A few tactical notes...

Commander – Napoleon at War is the second in a series of high level turn based strategy games. It spans the Napoleonic Wars from 1805 to 1815, allowing players to control France or the Coalitions against it through the entire period or in shorter scenarios. Easy to learn, with fun and addictive gameplay, this is a Napoleonic wargame in the style of the old "Panzer General".
Erik Rutins

A few tactical notes...

Post by Erik Rutins »

These are from the readme included in the release, just wanted to make sure that everyone notices them:

9/29/2008 v1.00 – Initial Release

Rules Addendum:

1. In addition to directly attacking enemy units, Cavalry and Artillery are able to support other attacking and defending friendly units in combat. Cavalry must be adjacent to the Defender’s hex in a combat to lend support. Artillery must be within two hexes of the Defender’s hex in a combat to lend support. A combat can only be supported by one Artillery and one Cavalry unit. These units support combat with the following bonuses at their base level:
a. Horse Artillery: 8%
b. Foot Artillery: 13%
c. Siege Artillery: 4%
d. Light Cavalry: 16%
e. Heavy Cavalry: 17%

2. When the player holds the mouse over an enemy unit to initiate a combat, a summary of combat bonuses and penalties for both sides is displayed in the center of the bottom interface bar, above the expected losses caused. These bonuses are as follows, from top to bottom:
a. Attack Across River Penalty
b. Terrain Attack Penalty
c. Terrain Cavalry Penalty
d. Weather Penalty
e. Support Bonus (Cavalry + Artillery)

Attachments
CNAWModifiersSmall.jpg
CNAWModifiersSmall.jpg (6.42 KiB) Viewed 456 times
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Ola Berli

RE: A few tactical notes...

Post by Ola Berli »

Erik, excellent rules! Make the Nappy feel better.
War does not determine who is right - only who is left.
David25

Post by David25 »

What is the range of hexes for the leadership rating? Or does the leader only benefit the unit he is attached to?
Joe Steel

Post by Joe Steel »

4 for generals and 3 for the admirals
Symple

Post by Symple »

Nice, I know I am late, but very informative
Agathosdaimon

Post by Agathosdaimon »

its a good game in its own unique way, its abstract to make napoleon wars play like strategic command ww2 european theater but it plays out okay and can have some historical results
Symple

Post by Symple »

I do agree. It is fun to play and the scenarios can be historical.
Uncle_Joe

Post by Uncle_Joe »

I've actually 'rediscovered' this game and I'm having a blast playing it PBEM with a friend. I took bits and pieces of other people's mods and created my own and wow, the game system for this is really compelling.

We've been fighting back and forth battles all over Europe for the better part of the first few years of the game. I think we're in late 1807 now and it's nowhere near decided (although I think I broke the back of the French in the South and I'm moving a Russia army of about 8 corps to retake Venice and hopefully push back into Italy. In the North, Prussia is pushed back all the way to Konigsberg but it holding out there. In Portugal, Britain and Spain/France are also somewhat stalemated with neither side having the firepower to actually drive the other back. I'm losing ground with my Brits but they are stalling a LOT of French and Spanish corps waaaaay of in the West so I guess they are doing their job. ;)

Anyways, I really wish this game was still supported. It really just needed a few tweaks and adjustments and it could be a fantastic introductory level game.
Zecke

Post by Zecke »

ERIK; if time and money we want this battles if possible and art.

-WATERLOO I
-WATERLOO II.HILL
-BLADENSBURG
-PLANCENOIT...there is more; but sure you dont have time; if time i will edit and posted more.
Epsilon Eridani

Agathosdaimon

Post by Agathosdaimon »

unfortunately i dont think they will ever be able to add anything new to the game as i raised this with them before and the word is that the developer disappeared and took the source code or whatever with them - something like that,.... (though i found this all odd as the Commander Great War game still seems alive and kicking and isnt it the same engine - i dont see why a new redone version of Commander Napoleon at War couldnt be done)

Return to “Commander - Napoleon at War”