Basing it on unit casualties by nationality would be a bit more difficult and esoteric. As it is, there would be some code changes to support the disappearing fort and insta-infantry, but those shouldn't be a problem. Also, note that with this configuration there actually wouldn't be a lot of Finnish units running around getting into trouble, so basing things on casualties inflicted or received by the Fins shouldn't really mean too much.
I'm still not comfortable retreating German units from Finland. It is doable, but sort of odd. The only other context where that is configured to happen today is surrenders (WA or Russia), where it makes sense. But the Germans are not surrendering, and perhaps would not choose to leave without a fight.
The practical effect of leaving Finland Axis unless ungarrisoned is not great. The conditions you suggest are such that they will occur near the end of the war. Finland contributes almost no units offensively. So not a whole lot is happening if Finland turns neutral. I agree it is cool gravy, so it is nice to have. But the restriction if there is a German unit there doesn't strike me as too bad.
I'm also inclined to reduce the insta-infantry a little, and limit how much it can happen (must be able to wear down the Fins somehow, and 4 units multiple times is a hell of a lot).
I haven't moved too far, but I propose this
1) Finland starts with zero units.
2) Finland sprouts 3 insta-infantry the first time it is attacked, 1 insta-infantry the second time it is attacked (this would be configured as a total limit and a per attack consumption, so 3,2,1,0 would not be possible, for example)
3) Finland is a fortress until captured.
4) event 1: Winter war - give Finland 1 infantry + 1 militia
5) event 2: Finland joins Germany if Ger at war with Rus and USA not at war, 50% the turn of war, 25%per turn thereafter.
6) event 3: Finland becomes neutral , if ungarrisoned and USA at war, 0% base, +25% for Allied control of Baltic States, +25% for Allied control of East Prussia, +25% for Allied control of Norway, +25% for Allied control of Sweden.
With 3 insta-infantry and 1 event infantry and 1 militia and fortress status, Finland would be quite hard to capture without dedicating a lot of resources in the wrong direction (away from Berlin), so this looks good to me. The fortress is an important part of making Finland defendable without being particularly offensively capable.
One further alternative which really depends on what I find when I try to code this is that Finland would receive 3 infantry the first time it is attacked only, plus 1 militia every time it is attacked. I like this because the 1 militia/attack is the same as all other neutrals, and the 3 infantry is special. I.e. it is just adding something special, it is not adding one special thing while removing 1 typical thing.
< Message edited by WanderingHead -- 1/8/2009 5:20:10 AM >