Matrix Games Forums

Space Program Manager Launch Contest Announced!Battle Academy 2 is out now on iPad!A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Tactical Advice Requested

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> Tactical Advice Requested Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Tactical Advice Requested - 9/20/2008 5:31:58 PM   
TJD

Greetings:

I'm a big fan of the Rising Sun module and have played most of the original, TalonSoft scenarios numerous times. I'm an adequate player but there is one scenario that always given me fits and has just done so again. It's "Ambush Alley". I can't beat this one. It's by Bevard and I've always admired his work but he created a real puzzler for me in this one. To gain enough VP to win the Allied player has to annihilate most of the Japanese forces; there are too few VP to be had from objectives. But the Allied player is very undergunned and frankly I don't have any good read on a tactical solution. I'd like to know if anyone else does, or can give a few useful hints at least. I suppose an AAR is the way to go here and I may try the scenario again and post it but I'm hopeful that wiser players can give me a clue first.

Thanks!

/TJD
Post #: 1
RE: Tactical Advice Requested - 9/20/2008 5:43:08 PM   
1925frank

There's a "Gunfight at Flavion" thread that discusses tactics.  I think the only RS scenario discussed is "Blitzkrieg in Malaysia." 

I'm not able to help with "Ambush Alley."  Someone else may be able to.  I've been stumped too on scenarios, so I hope there's someone out there who can give some helpful tips.  

(in reply to TJD)
Post #: 2
RE: Tactical Advice Requested - 9/20/2008 6:51:38 PM   
TJD

quote:

ORIGINAL: 1925frank

There's a "Gunfight at Flavion" thread that discusses tactics.  I think the only RS scenario discussed is "Blitzkrieg in Malaysia." 

I'm not able to help with "Ambush Alley."  Someone else may be able to.  I've been stumped too on scenarios, so I hope there's someone out there who can give some helpful tips.  

I'm not so much looking for general tactical advice but advice specific to this scenario. Appreciate the reply, though.

/TJD

(in reply to 1925frank)
Post #: 3
RE: Tactical Advice Requested - 9/27/2008 12:15:28 AM   
Pasha

Hmm i'm going to have to try that one..i'm guessing the real problem is not weather your just plain outgunned. The single most important element in a standard size game is time. If your not winning my guess is you wasted time in some way..most likely a lot of little losses of tempo. i'm going to check that one out myself

(in reply to TJD)
Post #: 4
RE: Tactical Advice Requested - 9/27/2008 1:06:23 AM   
TJD

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pasha

Hmm i'm going to have to try that one..i'm guessing the real problem is not weather your just plain outgunned. The single most important element in a standard size game is time. If your not winning my guess is you wasted time in some way..most likely a lot of little losses of tempo. i'm going to check that one out myself

I'm keen to hear how it goes for you, Pasha. Best of luck to you! This scenario is a dog. You may be right about my wasting time but I tried quite hard to be the fustest with the mostest and frankly I don't think this scenario is winnable. If you prove me wrong, please tell me how you did it. This is the only original Talonsoft scenario that has genuinely stumped me.

/TJD

(in reply to Pasha)
Post #: 5
RE: Tactical Advice Requested - 9/27/2008 4:42:43 AM   
Pasha

i played five turns of it so far. i went up the left side with everything. It does
look a good defensive system in good terrain. i plan on making a left hook and roll up against grain of their deployment/ Hopefully the postions will not be as mutually supportive[image][/image] This is what i have done so far up to turn 5..score is still very low tho..15 i think to be exact

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Pasha -- 9/27/2008 5:52:14 AM >

(in reply to TJD)
Post #: 6
RE: Tactical Advice Requested - 9/28/2008 12:05:42 PM   
Pasha

Hmmm i'm starting to think you uncovered a solitaire that talon did not have time to test. i'm well into the enemy position and everything is going as planned exept the score!..There is a wf scenario i remember in a H2H game that if the defender just exits the map a draw is scored. My guess is the same reason is responsible.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Pasha)
Post #: 7
RE: Tactical Advice Requested - 9/28/2008 6:57:33 PM   
umbro

It is not possible to gain a Major Victory in this scenario the way it is designed. There are only 232VPs of Japanese units and 30VPs of objectives hexes. 275VPs are required to gain a Major Victory - thus, even if you destroy every single Japanese unit and take no losses yourself you cannot win.

I believe that there was supposed to be an allied exit hex on the metalled road exiting the top map edge. That way, if you conserve enough of your force you can exit it for the win.

umbro

(in reply to Pasha)
Post #: 8
RE: Tactical Advice Requested - 9/29/2008 3:26:24 AM   
Pasha

quote:

ORIGINAL: umbro

It is not possible to gain a Major Victory in this scenario the way it is designed. There are only 232VPs of Japanese units and 30VPs of objectives hexes. 275VPs are required to gain a Major Victory - thus, even if you destroy every single Japanese unit and take no losses yourself you cannot win.

I believe that there was supposed to be an allied exit hex on the metalled road exiting the top map edge. That way, if you conserve enough of your force you can exit it for the win.

umbro

Good show Umbro, did you happen to do the math for a minor vic?

< Message edited by Pasha -- 9/29/2008 3:27:46 AM >

(in reply to umbro)
Post #: 9
RE: Tactical Advice Requested - 9/30/2008 12:09:29 AM   
umbro

The minor Victory threshold is 205VPs which can be achieved mathematically but never practically.

To balance the scenario add an Allied exit hex at 13,0

umbro

(in reply to Pasha)
Post #: 10
RE: Tactical Advice Requested - 9/30/2008 1:06:39 AM   
Fierce

Couldn't you just up the value of the obj's? I played this scenario twice with two attack paths and couldn't even come out with a minor loss. The allies took heavy casualties both times.

After all these years I still love the old tactical games.

(in reply to umbro)
Post #: 11
RE: Tactical Advice Requested - 9/30/2008 5:34:33 AM   
umbro

You certainly could, but then you have the trouble of deciding what the values should be to balance the scenario. Adding the exit hex requires no guessing as to values and was probably the designers original intent.

umbro

(in reply to Fierce)
Post #: 12
RE: Tactical Advice Requested - 9/30/2008 6:10:30 AM   
Pasha

I'm not sure an exit would balance it because then an allied victory would be to easy in my opinion..might have to cut the turns to 15ish and add exit.

< Message edited by Pasha -- 9/30/2008 6:12:09 AM >

(in reply to umbro)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> Tactical Advice Requested Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI