Matrix Games Forums

New Screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations WOTYCommand: Modern Air/Naval Operations WOTY is now available!Frontline : The Longest Day Announced and in Beta!Command gets Wargame of the Year EditionDeal of the Week: Pandora SeriesPandora: Eclipse of Nashira is now availableDistant Worlds Gets another updateHell is Approaching Deal of the Week Battle Academy
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Lame question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Classic (Free) Games] >> War In Russia: The Matrix Edition >> Lame question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Lame question - 10/17/2008 9:47:36 PM   
saltandgin

Now, I'm no strategy game expert, the deepest I ever had was the first panzer general.
War in russia looks a good (and cheap) way to get into the genre.

I was just wandering if there was a manual or guide to help beginners? Thanks guys.
Post #: 1
RE: Lame question - 10/19/2008 9:43:17 PM   
saltandgin

Having found the manual, I can see why, I don't have ten straight forward tips on getting ahead

(in reply to saltandgin)
Post #: 2
RE: Lame question - 10/20/2008 1:30:05 PM   
Rasputitsa

This game and the others by the same author, are vintage software and go back to the 1980's and early 90's. Some of the earlier versions are from a time when the use of a mouse was new technology, so the game interface is old. But, for games of this age to still be available and in use, it has to be very good. You will either love it, or hate it. This forum is the place to see other people's experience and contains some useful info. There are strategy tips and newbie advice that have appeared here. If you can work your way through the manual, to begin with, unfortunately there is no easy quick start and if you are still interested, you will find people here who can discuss strategy. The game is quirky and sometimes frustrating, but if you are interested in the historical subject and start to understand how it works, you will find a very good game. What you have is a game that is providing a simulation of the largest war in history, recording every tank, aircraft and squad of troops throughout training, production, movement, combat and replacement, controlled through historically accurate commanders, armies, corps and divisions (press ALT/R in the game and you will find a TXT file appear in the game folder on your hard drive, that you can print, showing what you have in your forces [looks like GE050743, e.g. German side for 5th July 1943]). No commander has had this much force before, or since. There are other people just starting and they can compare notes, there are others who are expert and can give advice.

Mainly, have fun, when you get into the guts of it you will find an interesting game.

(in reply to saltandgin)
Post #: 3
RE: Lame question - 10/21/2008 4:03:37 PM   
Chris H

OK, like most games it has it's little quirks but once you know what they are you can overcome them.

The manual does have some good tips in the back, so please read them.

You the Orders Phase / Player Checklist (page 11 of the manual)
1. Check for reinforcements.
2. Upgrade units with new equipment. Check pools.
3. Check the supply level of your units (Airlift or Special Supply).
4. Change HQ control of any units that may be necessary.
5. Change HQ Replacement Level if necessary.
6. Place HQs under computer control — set objective if necessary. (I never use this)
7. Perform air missions.
8. Move units.
9. Plot units.

Play the Germans first, its easier when learning the game (at least for the first year of game time).
Transferring units into a Korp/Army/HQ prevents it from moving that turn. Move first then transfer. You can never plot the turn a unit is transferred to it.
Never move an HQ until you have perform your air missions.
Plotting is the only way to take/attack an enemy controlled hex, occupied or unoccuppied. (F9 to vew).
Keep an eye on your supply levels. Out running them is bad. Out running them in winter is disasterous.
The first winter is bad for the Germans. Try to form a front on or as near as possible to raillines. Cities are best of course.
Use the special supply rule and air lift. It can make a big difference.
Read the Shatter Rule on page 18.

Last of all, just play and enjoy. If you do something stupid you could alway reload the turn.

(in reply to saltandgin)
Post #: 4
RE: Lame question - 11/1/2008 3:45:58 PM   
Rasputitsa

I have been going through my old files and have found some of the earlier notes and forum inputs on WIR. Some of it was written before the game reached ver. 3.3, so use with care. The authors of some of the info are noted in their work, but many people have contributed to mods and notes.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to saltandgin)
Post #: 5
RE: Lame question - 11/1/2008 3:47:47 PM   
Rasputitsa

More

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 6
RE: Lame question - 11/1/2008 3:48:47 PM   
Rasputitsa

and more

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 7
RE: Lame question - 11/1/2008 3:49:40 PM   
Rasputitsa

and more

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 8
RE: Lame question - 11/1/2008 3:50:29 PM   
Rasputitsa

and more

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 9
RE: Lame question - 11/1/2008 3:54:29 PM   
Rasputitsa

Here is a Basic checklist I use whilst preparing a move, to ensure that things are done in the right order. I am sure that others can add to it, with other ideas.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 10
RE: Lame question - 1/10/2012 8:59:05 PM   
sanderz

thought i'd bump this as there is lots of usefull info for new players

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 11
RE: Lame question - 1/10/2012 10:13:53 PM   
Rasputitsa

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanderz
thought i'd bump this as there is lots of usefull info for new players

Thanks, I was going to post it again, but you beat me to it.

"We have to go from where we are, not from where we would like to be" - me

(in reply to sanderz)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Classic (Free) Games] >> War In Russia: The Matrix Edition >> Lame question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI