Matrix Games Forums

Battle Academy Mega Pack releases on SteamDeal of the Week Da Vinci's Art of WarCivil War II Patch 1.4 public BetaHappy Easter!Battle Academy is now available on SteamPlayers compare Ageods Civil War to Civil War IIDeal of the week - An updated War in the East goes half Price!Sign up for the Qvadriga beta for iPad and Android!Come and say hi at Pax and SaluteLegends of War goes on sale!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How does CS compare to Steel Panthers?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> How does CS compare to Steel Panthers? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How does CS compare to Steel Panthers? - 12/3/2008 4:22:51 PM   
Major SNAFU

I owned and played all of this series back in the day and I am looking to either purchase the new compilation or invest in the time to learn Steel Panthers.

I have only dabbled with SP so far. It also seems very comprehensive.

I am looking for opinions from those who have played both as to which has the most depth and control.

I am looking for something to compliment all of my TOAW time.

I have played Close Combat and the Combat mission series. Very nice, but too much effort expended in the graphics.

"Popular Opinion? What I suggest you do with 'Popular Opinion' is biologically impossible and morally questionable." - T. Bartlet Rile, Prof. Irish History in Frank Delany's "Ireland: A Novel."
Post #: 1
RE: How does CS compare to Steel Panthers? - 12/3/2008 6:05:28 PM   
countblue

I would prefer CS over SP (you can dl SP "world at war" free from matrix BTW)

I just love the sizeability of CS, from an encounter of battaillon size to an entire army everythng is possible.
It compliments perfect to TOAW I think.
SP has also its merits it is just a bit more "down to the single man detail" than up to the big view IMHO.

And lets be honest a little bit more grafic (than in SP) doesnt hurt does it?

my .02

CB

(in reply to Major SNAFU)
Post #: 2
RE: How does CS compare to Steel Panthers? - 12/3/2008 6:56:49 PM   
sparty

Both are great!

I agree with countblue about the graphics though.  For me, I have a REALLY hard time seeing units, etc. in SP.  Not sure if there's some kind of mod or something that'd help with that.

The real difference is mainly in the scale of the games, but from a "fun" standpoint both are outstanding. 

(in reply to countblue)
Post #: 3
RE: How does CS compare to Steel Panthers? - 12/3/2008 8:35:57 PM   
tactician93612

Both games, SP and JT:CS are superb. SP, although has Infantry & Tanks... the detail of
combat is too easy for me personally. For I feel that JT:CS has more to offer in tactics
and support. Again, this is my opinion, of course.

I've played SP and did well with its variety of scenarios and time-frames (ie, WW2 / VietNam).

When I started playing Talonsoft's East Front, West Front, Rising Sun... WoW! I became so
involved in it, I literally shelved my SP games.

Now, with Talonsoft being non-existent and Matrix revamping the JT:CS engine, this game
is just too hot to let it sit by the way-side.

You will not be disappointed ! The support, the players, the modders, are always looking to
get a game on and to help out with rules clarification. Not to leave out, JT:CS has a great
tutorial too (BootCamp). A great way to jump right in and learn the game!

As for the Close Combat games are concerned, I've played a few. And not the Matrix
edition. I have no time set aside to play them. I wish I did. lol

Now, that's my .02c worth too!

< Message edited by tactician93612 -- 12/3/2008 8:37:15 PM >

Post #: 4
RE: How does CS compare to Steel Panthers? - 12/3/2008 11:41:29 PM   
V22 Osprey

You can get SP:WAW for free anyway, so you my as well just download SP:WAW and purchase JTCS(Camapign Series).

I've had JTCS for only a couple months and haven't played a SP game since....

Don't get me wrong, though.Both games have unlimited replayability and are some of the best wargames out there.

< Message edited by V22 Osprey -- 12/3/2008 11:43:21 PM >

(in reply to tactician93612)
Post #: 5
RE: How does CS compare to Steel Panthers? - 12/4/2008 7:32:26 AM   
Adam Parker

quote:

ORIGINAL: Major SNAFU

I owned and played all of this series back in the day and I am looking to either purchase the new compilation or invest in the time to learn Steel Panthers...
I am looking for opinions from those who have played both as to which has the most depth and control.

Biggest difference between the two titles: JTCS is platoon based, Steel Panthers is squad based.

After that both games have their benefits and flaws:

1. JTCS - benefits: Plenty of scenarios, all theatres, easy to DYO and offers campaign play, one version of which you get to place your platoons before the action starts.

-Flaws: An AI that has trouble attacking and imo the biggest issue, infantry being able to fire at AFV's in an adjacent hex. Hexes are 250 meters across and this is just unrelastic. Uber bazookas? This was actually a Talonsfot (Jim Rose) decision and a bad one. CS was meant to be framed around the board games Panzer Blitz and Panzer Leader and this huge alteration wrecked a perfectly functioning system.

2. SP - benefits: Closest thing to Squad Leader on the PC? No not really, the game is nothing like it. But unlike Close Combat, it is the only turn based squad level PC game on the market that works.

Flaws: An AI that has trouble attacking especially in urban settings and a very retro feel now. Was my favorite game in the 1990's, in fact I bought SP1 before I had my first PC - it looked so sexy! I played SP2 to death. By SP3 the novelty had worn off. Now? Not my taste.

Basically, these are two old systems that are very stable thanks to being upgraded for the modern environment. JTCS makes for a very quick gaming session when I'm bored. But many of its scenarios are also rated 7-10 meaning a mamoth amount of units to manage and given the main flaw with the game, something I'll never be bothered with.

Hope that helps.

Adam.

Post #: 6
RE: How does CS compare to Steel Panthers? - 12/4/2008 3:06:38 PM   
Miamieagle

There is no comparison. CS includes the Pacific Theater and that something that other tacticle games do not offer. It gives you the diversity that World war two gave us. It was a total World war not just a single Theater War. CS gives us more choices and more fun and interesting scenerios.

I do not know about you Guys but I it gets boring fighting the same ememy all the time. Give your self the divesity of been able to fight different enemies with different capabities and not only in ETO cities and Battleground but also been able to fight in very different Battlegroungs like corral Island and Jungles and against a very tough enemy with a very different mind set than the Germans.

This is just my opinion!

< Message edited by Miamieagle -- 12/4/2008 3:09:57 PM >

(in reply to Adam Parker)
Post #: 7
RE: How does CS compare to Steel Panthers? - 12/4/2008 5:19:37 PM   
rich12545

Um, just for the record, spwaw includes all theaters also.

(in reply to Miamieagle)
Post #: 8
RE: How does CS compare to Steel Panthers? - 12/4/2008 7:48:30 PM   
Lützow

quote:

ORIGINAL: Major SNAFU

Both games are similiar in approach but I consider SP as more detailed.

Post #: 9
RE: How does CS compare to Steel Panthers? - 12/4/2008 9:42:18 PM   
Major SNAFU

Thanks to all.

I went ahead and purchased it.  I hadn't realised how much I missed this series.

"Popular Opinion? What I suggest you do with 'Popular Opinion' is biologically impossible and morally questionable." - T. Bartlet Rile, Prof. Irish History in Frank Delany's "Ireland: A Novel."

(in reply to Lützow)
Post #: 10
RE: How does CS compare to Steel Panthers? - 12/11/2008 10:12:51 PM   
SGT Rice

quote:

ORIGINAL: Adam Parker

2. SP - benefits: Closest thing to Squad Leader on the PC? No not really, the game is nothing like it. But unlike Close Combat, it is the only turn based squad level PC game on the market that works.

There is at least one more candidate; John Tiller's Squad Battles. Check out http://www.hpssims.com/ .

(in reply to Adam Parker)
Post #: 11
RE: How does CS compare to Steel Panthers? - 12/11/2008 11:49:26 PM   
V22 Osprey

I love the Squad Battles Series.

The closest you can get to squad leader on the PC.

I like the detail, like being able to pick up dropped weapons.The game has a John Tiller type interface so if you play panzer campaigns for example, you can get right to playing.

(in reply to SGT Rice)
Post #: 12
RE: How does CS compare to Steel Panthers? - 12/12/2008 11:21:23 AM   
Adam Parker

quote:

ORIGINAL: SGT Rice

There is at least one more candidate; John Tiller's Squad Battles. Check out http://www.hpssims.com/ .

You're right. I wrote AAR's for the Wargamer when it was first released. Brilliant AI in close-in terrain. Suffers from the same AI issues as any other game when in urban or open spaces.

My biggest beef with it is the lack of brevet leadership (ie: leader creation as in ASL). I asked John Tiller for it many times but was not what he wanted to see.

Many people claim SP to be the closest thing to SL, I never saw it that way but in the 1990's SP was very sexy!

(in reply to SGT Rice)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> How does CS compare to Steel Panthers? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI