RE: freeware downloads - 1/27/2009 3:25:12 PM   
woodpecker

I played the old ToS many years ago, and recently found the free WS download.  Now I am playing the game again, probably more hours each day than I should be.  Definitely one of my all-time favorite games!

(in reply to Eternius)
Post #: 6
RE: freeware downloads - 1/27/2009 7:28:24 PM   
Matti Kuokkanen

I downloaded WS yesterday, and still haven't played it. I might give it a try, but becouse BattleTech & MegaMek are so great with the combined arms, campaign systems, and everything else, I'm almost certain I won't become devoted WS player.

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to LarkinVB)
Post #: 7
RE: freeware downloads - 8/9/2009 12:53:52 PM   
namad

Not sure if it is appropriate to necro this thread but... this thread definitely didn't get enough love so... I downloaded and played the game this week :)

(in reply to Matti Kuokkanen)
Post #: 8
RE: freeware downloads - 12/3/2009 12:03:53 PM   
Tecnócrata

Normal, many people will download free stuff since there's no cost in doing so... It's normal. If that serves the purpose of some discovering this more than great game, fine.

I bought this when released, at full price, and don't regret it. Still playing now (just started a new campaign from Rookie level).

Home of the Underdogs is back!

Spread the word!

http://www.hotud.org

(in reply to namad)
Post #: 9
RE: freeware downloads - 12/4/2009 9:18:11 AM   
LarkinVB

Don't forget to add the 1.2.2 patch. It's well worth I think. 

(in reply to Tecnócrata)
Post #: 10
RE: freeware downloads - 12/5/2009 5:37:34 AM   
SSFSX17

I still play against the AI every once in a while.

(in reply to LarkinVB)
Post #: 11
RE: freeware downloads - 12/10/2009 11:48:25 AM   
Tecnócrata

I did, many thanks. The "cloning" thing is particularly a nice addition. Just lost my leader at the beginning of a battle (critical chainsaw hit) and it's good to keep all those hard earned PX.

Home of the Underdogs is back!

Spread the word!

http://www.hotud.org

(in reply to LarkinVB)
Post #: 12
RE: freeware downloads - 2/16/2010 3:31:58 AM   
Ghstbear

Dear LarkinVB,

I noticed a little bug. If the mission objective is to destroy all the buildings in a given target area, it's currently not allowing the player to see any targets. I think this is related to the new upgrade of not using a target area unless it applies to mission completion.
Another thought on this: In the campaign I have been making, there are times when I would like to highlight a certain hex as important, but I don't feel the person must go there or destroy anything there to complete the mission. I have found it is sometimes useful even if it does not relate to the mission. Isn't there some advantage to still being able to see it? Just a thought.

(in reply to LarkinVB)
Post #: 13
RE: freeware downloads - 2/16/2010 7:59:39 AM   
LarkinVB

Bug confirmed.

I will also reenable area display without a relating victory/defeat condition. It is usefull and already used (expl. metaborator map 4). I disabled it because the latest map editor is setting the areas to 11/11 by default which can be confusing.

Solution: I will allow target/exit area display if it is either
a) connected to a victory/defeat condition OR
b) it is an area bigger than 1 hex OR
c) it is size of 1 hex but not hex 11/11.

Edit: Fixed and uploaded with b37

< Message edited by LarkinVB -- 2/21/2010 10:13:00 PM >

(in reply to Ghstbear)
Post #: 14
RE: freeware downloads - 2/16/2010 9:13:07 PM   
Son_of_Montfort

I played this back before it was freeware...

SoM

"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet!"
(Kill them all. God will know his own.)

-- Arnaud-Armaury, the Albigensian Crusade

(in reply to LarkinVB)
Post #: 15
RE: freeware downloads - 2/18/2010 2:41:04 PM   
Aensland

Mmm, I love the fresh smell of updates :)

I *think* I stalled out at the last campaign, "Vossler's Gambit". My notes show I stopped playing at map 8, "Hare of the Rabbit". Is this the last map, and is it still the last campaign? I recall having merged my two squads of 4 (it's easier to manage a squad of 4) for this campaign all those years ago.

I'm gonna start over, all over again, and maybe bore you all with more uninspired battle reports Actually, wow, I'm surprised I still have my old campaign notes. All of them. Complete with cheesy narration. I'm looking forward to using the 1.2.2 updates this time around though.

Ab Clades, Malevolentia; Ab Victoria, Ultio
( " In Defeat, Malice; In Victory, Revenge! " )

(in reply to Son_of_Montfort)
Post #: 16
RE: freeware downloads - 2/18/2010 6:22:26 PM   
LarkinVB

Vosslers Gambit is 11 maps. There is a new branching campaign, rise of robots, in the titan's map room. 

(in reply to Aensland)
Post #: 17
RE: freeware downloads - 2/21/2010 10:10:59 PM   
LarkinVB

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ghstbear
Another thought on this: In the campaign I have been making, there are times when I would like to highlight a certain hex as important, but I don't feel the person must go there or destroy anything there to complete the mission. I have found it is sometimes useful even if it does not relate to the mission. Isn't there some advantage to still being able to see it? Just a thought.

Is it possible to set a target area unrelated to win/defeat conditions with the current editor ? I tried but failed. I know that this feature is used in map 4 of the metaborator campaign but perhaps this was only possible because it was created with an earlier version of the editor. I did not code the editor and can't remember.

(in reply to Ghstbear)
Post #: 18
RE: freeware downloads - 2/22/2010 1:40:44 AM   
Ghstbear

It's a little jumping through hoops.  You have to set the mission objective to a target related one, then set the targets where you want.  Then you can switch it back and it does preserve their location.

(in reply to LarkinVB)
Post #: 19
RE: freeware downloads - 12/18/2010 12:28:28 PM   
Stafroty

im playing this. Loving it like crazy, got myself totally addicted to it!! 

(in reply to Ghstbear)
Post #: 20
RE: freeware downloads - 6/12/2011 12:21:44 PM   
PDiFolco

Raise from the dead threads !
A guy at Cyberstratege asked for a good mech game, I remembered WS (which I played when it was freeware before Matrix version), and I'm back in ! This game is really a gem when it comes to mech games, and the game system will also work for a nice tac game with tanks, or starships ... Seems like the VB team broke up, any chance to have a successor to WS ? 

(in reply to Stafroty)
Post #: 21
RE: freeware downloads - 6/13/2011 10:48:03 AM   
LarkinVB

Sorry, no chance for a successor. I'm no longer willing to invest so much time and energy into a single project.

(in reply to PDiFolco)
Post #: 22
RE: freeware downloads - 6/14/2011 10:17:48 PM   
PDiFolco

quote:

ORIGINAL: LarkinVB

Sorry, no chance for a successor. I'm no longer willing to invest so much time and energy into a single project.

Too bad ! You could find help, there's seemingly a ton of geeks that have time to kill on open source projects ..

(in reply to LarkinVB)
Post #: 23
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Classic (Free) Games] >> Titans of Steel - Warring Suns >> freeware downloads Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI