War in the East...

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

PzB74

War in the East...

Post by PzB74 »

Does anyone know if there has been any info regarding a new Eastern Front game?
Last time I read about it was in a Newsletter (a year ago or so?)....

Pretty sure I speak for a lot of dedicated Matrix customers when I say "This is what I'm waiting for". Feel free to help nudge Matrix' attention to this [;)]

A good second would be a new turn based game about the fortotten war - the War in Korea.

"The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without"
- Dwight D. Eisenhower
sterckxe

RE: War in the East...

Post by sterckxe »

ORIGINAL: PzB
Does anyone know if there has been any info regarding a new Eastern Front game?

Last I have is this :

http://www.2by3games.com/devjournal/jou ... 80331.html

Turn-based - weekly moves, 10 mile hexes

Available : 2009
A good second would be a new turn based game about the fortotten war - the War in Korea.

The Korea scenario in TOAW III is a classic - recommended

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx
Hertston

Post by Hertston »

2 by 3 aren't big on updates (although they are fun when they come), but I think they said they were going back to the Eastern Front game after finishing WBtS.  Estimated completion was 2009 or 2010; the latter seems rather more likely?
Lützow

Post by Lützow »

I second this.

A new dev diary, introducing the game system of WaR, along with a a few screenshots maybe, would be nice. There is no need to give an approximately release date but I'd like to know what to expext from this title and if it's, regarding detail and complexity, on par with WitP and could set a new milestone for 2by3 games.
Grell

Post by Grell »

I'm not getting this game, my brain is too far gone to play it.[:(]

Regards,

Grell

wosung

Post by wosung »

Last info on it on this forum might be:

tm.asp?m=1732154&mpage=2&key=
(post 44ff)

Joe Billings answered a few questions.

Regards
wosung
PzB74

Post by PzB74 »

Thx for the updates![:)]
I read the development journal last Spring, but afterwards I never heard anything more.
Maybe we can get a new status report before Xmas....

"The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without"
- Dwight D. Eisenhower
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

We are very actively developing our next war in the east game. I have been meaning to post an update on our website for the past few months, but haven't been able to get around to it. We've been actively alpha testing (with some testers) since July. There's plenty to do still to get to a beta version, and I've resisted screenshots since we're using an alpha test map, counters and interface. We've only just recently begun work on better counters and the interface/art, and the map work is also just gearing up after we had a false start with another artist. Maybe when things get slower around the holdiays I'll have time to post more detailed info, although screenshots will probably wait until we get better art which we hope to get in during the first quarter of 2009. The game is very playable now, although there's so much undergoing change, and we haven't come close to documenting everything going on in the game (and in some areas haven't tried to finalize our design). I can say I am constantly amazed at how much Gary manages to get in under the hood. The game in many ways will be as difficult to produce as War in the Pacific due to the sheer size and length of the game (and war). 2009 or 2010, that's about all I can say now. For me, I can say I am enjoying working on this more than WitP because as I'm more of a ground war guy. I find I'd rather be testing the game now than working on some of the development issues, so I take that as a good sign. I'll encourage the testers to talk about the game here if they have some time.
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
Phatguy

Post by Phatguy »

I'll test for you!!Need a tester who will test 8-10 hours per day? I have boatloads of free time..!!!!I have been denied going back to work until at least the middle of January...lol
My life is complete. 1000 Matrix posts.....
KTNJR

Post by KTNJR »

Thanks for the update Joel. Im looknig forward to this game very much!
In the meantime it's WITP and AE when it come out!

Thanks again[&o]
Peter Fisla

Post by Peter Fisla »

ORIGINAL: Joel Billings

We are very actively developing our next war in the east game. I have been meaning to post an update on our website for the past few months, but haven't been able to get around to it. We've been actively alpha testing (with some testers) since July. There's plenty to do still to get to a beta version, and I've resisted screenshots since we're using an alpha test map, counters and interface. We've only just recently begun work on better counters and the interface/art, and the map work is also just gearing up after we had a false start with another artist. Maybe when things get slower around the holdiays I'll have time to post more detailed info, although screenshots will probably wait until we get better art which we hope to get in during the first quarter of 2009. The game is very playable now, although there's so much undergoing change, and we haven't come close to documenting everything going on in the game (and in some areas haven't tried to finalize our design). I can say I am constantly amazed at how much Gary manages to get in under the hood. The game in many ways will be as difficult to produce as War in the Pacific due to the sheer size and length of the game (and war). 2009 or 2010, that's about all I can say now. For me, I can say I am enjoying working on this more than WitP because as I'm more of a ground war guy. I find I'd rather be testing the game now than working on some of the development issues, so I take that as a good sign. I'll encourage the testers to talk about the game here if they have some time.

That's great news Joel, thanks for the update!
Jeffrey H.

Post by Jeffrey H. »

Here's to hoping this one turns out to meet the really high expectations everyone seems to have.
History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson
Phatguy

Post by Phatguy »

I havent known them to make stinkers yet
My life is complete. 1000 Matrix posts.....
Lützow

Post by Lützow »

I'd like to see a similiar system as in WitP, regarding units autonomous operating after setup, till player carry out adjustments or task is accomplished. So I do not have to move every counter for each turn.
DavidFaust

Post by DavidFaust »

I'm in the alpha test team and I will try to do my best to report some aspects of this game.

The game has changed and improved since joining the alpha team so what I report may change between now and release. Some parts of the game have not been decided on.

The game (game name has not been decided yet) is divisional/brigade scale that uses 10 miles hexes and game turns represents 1 week. Players control all air and ground forces of either the Soviets or Germany and her allies.
In a turn air and ground forces are used to engage the enemy. There is no execution phase so all results are known while playing your turn.

I regard movement points to be an important part of the game as this is whats used when ground formations take action. In saying that a fast moving formation that has travelled a large distance does not have the fighting strength of a rested formation. (I found this out the hard way by losing a Pz division when I advanced too quickly)

Sorry for the brief post but I'm still not 100% sure what I can and cant say about this game.

wosung

Post by wosung »

Thank you. Every bit of info is appriciated.

The obmission of a combat resolution phase sounds interesting. Although the simultanuous combat resolution gang will make some noise.

IMO, one of the main flaws of  War in Russia is a rather dull clickfeast (esp. attack orders and distributing supplies) with the resolution condensed in a special phase. That somehow overstructured the game and wasn't good for the game flow.

Regards

Post scriptum: I'm trying hard not to ask you any question...
wosung
PzB74

Post by PzB74 »

Thx, this was great news! [:)]

Would be great with a few screenies for Xmas as well... [:'(]
Hope to see a new site "Under Development" soon!

Also a big salute to Gary - must he never stop turning out great wargames [&o]

- Dwight D. Eisenhower
DavidFaust

Post by DavidFaust »

Thx, this was great news! [:)]

Would be great with a few screenies for Xmas as well... [:'(]
Hope to see a new site "Under Development" soon!

Also a big salute to Gary - must he never stop turning out great wargames [&o]

The game is only using a alpha map atm, I dont think art work has been started yet. I would guess that no screen shots will be displayed to this has been completed.
Fintilgin

Post by Fintilgin »

Back in high school I used to play War in Russia.  I seem to be able to remember being able to get through a full campaign in a 'reasonable' amount of time.  I won't venture an hour estimate, but I know I won it several times, even while playing plenty of other games and dealing with school work.

Now, I bought War in the Pacific, and while it's cool, it's simply too big and long a game for me to really play seriously.  It can take a couple hundred hours to go from start to finish.  There's nothing wrong with that, but it's not really for me.  As rewarding as I'm sure it is, I can't dedicate that many of my limited gaming hours to a single play of one game!  WitP is more of a stand-alone hobby, in and of itself, then just a standard wargame.

So, I'm curious where War in East is intended to lie on this spectrum.  Will it be the sort of game where we can play through the full war in a week or two of gaming sessions, or will it be like WitP, where it takes a year or longer in real time to play from 1941-1945.

If it's the former, you can sign me up, copy sold.  If it's the later, I'll have to wish you good luck and watch from the sidelines. :)
Rodwell

Post by Rodwell »

Perhaps we could have a forum for this game, it certainly sounds like an interesting project (even if I would have preferred the entire European war).

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”