Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week Battle Academy Battle Academy 2 Out now!Legions of Steel ready for betaBattle Academy 2 gets trailers and Steam page!Deal of the Week Germany at WarSlitherine Group acquires Shenandoah StudioNew information and screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Pride of NationsTo End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers required
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Potential postwar photo of Hibiki?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Potential postwar photo of Hibiki? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Potential postwar photo of Hibiki? - 1/8/2009 10:31:52 PM   
thegreatwent

I think this a post war photo of Hibiki The Guns are removed and some superstructure has been added, perhaps for repatriation of Japanese soldiers, but I think it is her. If I'm wrong let me know the threadsters here spot tons of stuff I miss.

http://yamato.kure-city.jp/yamato/search/detail.php?&page=1&det_pos=0

search for PG071930 and one image is found. Don't know why its not letting me link directly?

< Message edited by thegreatwent -- 1/8/2009 10:38:27 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Potential postwar photo of Hibiki? - 1/8/2009 10:48:32 PM   
Lecivius

All I get at work is a blue framed box...nothing else

(in reply to thegreatwent)
Post #: 2
RE: Potential postwar photo of Hibiki? - 1/8/2009 10:57:22 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

All I get at work is a blue framed box...nothing else

Ditto - using Firefox 3 and IE6.

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 3
RE: Potential postwar photo of Hibiki? - 1/8/2009 11:10:44 PM   
Cuttlefish

You have to enter the id string in the search box to get the image. I'll go ahead and add the picture to this post.

It might be Hibiki. The narrow forward funnel is characteristic of the Akatsukis, and Hibiki was the only one of the four to survive the war. The spotlight placement and shape of the bridge are also correct, but the rest of the ship is too much of a mess for me to tell much. Perhaps others can discern more.

Hibiki was later turned over to the Soviets and renamed Pritky. I would love to see a photo of her during those years (1947 - 1963) but have never found one.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 4
RE: Potential postwar photo of Hibiki? - 1/8/2009 11:16:53 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cuttlefish

You have to enter the id string in the search box to get the image. I'll go ahead and add the picture to this post.

It might be Hibiki. The narrow forward funnel is characteristic of the Akatsukis, and Hibiki was the only one of the four to survive the war. The spotlight placement and shape of the bridge are also correct, but the rest of the ship is too much of a mess for me to tell much. Perhaps others can discern more.

Hibiki was later turned over to the Soviets and renamed Pritky. I would love to see a photo of her during those years (1947 - 1963) but have never found one.

Are you positive about that CF? From what I see, the Pritkiy was the former German DD Frederich Ihn.

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 5
RE: Potential postwar photo of Hibiki? - 1/8/2009 11:21:43 PM   
Barb

Z-14 Friederich Ihn was named Pospeshnyj (or something like that)

"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again?"

(in reply to Onime No Kyo)
Post #: 6
RE: Potential postwar photo of Hibiki? - 1/8/2009 11:28:54 PM   
Onime No Kyo

Best I can find is that Hibiki was renamed Verniy but I cant locate any pictures of it in that period.

EDIT: I cant find a reference to a Pospeshniy in the Soviet navy at all. The last ship of that name was of WW1 vintage.

Ugh! OOB gives me a headache.

< Message edited by Onime No Kyo -- 1/8/2009 11:36:58 PM >

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to Barb)
Post #: 7
RE: Potential postwar photo of Hibiki? - 1/8/2009 11:30:49 PM   
Local Yokel

This would indeed appear to be a post-war shot of Hibiki, photographed at Yokosuka in May 1947. Follow this link on the j-aircraft board and click on the thumbnail in the 4th post. You get a decent-sized view of the vessel in which it can be seen that the name Hibiki as been painted on the hull amidships.

Post #: 8
RE: Potential postwar photo of Hibiki? - 1/8/2009 11:33:30 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: Barb

Z-14 Friederich Ihn was named Pospeshnyj (or something like that)

According to
http://www.german-navy.de/kriegsmarine/ships/destroyer/zerstorer1934a/z14friedirchihn/history.html

"In the final days of the war, the destroyer was part of the evacuation fleet in East Prussia and was decommissioned on 10.05.1945. Taken over by the British, but given to the Soviet Union where it entered fleet lists on 05.11.1945. Taken over by a Russian crew on 02.01.1946, the ship arrived in Libau five days later. On 13.02.1946 it was renamed to Prytkiy and served in the North Baltic fleet until 22.03.1952 when it was disarmed, removed from the fleet lists and scrapped."

(in reply to Barb)
Post #: 9
RE: Potential postwar photo of Hibiki? - 1/8/2009 11:40:40 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: Local Yokel

This would indeed appear to be a post-war shot of Hibiki, photographed at Yokosuka in May 1947. Follow this link on the j-aircraft board and click on the thumbnail in the 4th post. You get a decent-sized view of the vessel in which it can be seen that the name Hibiki as been painted on the hull amidships.

Thumbnails? All i see is words and a "page" icon - clicking on stuff gets a reload of the same page... again, i used 2 different browsers.

(in reply to Local Yokel)
Post #: 10
RE: Potential postwar photo of Hibiki? - 1/8/2009 11:49:27 PM   
Cuttlefish

I'm pretty sure about Hibiki being renamed Pritky. From Hibiki's TROM from combinedfleet.com:

5 April 1947:
Turned over to Soviet Union; renamed PRITKY.

quote:

ORIGINAL: rtrapasso

According to
http://www.german-navy.de/kriegsmarine/ships/destroyer/zerstorer1934a/z14friedirchihn/history.html

"In the final days of the war, the destroyer was part of the evacuation fleet in East Prussia and was decommissioned on 10.05.1945. Taken over by the British, but given to the Soviet Union where it entered fleet lists on 05.11.1945. Taken over by a Russian crew on 02.01.1946, the ship arrived in Libau five days later. On 13.02.1946 it was renamed to Prytkiy and served in the North Baltic fleet until 22.03.1952 when it was disarmed, removed from the fleet lists and scrapped."

Note the difference between in spelling: Prytkiy and Pritky. These could be two different names, though they are close enough that they could also be two different renditions of the original Cyrillic.

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 11
RE: Potential postwar photo of Hibiki? - 1/8/2009 11:56:52 PM   
Local Yokel

quote:

quote:

Thumbnails? All i see is words and a "page" icon - clicking on stuff gets a reload of the same page... again, i used 2 different browsers.

Maybe I can supply a URL from the j-aircraft board that you can open within your image viewer - try this link. It's the link to the photograph in Dan Kaplan's reply #3 in the thread.

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 12
RE: Potential postwar photo of Hibiki? - 1/8/2009 11:59:16 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cuttlefish
Note the difference between in spelling: Prytkiy and Pritky. These could be two different names, though they are close enough that they could also be two different renditions of the original Cyrillic.

I wish it were that easy but no. Pritky is written as Прыткий in Russian. The last letter produces a short "ee" sound which confounds transliteration.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 13
RE: Potential postwar photo of Hibiki? - 1/8/2009 11:59:22 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

quote:

quote:

Maybe I can supply a URL from the j-aircraft board that you can open within your image viewer - try this link. It's the link to the photograph in Dan Kaplan's reply #3 in the thread.

ACK! Well, i'll pass - you have to register to see anything, it appears... everytime i register with something, my junk email goes up...

Post #: 14
RE: Potential postwar photo of Hibiki? - 1/9/2009 12:05:09 AM   
thegreatwent

Thanks for the help CF! I was just noodling around the internet and found that image, I am pretty sure it is the good ship but the superstructure changes make it difficult to be sure.

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 15
RE: Potential postwar photo of Hibiki? - 1/9/2009 12:14:41 AM   
Local Yokel

OK, I'll try posting the photograph here directly. Hopefully this won't get me into copyright hot water.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 16
RE: Potential postwar photo of Hibiki? - 1/9/2009 12:26:06 AM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: thegreatwent

Thanks for the help CF! I was just noodling around the internet and found that image, I am pretty sure it is the good ship but the superstructure changes make it difficult to be sure.

Well, it DOES have HIBIKI painted across the middle of the hull!

Post #: 17
RE: Potential postwar photo of Hibiki? - 1/9/2009 12:27:01 AM   
rtrapasso

quote:

OK, I'll try posting the photograph here directly. Hopefully this won't get me into copyright hot water.

Cool! Thanks!!!

Post #: 18
RE: Potential postwar photo of Hibiki? - 1/9/2009 12:44:32 AM   
Cuttlefish

This is a great find, thegreatwent, thanks for posting it. I have to admit, though, that seeing her in that condition makes me kind of sad. It's like seeing a old cheetah with its fur in patches and it's teeth and claws removed.

You can clearly see the platform added atop the aft deckhouse to mount more 25mm AA guns. The forward torpedo deck seems to be covered by a temporary structure, probably more housing. The two shacks at the stern seem too small to house more repatriated troops; latrines, perhaps?

Post #: 19
RE: Potential postwar photo of Hibiki? - 1/9/2009 12:51:39 AM   
Feinder

Are the "stern stacks" actually from the ship behind here? The one stack has division rings on, just like Hibiki.

I does kinda look like she got dinged pretty hard in the back-end tho.

-F-

< Message edited by Feinder -- 1/9/2009 12:53:06 AM >

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 20
RE: Potential postwar photo of Hibiki? - 1/9/2009 8:24:58 AM   
Sarconix

This is some clever research, especially when only using the web for quite dated material.

If you don't mind me asking, what is the fascination with Hibiki or this class of ship? It doesn't seem very remarkable to me at first glance. Is this because of the AAR, or something else?

I started reading the AAR, then stopped when I realized that A) it went on for dozens of more pages and B) it was still going after all this time. ... And I just checked it again... 4000+ posts?!?! You need to turn this into a book!

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 21
RE: Potential postwar photo of Hibiki? - 1/9/2009 11:26:28 AM   
Yamato hugger

quote:

ORIGINAL: Feinder

Are the "stern stacks" actually from the ship behind here? The one stack has division rings on, just like Hibiki.

I does kinda look like she got dinged pretty hard in the back-end tho.

-F-

Shacks, not stacks. Them 2 what appear to be wooden structures raised about 6 inches above the deck right on the rear of the ship. Yes, I wouldnt be surprised if they werent latrines. Look very simular to the ones in Vietnam.

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 22
RE: Potential postwar photo of Hibiki? - 1/9/2009 11:49:33 AM   
rjopel

It's of interest because of the AAR.

It's a very good read and you should reada it in it's entirety.

Many of us were on pins and needles recently over the AAR.

(in reply to Sarconix)
Post #: 23
RE: Potential postwar photo of Hibiki? - 1/9/2009 12:11:08 PM   
John 3rd

It is a good but sad picture of the warship.

Member: Reluctant Admiral and Perfect War Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to rjopel)
Post #: 24
RE: Potential postwar photo of Hibiki? - 1/10/2009 1:53:31 AM   
Onime No Kyo

I have come across a site for a Russian scuba club or association of some sort which briefly describes a dive some of its members made on the Hibiki wreck (it was expended as a gunnery target). For good or ill, they did not post any pictures, although they did have some photos of other wrecks in the area.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 25
RE: Potential postwar photo of Hibiki? - 3/14/2013 4:14:41 AM   
Japsea

Sorry for bad english - this is Google translator.
Bring up the subject.
I live in Russia, Vladivostok. Vladivostok is the base of the Pacific Navy of Russia (USSR).

After the Second World War the Soviet Union was to repair seven Japanese destroyers:Harutsuki (Внезапный), Hibiki (Прыткий), Hatsuzakura (Выразительный), Kaya (Волевой), Kiji (Внимательный), Kiri (Возрожденный), Shii (Вольный). All of these destroyers were part of the Pacific Fleet.

Near Vladivostok is an island Karamzin. In Soviet times it was used for firing the Soviet Navy. Along the coast of the island there were several ships of the target. Now they are all sunk. One of these ships is all divers are called "Japanese destroyer Hibiki."

Several times I dived on the ship. But then I was not interested in its history.Now I want to know whether the wreck is the destroyer Hibiki. For the identification of the vessel in the summer of 2013, I plan to organize an expedition with photos and videos.

Can you tell me what you first need to pay attention to? The vessel is a pile of metal. Well preserved only nose.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Japsea -- 3/14/2013 4:18:47 AM >

(in reply to Onime No Kyo)
Post #: 26
RE: Potential postwar photo of Hibiki? - 3/14/2013 4:19:32 AM   
Japsea

fore

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Japsea -- 3/14/2013 4:21:43 AM >

(in reply to Japsea)
Post #: 27
RE: Potential postwar photo of Hibiki? - 3/14/2013 4:33:56 AM   
Japsea

anchor hawse

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Japsea -- 3/14/2013 4:37:47 AM >

(in reply to Japsea)
Post #: 28
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Potential postwar photo of Hibiki? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI