Matrix Games Forums

Pandora: Eclipse of Nashira gets release dateCommunity impressions of To End All WarsAgeod's To End All Wars is now availableTo End All Wars is now available!Deal of the Week: Field of GloryTo End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!Ageod's To End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!To End All Wars: Artillery Battle Academy 2: Eastern Front - End of Early Access Space Program Manager unveils its multiplayer modes
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Harpoon

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Harpoon 3 - Advanced Naval Warfare >> Harpoon Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Harpoon - 10/4/2008 10:22:52 AM   
hermanhum

A new beta patch has been announced in the HarpGamer IRC chat channel:

quote:

Session Start (Herman:#harpgamer): Fri Oct 03 16:26:06 2008
*** Initial topic: "HCE: Bringing you war from across the globe"
*** #harpgamer: Herman @TonyEafk @CV32 Brains Rufford
*** #harpgamer was created on Mon Jul 28 12:35:44 2008.
Rufford: (Link: http://computerharpoon.com/public/Harpoon3ANWPublicBeta3947.zip
Rufford: Herman, that's the beta that will be given to everyone that would like to test it.

It is publicly available to everyone who wants it, regardless of registration, membership, s/n, or even ownership of the game.  That's a positive sign. 

Home of the PlayersDB
- #1 Choice of the Harpoon community
Post #: 1
Problem - 10/4/2008 12:09:52 PM   
hermanhum

quote:

ORIGINAL:  hermanhum

It is publicly available to everyone who wants it, regardless of registration, membership, s/n, or even ownership of the game.  That's a positive sign. 

Unfortunately, this may be the only positive thing about this release because it still blows up the same way 3.9.4.6 did!

quote:

ORIGINAL:  hermanhum

Steps to replicate:

1. Start server with 394.6
2. Log onto server with 394.6
3. Attempt to start Session with 394.6
4. CTD

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=1925603

Neither of these problems even rise to the glorious level of Alpha-testing, much less Beta-testing.  Obviously, they did not even make the, "Turn-On-the-Power-to-See-If-It-Blows-Up"-level of testing.

To pre-empt the usual stupidity from AGSI's favourite fanboi within their beta test group, this bug is not because the PlayersDB and associated scenarios were not designed to his own personal standards, either.  The official ANWDb and ODb from AGSI blow up the game just fine, too.

Home of the PlayersDB

(in reply to hermanhum)
Post #: 2
RE: Problem - 10/4/2008 2:23:43 PM   
Shemar

quote:

To pre-empt the usual stupidity from AGSI's favourite fanboi within their beta test group, this bug is not because the PlayersDB and associated scenarios were not designed to his own personal standards, either. The official ANWDb and ODb from AGSI blow up the game just fine, too.

Fist of all, this is an official complaint against Herman Hum for personal attacks and language that clearly violates the code of conduct. Apparently now anyone that does not agree with Herman, or even does not like how Herman chooses to play the game is stupid.

Second, one might see the failure to consider that the the game does not crash in other test systems and just assuming that it was never even tested a sign of lack of intellect. And since it is my turn to pre-empt comments that lack intelligence, I am not claiming that it was or it was not tested of how or why, I am just saying that assuming one scenario while other highly probable scenarios exist is what shows the lack of intellect.

And of course this thread got personal again and it will be locked again, and I will not apologise for that as anyone with the capability to read can see who turns technical discussions into personal ones.

Edit: Added the offending quote before anyone has a chance to 'amend' it,

< Message edited by Shemar -- 10/4/2008 2:29:56 PM >

(in reply to hermanhum)
Post #: 3
Problem - 10/4/2008 2:28:54 PM   
hermanhum

Ah, the usual, "I couldn't be bothered to test it, but I know that it must be the wrong explanation..."

It's no wonder the game is in the sorry shape it is with apologists lurking at every corner instead of actually doing any testing. 

Home of the PlayersDB

(in reply to Shemar)
Post #: 4
RE: Problem - 10/4/2008 2:39:30 PM   
Shemar

a. Anyone who can read english can see that I neither said "it must be wrong", nor did I apologise about anything (why should I, I am not AGSI).

b. I have no interest in multiplayer so I would never waste my time testing it.

c. I would not even be posting in this thread (given that the thread is supposed to be about beta testing and I have not done any lately) if it was not for the clear personal attack against me. In fact I have not even posted for months. The only reason I posted in the first place was to let the non-PdB designers know that there are people that do not agree with the "don't fix the errors to stay compatible with the past" policiy and I did not want them to adopt it as that would completely ruin the game for me. But apparently anyone that does not agree with how god Herman dictates the game must be played must be stupid.

< Message edited by Shemar -- 10/4/2008 2:41:16 PM >

(in reply to hermanhum)
Post #: 5
Problem - 10/4/2008 3:04:48 PM   
hermanhum

And the usual whining about how it doesn't crash other systems.  Have you even bothered to start it up to find out if it crashes or not?  You don't need to have any interest in playing MP.  You won't even get that far.  You'll log in, enter the name of a session, and...

... end up staring at the desktop.

Of course, you'd already know this if you had bothered to even try testing instead of simply ranting.

Home of the PlayersDB

(in reply to Shemar)
Post #: 6
RE: Problem - 10/4/2008 3:24:28 PM   
Shemar

And once again, anyone with basic comprehension skills can see I never said "it doesn't crash other systems".

But for the impaired, what I said is "one should not assume it does crash other systems", with the clear notation that I have not, nor do I intend to test it, nor do I have any information about how or if AGSI tested it, as it is out of my sphere of interest, and it was just the act of assumption that I was commenting on. Because to me making assumptions without considering all probable scenarios is self evidently wrong, regardless of whether the assumption turns out to be true or not in the end.

Which is just a coincidental remark anyway, one I would not have bothered to make under normal circumstances. But since I posted anyway, in order to voice my formal complaint against personal attacks and violation of the rules of conduct, I decided to throw that self evident truth in.

So, so far what we have in this thread is regarding me is:
a. A personal attack out of the blue, on a thread I had not even posted, on a subject that Herman should know I have zero interest in.
b. Two responses 'quoting' me as saying things anyone with the bare minimum of intellect can clearly see I did not say (and of course avoiding the issue of the unprovoked personal attack against me).
I wonder if Herman has any kind of response that does not involve manufactured quotes.

< Message edited by Shemar -- 10/4/2008 3:33:36 PM >

(in reply to hermanhum)
Post #: 7
RE: Problem - 10/4/2008 3:39:07 PM   
Frans

quote:

To pre-empt the usual stupidity from AGSI's favourite fanboi within their beta test group, this bug is not because the PlayersDB and associated scenarios were not designed to his own personal standards, either. The official ANWDb and ODb from AGSI blow up the game just fine, too.

I don't even see your name in that so how do you know it is even referring to you?

(in reply to Shemar)
Post #: 8
Problem - 10/4/2008 3:45:15 PM   
hermanhum

quote:

ORIGINAL: Taitennek

quote:

I don't even see your name in that so how do you know it is even referring to you?

Bingo!

A comment that is so 'personal' that it even fails to mention a name. It certainly takes a certain egomaniacal characteristic to believe that every comment is about 'him'.

If you want to claim the position of Favourite Fanboi, I think that there are several who would be well positioned to dispute your claim. However, that is certainly your prerogative.

Such characteristics must go hand-in-hand with the egocentric belief that bugs are only real if they happen to happen to 'him'.

So, found time to actually find out if the bug is a bug or not, yet?

Home of the PlayersDB

(in reply to Frans)
Post #: 9
RE: Problem - 10/4/2008 4:07:43 PM   
Shemar

Hahaha! I was so expecting that. Well Herman, things are simple. Deny that this comments is about me and I will withdraw my complaint. Actually seeing you deny it would give me more pleasure. To be clear, I expect a statement clearly and without a doubt claiming that the comment was referring to somebody other than me. Oh and if you actually find any guts, why don't you tell us who the comment refers to? Unless of course you would rather hide and do not have the conviction to clarify and stand by your comments.

Edit: One more thing that you seem unable to grasp:

quote:

Such characteristics must go hand-in-hand with the egocentric belief that bugs are only real if they happen to happen to 'him'.

I am not AGSI, I don't have to care if bugs are 'real' or not. All I care about is if the bugs affect me.

There is a great number of 'bugs' that have to do with multi player or with trying to get scenarios or saved games from older versions fo the game to work, or bugs that will never occur in the normal play of the game but only if somebody goes looking for them and trying to make the game crash, or bugs that only affect a certain database I don't use. None of these bugs affect me personally. That does not mean I don't think they are real. It just means I don't care about them.

I am not sure why you have this obsession that my way of looking at the game as a player (that plays a certain way and only cares about specific aspects of the game) has any kind of relation or impact on how AGSI deals with things, but the more you keep thinkig that way the more incapable you will be in understanding my point of view.

< Message edited by Shemar -- 10/4/2008 4:20:51 PM >

(in reply to hermanhum)
Post #: 10
Problem - 10/4/2008 4:18:30 PM   
hermanhum

Sure it is about you.  It's always about you, and only you.  You are the most important individual in the entire Harpoon universe.  The Harpoon world revolves around you.  All hail.

Unfortunately, there are at least 3 others who fit the bill the same as you.  However, to assuage your ego, I'll agree to call you the Favourite Fanboi (at least until the others show up...)

So, FF, you checked out latest crash, yet?  It would be great if you could live up to your newly found status and actually test for a simple bug like this.  We couldn't dare call it a bug without your cooperation.

Home of the PlayersDB

(in reply to Shemar)
Post #: 11
RE: Problem - 10/4/2008 4:22:16 PM   
Shemar

Heh, as expected avoiding the point and hiding. Let me make it clear then Herman. Why don't you just tell us who you were referring to?

Do you think you are capable of a straight answer?

If the clear and unprovoked personal attack was not addressed at me, then who was it addressed at?

< Message edited by Shemar -- 10/4/2008 4:24:40 PM >

(in reply to hermanhum)
Post #: 12
Problem - 10/4/2008 4:27:30 PM   
hermanhum

Yeah, everyone is soooo in fear of you that they would have to avoid the point. 

Okay, Favourite Fanboi, does the CTD bug exist in your universe or not? 

Your admiring fans want to know....

Home of the PlayersDB

(in reply to Shemar)
Post #: 13
RE: Problem - 10/4/2008 4:33:21 PM   
Shemar

Yet once more you do avoid the point and try to create a whole subject that does not even exist. But unlike you I do not avoid subjects and I have clear and straight answers.

I do not know if the bug exists or not and I do not intend to find out, as I really don't care. I never claimed that the bug either exists or does not exist (again, basic language skills would be a prerequisite to get that). The whole argument of whether the bug exists or not was never an issue except in your own mind.

Now how about a straight answer from you:

quote:

To pre-empt the usual stupidity from AGSI's favourite fanboi within their beta test group, this bug is not because the PlayersDB and associated scenarios were not designed to his own personal standards, either.  The official ANWDb and ODb from AGSI blow up the game just fine, too.

Name the person this quote refers to. It is your exact quote, so why don't you man up ad own up to it?

(in reply to hermanhum)
Post #: 14
Problem - 10/4/2008 4:38:25 PM   
hermanhum

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shemar

Now how about a straight answer from you:

quote:

Name the person this quote refers to. It is your exact quote, so why don't you man up ad own up to it?

You are certainly free to exercise your prerogative and claim the title for yourself. No one cares if you are favourite fanboi or not. (Well, except for yourself.)

Just because the shoe may fit you, doesn't mean that there aren't 4 other pairs of size 10 feet, either. However, it certainly is interesting to note how you think that everyone can only talk about Harpoon when it pertains to you and how bugs are only bugs if they affect you.

Home of the PlayersDB

(in reply to Shemar)
Post #: 15
RE: Problem - 10/4/2008 4:43:21 PM   
Kip

Ralf is right. Let's find bugs and fix them, not hurl insults at each other. We all want the same thing in the end--the best possible Harpoon simulation. Let's remember that.
Post #: 16
RE: Problem - 10/4/2008 4:44:07 PM   
Shemar

In other words you refuse to name the person your comments refer to. As expected.

To the rest of the posters: As I said I will not apologise for this thread turning personal, as I am not the one responsible for that, nor will I stand down, unless Herman clearly states the comment was not addresed to me.

< Message edited by Shemar -- 10/4/2008 4:47:28 PM >

(in reply to hermanhum)
Post #: 17
Problem - 10/4/2008 4:47:26 PM   
hermanhum

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kip

Ralf is right. Let's find bugs and fix them, not hurl insults at each other. We all want the same thing in the end--the best possible Harpoon simulation. Let's remember that.

Exactly. However, Favourite Fanboi insists on crowning himself so we will have to endure the spectacle awhile longer. It would be so simple if he would just actually test for the CTD bug in this thread.

It really is simple:

1. Start up Server
2. Log onto Server
3. Try to start Session
4. CTD

Instead of testing, Favourite Fanboi would rather demand that everyone recognize his own self-declared importance.

Home of the PlayersDB

(in reply to Kip)
Post #: 18
Problem - 10/4/2008 4:49:34 PM   
hermanhum

quote:

In other words you refuse to name the person your comments refer to. As expected.

To the rest of the posters: As I said I will not apologise for this thread turning personal, as I am not the one responsible for that, nor will I stand down, unless Herman clearly states the comment was not addresed to me.

Aha! Another self-promotion! Now you must be on the Matrix forum staff, too!

Congratulations on your new title and position so that you can make demands from other forumites.

Home of the PlayersDB

(in reply to Shemar)
Post #: 19
RE: Problem - 10/4/2008 4:51:49 PM   
Shemar

Herman the issue never was whether your bug exists or not (and I challenge you to produce an actual non manufactured or taken out of context quote from me ever saying the bug does not exist). Get over yourself.

The issue is your personal attack against me in a thread I was not even involved in, regarding a subject I could not care less about.

(in reply to hermanhum)
Post #: 20
RE: Problem - 10/4/2008 4:53:57 PM   
Shemar

quote:

ORIGINAL: hermanhum

quote:

Aha! Another self-promotion! Now you must be on the Matrix forum staff, too!

Congratulations on your new title and position so that you can make demands from other forumites.

What demands would those be? L-e-a-r-n t-o r-e-a-d. Slow enough for you?

There is no demand. Simply an explanation. A personal attack was directed against me. If I was 'wrong' and the prrsonal attack was not directed against me, I will, of course, give the subject up. Where is the demand?

< Message edited by Shemar -- 10/4/2008 4:55:28 PM >

(in reply to hermanhum)
Post #: 21
Problem - 10/4/2008 4:54:46 PM   
hermanhum

You can continue to imagine as you like or not like.  If you think it refers to you, then it refers to you.  If you don't, then it doesn't.  What you think is immaterial to everyone.  Or, hasn't that gotten through to you, yet?

This thread is about bug testing and bug reporting.  Specifically, a CTD when when you run the MP server.  If this has no interest to you, then leave and let those folks who actually test, do the testing.

Home of the PlayersDB

(in reply to Shemar)
Post #: 22
RE: Problem - 10/4/2008 4:58:34 PM   
Shemar

quote:

ORIGINAL: hermanhum

You can continue to imagine as you like or not like.  If you think it refers to you, then it refers to you.  If you don't, then it doesn't.  What you think is immaterial to everyone.  Or, hasn't that gotten through to you, yet?

You wrote it, so why don't you just explain to us what you meant?

quote:

This thread is about bug testing and bug reporting.  Specifically, a CTD when when you run the MP server.  If this has no interest to you, then leave and let those folks who actually test, do the testing.

Maybe you should have thought of that before involving me through a personal attack?

Fortunately for you I have to go for a while, so I am sure you will get your last comment before the thread gets locked. I am sure that final comment will not involve any owning up to what you said or who you are referring to when you make perosnal attacks.

(in reply to hermanhum)
Post #: 23
Problem - 10/4/2008 5:01:36 PM   
hermanhum

And you now call yourself Staff and have a right to make demands of other forumites, eh?

If you want to cover yourself with the comment, that's your prerogative.  If you want to launch personal attacks, that's your prerogative, too.

What you imagine or fantasize about is irrelevant.  Just like your interpretation of what construes a bug.

So, been able to replicate the CTD, yet?

Home of the PlayersDB

(in reply to Shemar)
Post #: 24
RE: 3.9.4.6 Beta Testing - 10/4/2008 5:41:26 PM   
rsharp@advancedgamin

Don't really need to explain why this is being locked down do I?

Keep it from getting personal and maybe find another place to go back and forth.

Russell
Advanced Gaming Systems
Home of Computer Harpoon
Post #: 25
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Harpoon 3 - Advanced Naval Warfare >> Harpoon Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI