JTCS Tactical AI

John Tiller's Campaign Series exemplifies tactical war-gaming at its finest by bringing you the entire collection of TalonSoft's award-winning campaign series. Containing TalonSoft's West Front, East Front, and Rising Sun platoon-level combat series, as well as all of the official add-ons and expansion packs, the Matrix Edition allows players to dictate the events of World War II from the tumultuous beginning to its climatic conclusion. We are working together with original programmer John Tiller to bring you this updated edition.

Moderators: Jason Petho, Peter Fisla, asiaticus, dogovich

umbro

JTCS Tactical AI

Post by umbro »

I recently jumped back on to the CS bandwagon with JTCS and started refurbishing some old scenarios. While testing these I was surprised to find that the AI does not seem to have been touched at all since the old days. I was further surprised to find the number of players that regularly play against the AI. So to provide a better game for these folks in the future I was thinking that we could run a thread that would note sub-optimal AI play that could be easily fixed.

Some examples might be:

1. Never move leaders without being stacked with a combat unit.
2. Never leave leaders unstacked (if, say, their accompanying units is destroyed).
3. Never leave HQs in LOS.
4. Do not move HQs within the command range of their subordinate units unless the enemy gets LOS.
5. Never assault a hex that has undisrupted units in it.
6. Do not shoot at units that you cannot damage and cannot damage you if there are other targets in range.
7. Never stack more than 12SPs in a hex.

Some counter-examples (primarily ones that would be hard to fix)

1. Play more like Guderian would.
2. Use combined arms effectively.

umbro
kool_kat

RE: JTCS Tactical AI

Post by kool_kat »

Also the AI tends to exhaust all air missions in the early stages of the game - regardless of appropriate ground targets.

Case in point: I recently played a RS scenario in which the AI had 15 air missions. Sure enough; starting on turn #1, the AI sent 3-5 air missions my way each turn - hitting any unit (combat, non-combat) in clear terrain. By turn #5, AI air mission capability was exhausted... and the scenario had 21 turns. Rest of the game, I could operate with no fear of a "hit" from the sky.

Regards, - Mike

"You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else." - Albert Einstein
Warren

Post by Warren »

ORIGINAL: umbro

I recently jumped back on to the CS bandwagon with JTCS and started refurbishing some old scenarios. While testing these I was surprised to find that the AI does not seem to have been touched at all since the old days. I was further surprised to find the number of players that regularly play against the AI. So to provide a better game for these folks in the future I was thinking that we could run a thread that would note sub-optimal AI play that could be easily fixed.

Some examples might be:

1. Never move leaders without being stacked with a combat unit.
2. Never leave leaders unstacked (if, say, their accompanying units is destroyed).
3. Never leave HQs in LOS.
4. Do not move HQs within the command range of their subordinate units unless the enemy gets LOS.
5. Never assault a hex that has undisrupted units in it.
6. Do not shoot at units that you cannot damage and cannot damage you if there are other targets in range.
7. Never stack more than 12SPs in a hex.

Some counter-examples (primarily ones that would be hard to fix)

1. Play more like Guderian would.
2. Use combined arms effectively.

umbro

It seems at this point only the PBEM crowd is being catered to, or they are not capable of fixing it. [:(]
e_barkmann

Post by e_barkmann »

It seems at this point only the PBEM crowd is being catered to,

and considering the PBEM crowd kept the game alive long after many others abandoned it, I think that's fair enough.

Any anyway, if you read the forums you would know that Jason has stated that 'Hal' will be looked at in the future.

cheers.
Scourge of War multiplayer group

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/sowwaterloo
kool_kat

Post by kool_kat »

ORIGINAL: Warren

It seems at this point only the PBEM crowd is being catered to, or they are not capable of fixing it. [:(]

CS has always been at its best with human vs. human play. I believe that this "mode" is the most challenging, exciting and nerve racking CS! [:)]

The original TalonSoft folks; over 10 years ago, were well aware of the limited AI capabilities. Quotes from the original EF Playtester Notes:

"The A/I will sometimes stack up in Objective and fortification hexes to the exclusion of maintaining a good line around it..."

"When the A/I is defending it will tend to counterattack Objective hexes you control."

"The A/I will frequently expend Smoke and Air Attacks early in a scenario..."

"It [A/I] has been known to move HQ's too far forward..."

So; in order to have a more satisfying CS experience, either PBeM (the best way IMHO) or play with the A/I as defender. The A/I tends to make fewer stupid mistakes as defender, but it is still not brilliant.

I tend to get rather bored playing the A/I, so the majority of my CS games are PBeM.

Regards, - Mike

"You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else." - Albert Einstein
countblue

Post by countblue »

I do my own scenarios most of them long and on big maps.
I usually give the AI at minimum twice the quantity of troops I have and sometimes more.
This gives HAL a bit of a chance.
1.04 seems also to improve the overall performance of HAL slightly.

CB

umbro

Post by umbro »

Mike:

Personally I never played against the AI as it was so flawed. I also have issues with PBEM as a venue. IMHO the only way to play CS is H2H online, but I am strange that way.

However, Jason did an informal poll on the site and ~50 responses showed that folks play against the AI 80% of the time, 20% PBEM and only 1% H2H online.

By generating this thread I was hoping to create an easy fix list that would make the AI less brain-dead without having to go to the expense of a complete reconstruction.

Jonathan
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

HAL has a tendancy to try to recapture the first Victory Location taken regardless of the overall situation, especially in DCG play.

Jason Petho
Borst50

Post by Borst50 »

Really??? Hmm...I always found that HAL seemed to try to recapture the HIGHEST VP hex regardless of the tactical situation...not the first....interesting.

Return to “John Tiller's Campaign Series”