Matrix Games Forums

War in the West gets its first update!Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm version 2.08 is now available!Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual preview
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Axis campaign for a newbie!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Commander - Europe at War Gold >> After Action Reports >> Axis campaign for a newbie! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Axis campaign for a newbie! - 10/29/2008 8:42:55 PM   
GeeBB

I've started playing my fisrt game from 1939 as the Axis (patch 1.06 installed)...here's what has happened...

I tried to follow the historical path, I set up the game with oil on, but didn't realise until later that research was set to radom.
Poland, Denmark, norway, Holland & Denmark fell fairly quickly, and I was on target to defeat the French for June 1940.
I bought research in Air, assuming I needed air superiority for the forthcoming "battle of Britain". All was going well.

However, France was stubborn, and Paris didn't fall until Aug 1940 (so I abandoned Op Sealion) . Also, my subs and fleet were quickly sunk by the British. I changed my focus to the South & East . Yugoslavia took about 3 turns to fall, yet the Italians supported by 1 x German armour unit were making good progress in N. Africa.

By May 1941, the Italians had captured Cairo, and Port Said, and were ready to go looking for oil in Bagdhad. Yet, Greece was still defending resolutley in the mountains. At this time I noticed a glitch in Naval movement in the Med (the system was telling me that certain Axis units adjacent to ports could not load as there was "not a friendly port near"?? (I've posted a message on the supprt folder - I assume its a glitch and nothing I've missed in the rules).

Anyway, I launched Barborrosa in may 1941, but I felt a little underprepared (not enough units and not quite into poistion). I had great success for the first 2 turns, but then hit fierce resistance around Smolensk.
This is the position to date.

My thoughts:
(1) The fluidity of gameplay is good...the oil rule option is great.
(2) The unit movement and combat is fairly simple, which I applaud, yet I think that unit stacking, and combined ground unit attacks would make it more realistic.
(3) Naval transports work well, but I think amphibious landings should not be allowed anywhere in N and W Europe in winter. ie. D-day would never have been laucnched in Winter.
(4) I've found Axis subs to be fairly useless in the N.Atlantic, too easily sunk. It appears you either have to invest everyting into a German Naval campaign, or do nothing, there is no middle/historical ground.
(5) German air power was difficult for me to build up. I couldn't achieve air superiority in the west, but more concerningly, I couldn't in the East!! I had good air research levels, yet the Russian air power (in numbers and quality) appeared ridiculously powerful for 1941.
(6) Russia seem too powerfull in 1941 (I'm going to try the 1941 scenario to see if maybe I didn't have enough German units this time round).

I need to play the game a few times more, but I find it very enjoyable. I think with a few tweaks this game would be very, very good.
Post #: 1
RE: Axis campaign for a newbie! - 5/30/2009 8:40:34 AM   
Anthropoid

quote:

ORIGINAL: GeeBB

I've started playing my fisrt game from 1939 as the Axis (patch 1.06 installed)...here's what has happened...

I tried to follow the historical path, I set up the game with oil on, but didn't realise until later that research was set to radom.
Poland, Denmark, norway, Holland & Denmark fell fairly quickly, and I was on target to defeat the French for June 1940.
I bought research in Air, assuming I needed air superiority for the forthcoming "battle of Britain". All was going well.

However, France was stubborn, and Paris didn't fall until Aug 1940 (so I abandoned Op Sealion) . Also, my subs and fleet were quickly sunk by the British. I changed my focus to the South & East . Yugoslavia took about 3 turns to fall, yet the Italians supported by 1 x German armour unit were making good progress in N. Africa.

By May 1941, the Italians had captured Cairo, and Port Said, and were ready to go looking for oil in Bagdhad. Yet, Greece was still defending resolutley in the mountains. At this time I noticed a glitch in Naval movement in the Med (the system was telling me that certain Axis units adjacent to ports could not load as there was "not a friendly port near"?? (I've posted a message on the supprt folder - I assume its a glitch and nothing I've missed in the rules).

Anyway, I launched Barborrosa in may 1941, but I felt a little underprepared (not enough units and not quite into poistion). I had great success for the first 2 turns, but then hit fierce resistance around Smolensk.
This is the position to date.

My thoughts:
(1) The fluidity of gameplay is good...the oil rule option is great.
(2) The unit movement and combat is fairly simple, which I applaud, yet I think that unit stacking, and combined ground unit attacks would make it more realistic.
(3) Naval transports work well, but I think amphibious landings should not be allowed anywhere in N and W Europe in winter. ie. D-day would never have been laucnched in Winter.
(4) I've found Axis subs to be fairly useless in the N.Atlantic, too easily sunk. It appears you either have to invest everyting into a German Naval campaign, or do nothing, there is no middle/historical ground.
(5) German air power was difficult for me to build up. I couldn't achieve air superiority in the west, but more concerningly, I couldn't in the East!! I had good air research levels, yet the Russian air power (in numbers and quality) appeared ridiculously powerful for 1941.
(6) Russia seem too powerfull in 1941 (I'm going to try the 1941 scenario to see if maybe I didn't have enough German units this time round).

I need to play the game a few times more, but I find it very enjoyable. I think with a few tweaks this game would be very, very good.

(1) I agree with pretty much, (2) maybe, but I think the engine works pretty well as is and it is well balanced for the current nonstacking system, (3) yes agree, (4) also agree, but the key I think is to position them so they are sufficiently far from bases that they are unlikely to be hit, (5) don't agree here . . . well at least with a game in which I had max and minor Axis advantage. With max it was a breeze to gain air superioty and even with minor, getting one upgrade on my fighters and the Brits were toast, (6) not sure, haven't played 1941. Played on game all the way through to 1943 on max Axis advantage but it got to be too easy. Played on on minor Axis advantage and it was too hard. Retrying on moderate

The most annoying thing, and I agree very much: the ports not working sometimes. Not quite a game breaker, but pretty close. How can you possibly play well if the rule about how naval transport doesn't always work?

The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ328&feature=autoplay&list=AL94UKMTqg-9CocLGbd6tpbuQRxyF4FGNr&playnext=3

(in reply to GeeBB)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Commander - Europe at War Gold >> After Action Reports >> Axis campaign for a newbie! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI