Matrix Games Forums

New screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold Ask Buzz Aldrin!Pike & Shot gets Release Date and Twitch Session!Deal of the Week Espana 1936War in the West coming in December!Space Program Manager will be launching on Steam
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Question about pool pilots' experience

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Question about pool pilots' experience Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Question about pool pilots' experience - 11/23/2008 7:29:47 PM   
Local Yokel

My PBEM against Cantona2 is approaching the end of December 1942, and I have a question about the experience level of pilots in the pool.

With each passing year of the war, the base experience level (BEL) of pilots coming into the Japanese pilot pools declines. Does this reduction in BEL affect all pilots in the pool, or only those added to it in the year to which the reduced BEL applies?

Logic suggests that a pilot added to the pool at the time when the BEL is, say, 75 should retain the benefit of that even though he doesn't get assigned to a unit until the following year when the BEL for his pool has reduced to, say, 60. But if he does get affected by the reduction in the BEL, that would seem to be an argument for assigning him to a depleted unit before the year's end, so he doesn't suffer an experience hit.

Anyone know the answer to this?

Post #: 1
RE: Question about pool pilots' experience - 11/24/2008 4:26:08 AM   
Yamato hugger

All pilots. So yes, in Jan 43 all the guys you have sitting there get dumber.

*pause*

Same to you

(in reply to Local Yokel)
Post #: 2
RE: Question about pool pilots' experience - 11/24/2008 7:28:08 AM   
rominet

Sorry, but i have never see any reduction or increase of any new allied or japanese pilot experience after january 43.
I have not myself confirmation of that but somebody told me that it is also the case later in january 44.
It should only affect the experience of new air units entering the map as reinforcement.
The manual is still wrong as often.

(in reply to Yamato hugger)
Post #: 3
RE: Question about pool pilots' experience - 11/24/2008 1:51:57 PM   
Yakface

Experience of replacement pikots doesn't change throughotu the scenario.  If you are receicing replacements with 75xp in 41 you will be receiving the same in 1945.  The reduction (Japanese) or increas (Allies) is applied to the starting experience of reinforcement air groups.

(in reply to rominet)
Post #: 4
RE: Question about pool pilots' experience - 11/24/2008 2:15:11 PM   
Q-Ball

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yakface

Experience of replacement pikots doesn't change throughotu the scenario.  If you are receicing replacements with 75xp in 41 you will be receiving the same in 1945.  The reduction (Japanese) or increas (Allies) is applied to the starting experience of reinforcement air groups.

Yakface is correct. REPLACEMENT pilots have the same experience the entire game. REINFORCEMENT pilots, the experience level declines with time.

So, emptying your pool in December '42 will not avert any decrease in experience. They'll still be there next year, fully trained and waiting to die for the Emperor.

Apparently, this all changes in AE, where the replacement pool will decline in Experience, mirroring history

(in reply to Yakface)
Post #: 5
RE: Question about pool pilots' experience - 11/24/2008 7:28:55 PM   
Feinder

Also note that, in CHS, the Allied (US) pool pilots don't gain exp by year.  Pool USAAF pilots are avg 45 exp, USMC and USN pilots are avg 55 exp.  This is true at least thru 1943 (my current CHS game is Aug 15, 1943).  Named reinforcment pilots that are pulled into squadrons are of higher exp (usu about 75).  But be advised that the standard pool pilots also suck for US.

-F-

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 6
RE: Question about pool pilots' experience - 11/25/2008 1:47:43 AM   
Local Yokel

Thanks for all your replies.

My mistake - I failed to appreciate the distinction between pilots in the replacement pool and those arriving in reinforcement units.  Still, I'm only too pleased to find that I'm better off than I thought I would be in terms of replacement pilots' experience.

Why should the experience of pilots entering the replacement pool decline as the war progresses?  I can see a justification for this when you get down to distilling pine root juice for your fuel, but before then your training organisation, if unchanged, ought to be capable of turning out the same number of pilots trained to the same standard as before.

Seems to me that the product of an aircrew training organisation ought to be susceptible to the same kind of management choices as govern much of the rest of the production processes, from the Japanese viewpoint at least.  You want more/better trained pilots - you make the necessary investment.  If that means pulling experienced crew off the front line for instruction duty (even more dangerous!), then you accept you'll have fewer squadrons in a combat role.

Progressively reducing the quality of pilots in the replacement pool implies either that someone/something has reduced the efficacy of your training organisation, or that there has been a decline in the innate quality of the trainee aircrew as they come into the training process.  The former ought to reflect the management choices made for the training organisation.  I can't see a good reason for the latter, but I'm open to persuasion one exists.

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 7
RE: Question about pool pilots' experience - 11/25/2008 4:03:34 PM   
anarchyintheuk

The original idea was that Japan was supposed to do its training on the map. Training missions (I don't mean bombing Chinese bases) use supply. That represented the amount of investment that you chose to make in pilot traning. Just another facet of the game that went by the wayside.

(in reply to Local Yokel)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Question about pool pilots' experience Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI