Matrix Games Forums

Space Program Manager Launch Contest Announced!Battle Academy 2 is out now on iPad!A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Patch 1.24 Beta

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918 >> Patch 1.24 Beta Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Patch 1.24 Beta - 9/17/2008 10:12:54 AM   
geoffreyg

I wonder if I might stimulate some comments on the current 1.24 beta patch and also note a couple of other items.
1) I like the new withdrawal rule but wonder whether the penalty for using it should be increased (? to x4 normal disruption cost).
2) I think that the new change of control rules for hexes when zero supply work well for clear and city hexes. But for rough and mountain hexes I wonder whether it would be more historically accurate to revert to the old rules. We are getting some very anomalous results in Anatolia in a current game.
3) I think Frank already intends to cure the bug relating to erroneous extra rail moves.
4) A couple of minor points to note are that the British BC Indefatigable is incorrectly spelt and hexes owned by Greece (and for completeness Albania) do not have the relevant country’s flag displayed.
Post #: 1
RE: Patch 1.24 Beta - 9/17/2008 6:08:26 PM   
Harrybanana

I am still a novice at this game and perhaps once I have more experience my views will change, but it is my opinion that the withdrawl rules are already rather onerous on the defender.

The game is named after the famous novel by Barbara Truchman (hope I spelled her name correctly). The major premise of her book is how the French were able to withdraw before the advancing Germans so successfully that they were able to break contact with them and retreat in good order. Than after days of retreat they were able to turn at the Marne and inflict a crushing defeat on the Germans.

My own limited experience with the game is that such a result is very unlikely. If, for example, you have a stack of 2 French corps"Withdrawing" from a hex being attacked by 4 German corps the odds of even 1 of your units withdrawing successfully is poor and both of them withdrawing is negligible (all other things being equal). Accordingly I do not think it would be accurate to impose an even greater penalty on withdrawing units. If anything I woulld suggest that therre be a further modifier to the Movement Ratings of units to penalize units which are advancing into enemy occupied hexes. Units advancing into enemy territory always had to be more cautious and as they were moving away from their supply generally advanced much slower than their opponents could retreat. At least this was the case in WWI. It wasn't until the advent of the tank and motorized transport that the attacker was able to keep up with and even advance quicker that the defender could retreat.

(in reply to geoffreyg)
Post #: 2
RE: Patch 1.24 Beta - 9/17/2008 9:18:14 PM   
Lascar

quote:

ORIGINAL: geoffreyg

I wonder if I might stimulate some comments on the current 1.24 beta patch and also note a couple of other items.
1) I like the new withdrawal rule but wonder whether the penalty for using it should be increased (? to x4 normal disruption cost).

A x4 penalty would make withdrawal prohibitive and a unit would be better off holding its ground and taking its chances there. A unit at full readiness, more often than not a unit attempting withdrawal would not be at full readiness, would be reduced to 5 or 1 readiness depending on terrain. The enemy would occupy that hex and then attack the drastically reduced unit in the next impulse which at that point would have no hope of withdrawing again and would be slaughtered.

(in reply to geoffreyg)
Post #: 3
RE: Patch 1.24 Beta - 9/19/2008 11:17:07 PM   
EdinHouston

I have not noticed a big effect on withdrawals since the patch. When I have tried to withdraw as the TE, it seems that attacking Germans are able to catch my units more often than not. Also, if you have a stack of units and are trying to witdraw them, its unlikely that all will escape, meaning that the resulting combat will be even more uneven than it would have been if all defending units had remained. Based on what I have seen, I would leave the withdrawal rules as they are. No doubt others have had different experiences using the Withdraw command that might give them a different perspective...

(in reply to Lascar)
Post #: 4
RE: Patch 1.24 Beta - 9/24/2008 9:45:49 PM   
geoffreyg

Currently in a second game where the control of Middle Eastern hexes seems to change rather strangely, presumably because supply is near or at zero.
Although not the end of the world, it seems to have an unfortunate side effect for the CP because the Ottomans seem to lose morale when control of cities switch back to the TE without them having had a gain when they notionally switch to the CP beforehand.

(in reply to geoffreyg)
Post #: 5
RE: Patch 1.24 Beta - 9/25/2008 9:09:44 PM   
JBa

Playing as entente ...i dont seem to see the very final victory screen when Germans surrender.
Ottomans, Bulgaria, Austria surrended seperately over space of a year leaving Germans standing alone to fight from 1917 onwards...come the strategic phase of may jun 1917 box pops up saying "leaving guns of august".

NB this was with beta 2...

< Message edited by JBa -- 9/26/2008 3:01:51 PM >

(in reply to geoffreyg)
Post #: 6
RE: Patch 1.24 Beta - 9/26/2008 1:31:50 PM   
JBa

Playing as Central Powers, 1914 start.
The Russain ship Petropavovsk rated at PD displays a damage capacity of 22 when in Naval Combat in the Baltic against the German fleet.
Other PD are 9 rated for damage capacity

NB. This was with beta 2

< Message edited by JBa -- 9/26/2008 3:02:17 PM >

(in reply to JBa)
Post #: 7
RE: Patch 1.24 Beta - 9/26/2008 5:01:09 PM   
FrankHunter

quote:

Playing as entente ...i dont seem to see the very final victory screen when Germans surrender.

The new 1.24 should have fixed this.

quote:

The Russain ship Petropavovsk...

I will have to check to see if this was a typo but I recall at least one case where I gave "dreadnaught" armour strength to a PD because that class was supposedly heavily armoured. But I can't remember which nation that was, could have been Russia.

(in reply to JBa)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918 >> Patch 1.24 Beta Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI