Civ IV Colonization

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

JudgeDredd

Civ IV Colonization

Post by JudgeDredd »

Should've been released in the States yesterday...anyone get it? I'd be interested to know what you think. It's released here on Friday hopefully.

I was looking forward to it....that and Hells Highway which is due out the beginning of next month
Alba gu' brath
Grell

RE: Civ IV Colonization

Post by Grell »

I am so out of the loop on computer games it's not funny. I though it was coming out in 6 months.

Regards,

Greg
Krasny

Post by Krasny »

According to Play, it's been released.

Amazon says 26.9.08.

JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

US  = 22/09/2008
EUR = 26/09/2008

AFAIK
Alba gu' brath
Greybriar

Post by Greybriar »

I phoned the closest Circuit City store to me yesterday and they informed me it would be in stock tomorrow (Wednesday, September 24th).
This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee
sol_invictus

Post by sol_invictus »

I plan to run down the street to BestBuy early this afternoon and grab it.
"The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero
Phatguy

Post by Phatguy »

Since I cant go traipsing off to stores till my doc gives me an ok to drive, I have to wait for a weekend or order online.... did the online thingie..hope it get here before the weekend
My life is complete. 1000 Matrix posts.....
Hertston

Post by Hertston »

Dunno about this one. I lost weeks to the original (much more fun than Civ), but somehow I don't think going back will be anywhere near as good. A bit like 'Pirates!'.
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

I loved the original and actually "stumbled" on Civilisation because I thought it was a remake of Colonisation.

I think Hertston is probably right...I've had the "trip down memory lane" before and it didn't turn out as I had hoped. Plus I'm a bit dubious aboyt it being the Civilisation engine...is it going to be that different??

That said, I'll probably get it because it IS Colonisation [:D]
Alba gu' brath
PunkReaper

Post by PunkReaper »

The heart will definately rule the head with this one. I'll be there on Friday, just hope it doesn't disappoint.
PunkReaper

Post by PunkReaper »

Just noticed that Commander: Napoleon at War from Slitherine is in the shops as well this month.....kids are going to go hungry again
sabre1

Post by sabre1 »

PK, Matrix is showing the new  Napoleon at War from Slitherine in their catalog lineup. 
Combat Command Matrix Edition Company, The Forgotten Few
sabre1

Post by sabre1 »

Errr, I meant PR. [:)]
Combat Command Matrix Edition Company, The Forgotten Few
105mm Howitzer

Post by 105mm Howitzer »

In their preview of the game, PC Gamer rated it enthusisticaly. Apparently, Fireaxis have been getting a lot of comments about a Civ-related game covering the colonization of the Americas. I'm still gonna wait out on this one, as the prices are sky-high upon release, but bound to come down by Christmas.
"Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum" - Publius Renatus, 390 A.D.
Phatguy

Post by Phatguy »

ORIGINAL: 105mm Howitzer

In their preview of the game, PC Gamer rated it enthusisticaly. Apparently, Fireaxis have been getting a lot of comments about a Civ-related game covering the colonization of the Americas. I'm still gonna wait out on this one, as the prices are sky-high upon release, but bound to come down by Christmas.

Well, you really cant say its sky high at 30 bucks....
My life is complete. 1000 Matrix posts.....
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

£17.99 from Play.com...can't be bad
Alba gu' brath
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

Unfortunately my fears are coming to fruition...

From a post over at The Wargamer...I hope they don't mind me quoting them.
It hit the streets yesterday. I, of course, ran out and got it. Although its got that Sid "just one more turn" addictive quality, I'm still sorry to say that I'm disappointed. It feels like a mod of Civ IV and not a "remake" of the classic colonization game. The $29.99 price tag is a good hint that this is little more than a Civ IV expansion. Although it incorporates concepts of the the classic title, it plays almost exactly like standard Civ IV. In fact, I don't think the old Colonization is even mentioned anywhere in the 72 page manual. But of course, Civ IV is printed all over the place.

If you like Civ IV, you'll still like this. But if you're looking for the magic that was the classic colonization, sorry...you'll be disappointed as I was.
Alba gu' brath
Panzeh

Post by Panzeh »

I'm not sure where the Wargamer is coming from here.  A more cogent criticism would be that it's too much like the old Col to be worth the money, because about 80% of the game is a pure remake.

It has a lot of little changes, but most of the changes seem to come in the form of making transparent game mechanics for things that were not shown in the old col, for example the education system and the founding fathers system.

I don't get what the hell they're talking about, though.  I have the game and could be more specific if you'd like.
Barthheart

Post by Barthheart »

ORIGINAL: Panzeh

I'm not sure where the Wargamer is coming from here.  A more cogent criticism would be that it's too much like the old Col to be worth the money, because about 80% of the game is a pure remake.

It has a lot of little changes, but most of the changes seem to come in the form of making transparent game mechanics for things that were not shown in the old col, for example the education system and the founding fathers system.

I don't get what the hell they're talking about, though.  I have the game and could be more specific if you'd like.

Yes please do give us your opinion, the more the better. Very interested in this game.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

ORIGINAL: Panzeh

God...I wished I hadn't quoted his post now.

It wasn't a "wargamer" view, nor was it anything to do with The Wargamer. It was one persons insight into it. He's bought it and played it (for however long I have no idea) and he said exactly what I quoted above. It's his own personal view. He is entitled it.

As for my view, I do not have it yet, but as I already mentioned above, it looks very much like Civilisation IV...nevermind the fact it's ptinted all over it...so he probably has a point...it probably is more like an expansion to Civ IV. Whether Sid and his team meant it like that I don't know...all I know is when I looked at the screenshots, I thought Civ IV...not Colonization....but I was still hopeful of a remake of the original.

I'll wait and see is my finding.
Alba gu' brath

Return to “General Discussion”