Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week Battle Academy Battle Academy 2 Out now!Legions of Steel ready for betaBattle Academy 2 gets trailers and Steam page!Deal of the Week Germany at WarSlitherine Group acquires Shenandoah StudioNew information and screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Pride of NationsTo End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers required
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Attack deployment areas too small

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat: Wacht am Rhein >> RE: Attack deployment areas too small Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Attack deployment areas too small - 3/5/2012 5:34:58 AM   
US Brake

quote:

ORIGINAL: nietsche

I know that attacking is supposed to be hard and that defending is easier ... however the current tiny deployment areas for attackers results in too many "turkey shoots" where a single artillery strike, mortars and a deployment of tanks/guns can wipe out the attackers in a couple of minutes. This is made worse by the likelihood of vehicles losing tracks if they start in wooded areas.

The Defender only needs to defend roads and a little bit of attention to infantry through the woods.

Broader attack areas would help overcome this problem and not significantly cause trouble with the defense "advantage" that you should have.

It all results in a significant loss of realism.

Great post nietsche. This is one of the main reasons I always prefered CC3 or Cross of Iron to the other versions for H2H games.

The attacker should have the element of suprise in the attack. The attacker should have the option of attacking into a map at a point where the attacker chooses and where the defender can be misled. That is one of an attackers advatages; they choose the point of attack. In the CCIV set up the defender always knows where you attack point is and knows where all your units will start when entering a new map. The CC3 style didnt have this problem, when you advance into a new map you get more area to deploy in.

(in reply to nietsche)
Post #: 31
RE: Attack deployment areas too small - 3/5/2012 6:01:22 PM   
Platoon_Michael

Considering ones location in there current deployment of Battle(Town/Area they occupy now) I can debate this one all day.

I agree I liked the CCIII/COI deployment better but in all honesty the attacker doesn't have his perfect wish of where to attack from.
He attacks from where his current location is to the location he wants to concur.

Now he may send a Unit or Units out to his Flanks( something CCIII and COI has by it's longer deployments zone) but in all honesty his main thrust will always be in one key area.

Now if you can surround an enemy BG on the Strategic Map during a Grand campaign you have many more options to attacking.

< Message edited by Platoon_Michael -- 3/5/2012 6:04:08 PM >

(in reply to US Brake)
Post #: 32
RE: Attack deployment areas too small - 3/6/2012 2:33:35 AM   
Tejszd

LSA tries to address the deployment zone issues between the strat layer and the battle map with the following changes;

You can have 2 connections between maps instead of 1

- If the attacker held both VL’s on the adjoining map they would get 2 entry areas giving them a larger deployment area and making the defender have to guess where the main effort will come from

You can have/move 2 BG’s onto a map; 1 frontline and 1 reserve

- When moving 2 BG’s onto a map the 1 moved as attacker gets to deploy the larger force while the 2nd could deploy a small force thus making the defender guess which BG/Entry VL the main effort will come from

It's just to be bad that there is still some bugs in the game and that the old CC5/WAR/TLD data has to be changed to work under LSA.

(in reply to Platoon_Michael)
Post #: 33
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat: Wacht am Rhein >> RE: Attack deployment areas too small Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI