So, what happens to a battleship when...

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

Shark7

So, what happens to a battleship when...

Post by Shark7 »

KB is just out of range to use torpedos or 800kg bombs?

Well after over 200 hits from 250 kg bombs, the BB looks something like this:

That's right, it stripped every single secondary battery and AAA battery off the ship. And its no where near sinking. [X(]
Attachments
200hits.gif
200hits.gif (123.79 KiB) Viewed 137 times
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
Feinder

RE: So, what happens to a battleship when...

Post by Feinder »

Welcome to the world of the USN (and it's bombs).

-F-
"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

khyberbill

Post by khyberbill »

I would say you are looking at many many months at the shipyards.
"Its a dog eat dog world Sammy and I am wearing Milkbone underwear" -Norm.
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

Wow! Totally stripped. Just as if they left it unattended on the B-Q expressway overnight.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
Japan

Post by Japan »

Well, thats actualy pritty bad,     I had the Battleship Kagoshima taking in total  14 000 Pounds of Bombs,   and its only Damage  was   20 System Damage and 40 Fires,   after a day the Damage was  22 System Damage and 15 Fire Damage.

She is now back in Japan and are being Repaired.

[:)]
AAR VIDEO
THE FIRST YEAR + THE SECOND YEAR
tm.asp?m=2133035&mpage=1&key=&
Grunt

Post by Grunt »

But the Kingfishers are unscratched.
Ron Saueracker

Post by Ron Saueracker »

Yeah...float planes need to take hits, as do leaders with tower penetrations etc.

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan
AirGriff

Post by AirGriff »

Well, thats actualy pritty bad,     I had the Battleship Kagoshima taking in total  14 000 Pounds of Bombs,   and its only Damage  was   20 System Damage and 40 Fires,   after a day the Damage was  22 System Damage and 15 Fire Damage.

She is now back in Japan and are being Repaired.

Yeah, I put 42 bombs into her.  Mostly 1,000 pounders, a smattering of 500 pounders, and four 2,000 pounders.  That was all from LBA.  I'm going to have to re-introduce the beau bombers, I guess. 
Japan

Post by Japan »

ORIGINAL: AirGriff
Yeah, I put 42 bombs into her.  Mostly 1,000 pounders, a smattering of 500 pounders, and four 2,000 pounders.  That was all from LBA.  I'm going to have to re-introduce the beau bombers, I guess. 

Hehe my freind, ye i think Torpedos would killed her.

As im sure you understood, the actual plan was for the Ships to make it down to Hollendia and back before morning, guess the battle took to long time... was very afraid you would torpedo her when i saw she was under your air umbrella that next day... lucky for us this time i guess.. [;)]

AAR VIDEO
THE FIRST YEAR + THE SECOND YEAR
tm.asp?m=2133035&mpage=1&key=&
AirGriff

Post by AirGriff »

I was under the impression 1,000 pound bombs penetrated the BB's. Grrrr. Well, I stripped all the stuff off her except the turrets, so you can convert her to a cruise ship until repaired.
Dili

Post by Dili »

That is one of big problems with game engine, if it never penetrates it almost never kills even with dozens of bombs in same place.
bradfordkay

Post by bradfordkay »

ORIGINAL: Grunt

But the Kingfishers are unscratched.

That's because they were jettisoned before the attack as per SOP.
fair winds,
Brad
Feinder

Post by Feinder »

You'd think the catapults would have gotten hit then...  And, jettisoned or launched, what did they return to, and how did they manage to recover them (given that in WitP, the only things that are working on this ship besides the big boomers, are the Kingfishers).

[;)]
-F-
"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

John Lansford

Post by John Lansford »

I once caught Shokaku within LBA range from Gili-Gili and Port Moresby, and after the CAP was stripped away, got several dozen 500 lb bomb hits on her.  Not one penetrated the flight deck, so she sailed away with her flight deck on fire and that was it.

At least until North Carolina caught up with her that evening...

Meanwhile, Hiyo was also within range of the LBA, and she did not have an armored flight deck.  Twenty 500 lb bombs later, she was headed underwater.
mlees

Post by mlees »

ORIGINAL: John Lansford

I once caught Shokaku within LBA range from Gili-Gili and Port Moresby, and after the CAP was stripped away, got several dozen 500 lb bomb hits on her.  Not one penetrated the flight deck, so she sailed away with her flight deck on fire and that was it.

At least until North Carolina caught up with her that evening...

Meanwhile, Hiyo was also within range of the LBA, and she did not have an armored flight deck.  Twenty 500 lb bombs later, she was headed underwater.

If I recall, that's one of the quirks of the game engine. The USS Yorktown had a 60lb (I think that is 1 1/2 inch) hangar deck floor. The flight deck was unarmored. A 500 pound bomb hit would hole the flight deck, and explode within the hangar deck area.

The Japanese carriers (other than Taiho/Shinano) also used the same armor scheme.

On the British armored carriers with 3 inches of protection (Illustrious class), the flight deck was designed to resist 1000 pounders. Other than sweeping off the FOD, the ship should resume flight ops pretty quickly.

But the game engine does not discriminate between the two different protection schemes. It treats everything like an armored box (Illustrious style). If the weapon penetrates, great. If it don't, too bad so sad.
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

ORIGINAL: Ron Saueracker

Yeah...float planes need to take hits, as do leaders with tower penetrations etc.

Well in this case nothing penetrated, but yes there does need to be a possibility of the bridge crew being killed, and there also need to be 'hangar' critical hits that take out the floatplanes etc.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
John Lansford

Post by John Lansford »

Wouldn't it have been more realistic to just change the USN/IJN carrier deck armor strength to something negligible, so that even the little 250 lb bombs carried by the Beaufighters would actually damage them?  Cargo ships don't have deck armor and I've yet to see many of them blow up from critical hits caused by bombs; torpedo hits yes, but bombs?  Usually it's just a lot of fires and system damage, which should happen on carriers too.
Ron Saueracker

Post by Ron Saueracker »

Yeah, and crew factor loss as well!!![:)][8D] A more elaborate armor/structure/damage/critical hit scheme would be welcome for sure. The current model, which fails to differentiate between citadels, hangars, tapered belts, unarmoured areas of superstructure and hull, near miss incurred damage etc is severely wanting...right now what we basically have is a ship painted overall with armoured enamel ("BOINK!!!" TM).[:D] Thankfully they have attempted to remedy some of this with permanent floatation damage etc but the "BOINK" TM paint still leaves armoured ships with ridiculous durabilities.

"Boink!!!" TM is manufactured by the makers of "Kablammo!!!" TM.

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan
tabpub

Post by tabpub »

tm.asp?m=1628705&mpage=1?

link should take you to AAR page describing similar situation. Scroll down to the last post if you don't want to read the prior pages; the last post is the pertinent one.

While many of the ships listed there show bombs as proximate cause of demise, torpedoes were involved in most of the cases as the final straw.
Except in the case of Musashi; where it is not known whether she was scuttled or sank due to the damage at this moment.
Sing to the tune of "Man on the Flying Trapeze"
..Oh! We fly o'er the treetops with inches to spare,
There's smoke in the cockpit and gray in my hair.
The tracers look fine as a strafin' we go.
But, brother, we're TOO God damn low...
spence

Post by spence »

IRL Haruna, Ise and Hyuga were all sunk by bomb damage at Kure in the last weeks of the war.

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”