Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Witp AI Strange things

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Witp AI Strange things Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Witp AI Strange things - 11/2/2008 5:24:59 AM   
pad152

After I end or quit(give up) on a witp game (because the AI has fallen apart), I switch sides and look at the AI (bases, TF movements, troop, ship placement, etc.). Doing this you will see some real strange things the AI is doing or not doing.

These are some of the things I see from my last game CHS witp ending early 1943.

Shipping & Shipping routes
I see several TF's trying to sail from Australia going north to within 2 hexes of Rabaul and then east right base Kwajalein on it's way to San Francisco.
Several TF's trying to sail right base Tarawa (level 4 active Japanese air base).
CHS - TF's loaded with fuel sailing to Aden (Aden base already at max fuel).
No TF's sailing between Aden/India and to/from Australia.
No ships based or sailing to/from Seattle & Portland.
No ships or TF's sailing between the west coast and Alaska.
CHS - Damaged Allied ships in Russian ports (no war with Russia).

Parts of land units
By 1943 every AI allied base seems to have nothing but parts of LCU's, even in places where no combat or ship lost have taken place.

Units Stuck no expansion?
(allied) All North Pacific units (LCU's & Air units) are still stuck on the east cost.
Central pacific units are never seen west of Midway/Canton and are still at Pearl Harobr.
Almost all Central Pacific Air units still at Pearl Harbor.
New Zeland units seem to be based at only Central Pacific bases.
Southwest Units stuck in Aden or Karachi.
CHS - tons & tons of air units stuck at United States Base,(many bombers showing supply missions)going no where.
CHS - no air units based at Seattle or Dutch Harbor.
CHS - United States base allows one to create PT boats.

Other

I had several air battles between Japan and Russia when the allied AI tried to sail ships through the sea of Japan, this didn't trigger war with Russian and some damaged allied ships ended up in Russian ports

I hope the AE testers switch sides during testing to see what the AI is or is not doing.

Post #: 1
RE: Witp AI Strange things - 11/2/2008 2:35:28 PM   
Andy Mac

We do

I wasnt involved in CHS but I want aware it ever had a working AI given my experiece over the last year I strongly doubt it ever had one with a new map, units etc etc ?

The AI struggles to cope with wholesale changes

AI problems from a stock game are more valuable as the AI was working for that map

(in reply to pad152)
Post #: 2
RE: Witp AI Strange things - 11/2/2008 3:12:27 PM   
Nomad

Andrew does have a note on his CHS senario page that does state that CHS does not really work well with the AI. From what I remember the Japanese AI will do almost as well as the stock AI, but there are still some problems. The Allied AI has real problems with extra bases and such. Plus the AI probably uses location ID numbers that corespond with the stock senario, and CHS has mixed these up.

< Message edited by Nomad -- 11/2/2008 3:13:07 PM >

(in reply to Andy Mac)
Post #: 3
RE: Witp AI Strange things - 11/2/2008 3:51:53 PM   
m10bob

The AI was never strong in WITP(vanilla), and its' perceived flaws are hard-coded, therefore, they ware passed on to all mods. Some of the mods tried to fix this to some extent, but could never change what is hard-coded.
Worse, the vanilla AI is weakest for an Allied AI.

Some of the things I have read about changes to the AI within AE is addressing some of those problems.

Be patient.

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 4
RE: Witp AI Strange things - 11/2/2008 4:31:31 PM   
jwilkerson

Right, I might even interpret Andrew's CHS AI notes to mean that CHS/AI is not recommended. Given what we've learned over the past year - I would certainly say this is true. So some of pad152 issues are related to the CHS mod - some apply to stock as well as CHS. I also believe the vast bulk of them are addressed one way or the other in AE - mostly by the new scripting process.

AE Project Lead

(in reply to pad152)
Post #: 5
RE: Witp AI Strange things - 11/2/2008 6:20:43 PM   
pad152

quote:

ORIGINAL: jwilkerson

Right, I might even interpret Andrew's CHS AI notes to mean that CHS/AI is not recommended. Given what we've learned over the past year - I would certainly say this is true. So some of pad152 issues are related to the CHS mod - some apply to stock as well as CHS. I also believe the vast bulk of them are addressed one way or the other in AE - mostly by the new scripting process.

Sounds Good!

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Witp AI Strange things Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI