Matrix Games Forums

Community impressions of To End All WarsAgeod's To End All Wars is now availableTo End All Wars is now available!Deal of the Week: Field of GloryTo End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!Ageod's To End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!To End All Wars: Artillery Battle Academy 2: Eastern Front - End of Early Access Space Program Manager unveils its multiplayer modes Another update for Commander: The Great War!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Flash - Modding is in violation to User Agreement

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> Flash - Modding is in violation to User Agreement Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Flash - Modding is in violation to User Agreement - 9/16/2008 2:40:40 PM   
barker

I had asked for a rev list of files that changed. Refer to thread that I will post. This is his final response

Always a good reason to keep a separate install of your "modded" game, as your files will always be overwritten in an update.

Of course, you altering files is against your user agreement.

Jason Petho

games:
1. AGEOD Blue and Gray
2. John Tiller's Battleground Series
3. Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord
4. Combat Mission: Barbarossa to Berlin
5. V for Victory Games
6. Silent Hunter III
7. Silent Hunter IV
8. Rise and Fall of the Third Re
Post #: 1
RE: Flash - Modding is in violation to User Agreement - 9/16/2008 2:46:30 PM   
barker

here is the thread and post it was taken from

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1914711&mpage=1&#1914912

games:
1. AGEOD Blue and Gray
5. V for Victory Games
6. Silent Hunter III
7. Silent Hunter IV

(in reply to barker)
Post #: 2
RE: Flash - Modding is in violation to User Agreement - 9/16/2008 4:07:32 PM   
barker

Are you going to post this statement to other users that are modifying files? if not you have singled me out....Is it because I expressed my concerns on this produc, is it because I have asked reasonable requests...or what is it...you condone user modification with others but to me you say I am in Violation of EULA? You currently are responsible for the updates and modifying of files...this is correct? If I modify the files I am in default...correct? I need a very specific response to my case and concern that may effect others on their modifying...such as PG3D meets JTCS...this is a very cool mod and greatly appreciated but is this more in violation of the EULA? What about the fancy graphics that I have seen in posts....there is specific instructions to overwrite Matrix Files, is this condoned or against the EULA?
So if the HAMMER is laid down it needs to be laid down to all not just one person?

games:
1. AGEOD Blue and Gray
5. V for Victory Games
6. Silent Hunter III
7. Silent Hunter IV

(in reply to barker)
Post #: 3
RE: Flash - Modding is in violation to User Agreement - 9/16/2008 4:55:52 PM   
barker

here are some mods that by jason's definition are in violation

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1884010
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=452
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1524604
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1906489
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1700964

games:
1. AGEOD Blue and Gray
5. V for Victory Games
6. Silent Hunter III
7. Silent Hunter IV

(in reply to barker)
Post #: 4
RE: Flash - Modding is in violation to User Agreement - 9/16/2008 5:48:19 PM   
Erik Rutins

Keeping a backup of any modded files and/or a separate install of modded files is simply good advice. Modding is not against the license agreement, as long as you don't sell the mods. We have no objection to modders or modding and in fact encourage modding on all our games.

If you want to find out what files changed in an update, just install the update to an empty folder and you'll see an installation of just the updated files.

Erik Rutins
Director of Product Development

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to barker)
Post #: 5
RE: Flash - Modding is in violation to User Agreement - 9/16/2008 5:58:16 PM   
barker

Thank you sir, I do appriciate your quick response and time. Thanks again for clarification

games:
1. AGEOD Blue and Gray
5. V for Victory Games
6. Silent Hunter III
7. Silent Hunter IV

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 6
RE: Flash - Modding is in violation to User Agreement - 9/16/2008 5:58:47 PM   
barker

If you want please delete this posting if you wish

games:
1. AGEOD Blue and Gray
5. V for Victory Games
6. Silent Hunter III
7. Silent Hunter IV

(in reply to barker)
Post #: 7
RE: Flash - Modding is in violation to User Agreement - 9/17/2008 3:06:59 AM   
Jason Petho

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Keeping a backup of any modded files and/or a separate install of modded files is simply good advice. Modding is not against the license agreement,

Just a bit of history as to where the comment originated from:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=1890484

Jason Petho

Petho Cartography

Mapping Military History

Post #: 8
RE: Flash - Modding is in violation to User Agreement - 9/17/2008 4:09:32 AM   
flipperwasirish

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jason Petho

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Keeping a backup of any modded files and/or a separate install of modded files is simply good advice. Modding is not against the license agreement,

Just a bit of history as to where the comment originated from:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=1890484

Jason Petho

That's a lot of history.

At some point just agree to disagree (on what I am not sure exactly, as many issues are based upon assumptions which are not close to being apples-to-apples which has caused problems) and move on. Too much work for something that should be fun.

Flipper

(in reply to Jason Petho)
Post #: 9
RE: Flash - Modding is in violation to User Agreement - 9/17/2008 10:39:17 AM   
MrRoadrunner

quote:

ORIGINAL: barker

If you want please delete this posting if you wish

Wouldn't it be easier to to just replace the "ing" with "er".
My favorite General Dynamics product is the Barker Drone.

RR

“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
― Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

(in reply to barker)
Post #: 10
RE: Flash - Modding is in violation to User Agreement - 9/17/2008 4:03:34 PM   
1925frank

Simovitch has a thread in the General Discussion that is worth a look.  Perhaps he'll share his find here as well.

(in reply to MrRoadrunner)
Post #: 11
RE: Flash - Modding is in violation to User Agreement - 9/18/2008 3:15:55 AM   
big dawg

quote:

Are you going to post this statement to other users that are modifying files? if not you have singled me out....Is it because I expressed my concerns on this produc, is it because I have asked reasonable requests...or what is it...you condone user modification with others but to me you say I am in Violation of EULA? You currently are responsible for the updates and modifying of files...this is correct? If I modify the files I am in default...correct? I need a very specific response to my case and concern that may effect others on their modifying...such as PG3D meets JTCS...this is a very cool mod and greatly appreciated but is this more in violation of the EULA? What about the fancy graphics that I have seen in posts....there is specific instructions to overwrite Matrix Files, is this condoned or against the EULA?
So if the HAMMER is laid down it needs to be laid down to all not just one person?

Barker,

Dude, just chill !!

Your whining and *itching all the time is bringing me down.

Be more positive & not such a drag.

(in reply to barker)
Post #: 12
RE: Flash - Modding is in violation to User Agreement - 9/18/2008 9:18:43 AM   
barker

You know I have several Matrix titles, and requested help in other areas of this board and recieved great help and guidance. This support was greatly appreciated and sought after. I recieved great help from the developers of other games that Matrix Offers and that was a huge help. Here it is a bit touch and go. You tick off someone because of your opinions on how they run certain aspects and you get villified. I complaoned of the process and procedures as to how to get things fixed. I asked for official Matrix Support. I applaud like I said before the numerous advances free programming accelerated this game in the gaming community. Again note the word FREE....You do do get what you pay for. The reason Matrix is keeping this title open is because they do not have to pay anyone to do the work and take none of the responsibility. Low cost production but high cost for the games. I don't mind a good laugh at my expense and a better one at my mistakes, but and I want to make this very clear....I play my JTCS on XP because of the issues with vista. I have a state of the art gaming machine and can't play this game on it. So do you not think that when a company states that a product is compatible it should be. Do you remember the old 100% IBM compatible stickers on games? That was an issue then. That gave the consumer a huge confidence in what they were buying. I am not torqued with Jason, just at how the processes are to get anything accomplised.

Thanks for all the deragatory comments and please sir may I have more

lol
Marc

games:
1. AGEOD Blue and Gray
5. V for Victory Games
6. Silent Hunter III
7. Silent Hunter IV

(in reply to big dawg)
Post #: 13
RE: Flash - Modding is in violation to User Agreement - 9/18/2008 11:16:57 AM   
Terl

quote:

You know I have several Matrix titles, and requested help in other areas of this board and recieved great help and guidance. This support was greatly appreciated and sought after. I recieved great help from the developers of other games that Matrix Offers and that was a huge help. Here it is a bit touch and go. You tick off someone because of your opinions on how they run certain aspects and you get villified. I complaoned of the process and procedures as to how to get things fixed. I asked for official Matrix Support. I applaud like I said before the numerous advances free programming accelerated this game in the gaming community. Again note the word FREE....You do do get what you pay for. The reason Matrix is keeping this title open is because they do not have to pay anyone to do the work and take none of the responsibility. Low cost production but high cost for the games. I don't mind a good laugh at my expense and a better one at my mistakes, but and I want to make this very clear....I play my JTCS on XP because of the issues with vista. I have a state of the art gaming machine and can't play this game on it. So do you not think that when a company states that a product is compatible it should be. Do you remember the old 100% IBM compatible stickers on games? That was an issue then. That gave the consumer a huge confidence in what they were buying. I am not torqued with Jason, just at how the processes are to get anything accomplised.

Thanks for all the deragatory comments and please sir may I have more

lol
Marc

My Mom always told me to treat others as you wish to be treated, talk to them the way you wish to be talked to, and just in general act nicely to one another. I think you should hunt around and read some of your many posts (they are easy to find, sometimes there are 4 or 5 in a row) and ask yourself about Karma.... sometimes it does get ya...

As a note, the game does indeed work on Vista, works wonderfully on mine and as I can see on many others. Just because you have issues does not mean the product is not Vista compatible.

I also noticed that Erik did respond to one of your posts but apparently you are too busy to respond to Erik. He asked specifically what the issues were.

(in reply to barker)
Post #: 14
RE: Flash - Modding is in violation to User Agreement - 9/18/2008 5:18:21 PM   
barker

Note that you have to change your desktop theme and etc. That conflicts of other programs that I run. I found it easier to go ahead and load it on the XP. Like I sad I will wait on the Vista patches so when it comes out of the box you don't have to tweak settings and such. XP by far is a better platform, better compatibility etc.

games:
1. AGEOD Blue and Gray
5. V for Victory Games
6. Silent Hunter III
7. Silent Hunter IV

(in reply to Terl)
Post #: 15
RE: Flash - Modding is in violation to User Agreement - 9/18/2008 5:28:41 PM   
Terl

quote:

Note that you have to change your desktop theme and etc. That conflicts of other programs that I run. I found it easier to go ahead and load it on the XP. Like I sad I will wait on the Vista patches so when it comes out of the box you don't have to tweak settings and such. XP by far is a better platform, better compatibility etc.

All that complaining is about having to change user settings? Oh geez...

(in reply to barker)
Post #: 16
RE: Flash - Modding is in violation to User Agreement - 9/18/2008 6:30:00 PM   
barker

nope vista compatibility...I have a home network of 5 machines, laptops etc...so compatibility is a key issue...my family does like to have gaming tourneies so ......if the vista issues get resolved that is 4 more purchases.....so you see when I buy a title I test them on the Vista and then deploy to the rest. I always buy 4 more copies after the tests are complete. I have 6 kids range fro 10 to 25 so networking is the issue in our family...so it is just not a vista issue

games:
1. AGEOD Blue and Gray
5. V for Victory Games
6. Silent Hunter III
7. Silent Hunter IV

(in reply to Terl)
Post #: 17
RE: Flash - Modding is in violation to User Agreement - 9/18/2008 6:36:39 PM   
Terl

But it works on Vista for me and many other folks. So what if you have to tweak a user setting to make it work; that does not mean it is incompatible. Plus, user installed programs could also interfere making this user specific. Your complaint should be to Microsoft it seems to me. I actually think you are upset about gameplay and are just using the "incompatibility" nonsense as a smokescreen. Have at it...

< Message edited by Terl -- 9/18/2008 6:37:28 PM >

(in reply to barker)
Post #: 18
RE: Flash - Modding is in violation to User Agreement - 9/18/2008 6:52:19 PM   
barker

I use Maya, Autdesk software, CATIA and other Highend Graphics programs. I tweak something I have to tweak others. It just gets nasty. No problem I'll Just wait. The battleground series works great...I just don't see why this wouldn't. Had to do no tweak after the BG instal, American Conquest, Combat Mission, Blue and Gray, Forge of freedom and some others....could not do the history chan civil war 1st person shooter, bad issues with that one,

games:
1. AGEOD Blue and Gray
5. V for Victory Games
6. Silent Hunter III
7. Silent Hunter IV

(in reply to Terl)
Post #: 19
RE: Flash - Modding is in violation to User Agreement - 9/18/2008 7:18:48 PM   
Terl

quote:

I use Maya, Autdesk software, CATIA and other Highend Graphics programs. I tweak something I have to tweak others. It just gets nasty. No problem I'll Just wait. The battleground series works great...I just don't see why this wouldn't. Had to do no tweak after the BG instal, American Conquest, Combat Mission, Blue and Gray, Forge of freedom and some others....could not do the history chan civil war 1st person shooter, bad issues with that one,

See, that is the thing, it could be a conflict with anything listed, who knows. But, it does work with Vista. There is a difference between demanding they fix the game for your specific situation and just making it work with Vista. I have a few games at home that need something odd done to make them work correctly, but that is because I have some background stuff that conflicts (I had one, Darkstar One, that I had to shut down the little ATI program that sat in the systray, had others years back that would not work with realplayer in the systray). So I just turn 'em off and move on. A majority of my games run just fine without any tweaks. Bottom line, IMHO, is that it is on me not the developer to fix my configuration issues. Heck it is better than a fleet of boot disks and tweaking autoexec.bat files and such though that was kinda fun too, especially when the game finally fired up.

Is the Battlegrounds set fun? I have been looking at that, GG: War between the States, Forge of Freedom or even the AGEOD game AACW. I have no Civil War game so I am checking them out.

(in reply to barker)
Post #: 20
RE: Flash - Modding is in violation to User Agreement - 9/18/2008 8:37:35 PM   
andym

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terl

Is the Battlegrounds set fun? I have been looking at that, GG: War between the States, Forge of Freedom or even the AGEOD game AACW. I have no Civil War game so I am checking them out.

Yes its great.Best game i have bought in a long time.Go for it.

Press to Test...............Release to Detonate!

(in reply to Terl)
Post #: 21
RE: Flash - Modding is in violation to User Agreement - 9/18/2008 11:35:59 PM   
Arctic Blast

quote:

Okay, and yet, on MY Vista machine, American Conquest does not run at all. However, I don't attack the makers of a game with code predating the operating system. For you, the CS series DOES work, although you have to tweak for it. For me, AC does NOT work regardless of what I do. I don't see where you have anything approaching a valid complaint when threatening to go to the BBB with a claim the game doesn't work on Vista.

Meditation on inevitable death should be performed daily.

(in reply to barker)
Post #: 22
RE: Flash - Modding is in violation to User Agreement - 9/19/2008 12:18:48 AM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

I play my JTCS on XP because of the issues with vista. I have a state of the art gaming machine and can't play this game on it. So do you not think that when a company states that a product is compatible it should be.

JTCS works fine on all our Vista test systems. What problems have you had? What solutions have you tried?

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to barker)
Post #: 23
RE: Flash - Modding is in violation to User Agreement - 9/19/2008 4:59:02 AM   
barker

When I change the desktop them and compatability switches and run JTCS it screws with my CAD Programs. And High Visual software. I rum Maya 2008, Catia 5r17 autoCAD 2008, Microstation XM, Battleground Series does not conflict with these. I thought they used the same type of engines and display qualities. No problems I am running it on XP. I have to test the games on the vista so I can purchase other copies for my 4 other machines on our network. I have had issues with the CDV History Channel stuff, Comabt Mission works fine all 3 games, even the old Port Royal II, Sid Meyers Pirates works fine I have just had issues with this game. It is Mainly the graphics problems I think is the incompatibilty. I am using Nvidia SLI with Vista Ultimate. I get the white flash when scrolling, Screen remains olive drab when getting out of the game, I had issues on Install initially on Vista but not on XP and that type of thing 

games:
1. AGEOD Blue and Gray
5. V for Victory Games
6. Silent Hunter III
7. Silent Hunter IV

Post #: 24
RE: Flash - Modding is in violation to User Agreement - 9/19/2008 5:02:18 AM   
barker

Well it states Vista Compatible of the shelf and in the install. That is misrepresentation. Maybe it is a series of service packs for vista or whaever. When it states Vista I am assuming 64bit or 32 bit regardless of Vista Update. If not like other games state do not run on XP SP2, May experience some problems with various service packs of Vista. It did not say that

games:
1. AGEOD Blue and Gray
5. V for Victory Games
6. Silent Hunter III
7. Silent Hunter IV

(in reply to barker)
Post #: 25
RE: Flash - Modding is in violation to User Agreement - 9/20/2008 4:04:33 AM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

When I change the desktop them and compatability switches and run JTCS it screws with my CAD Programs. It is Mainly the graphics problems I think is the incompatibilty. I am using Nvidia SLI with Vista Ultimate. I get the white flash when scrolling, Screen remains olive drab when getting out of the game, I had issues on Install initially on Vista but not on XP and that type of thing 

Are you updated to v1.04?

The compatibility settings are specific to a particular application, so I'm not sure how these would be causing problems for other aps, unless you're running your CAD programs at the same time as JTCS? If so, be aware that JTCS was never really designed to be in a multi-tasking environmenet and we recommend for this as for all our games that when you play, it's the only programm running.

We did test with Vista 32-bit and Vista 64-bit and some Vista-related issues were a focus of pre-release development. However, we did not test with Vista AND SLI, so I wonder if some issues may be specific to that combination. How up to date are your graphics drivers?

Erik Rutins

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to barker)
Post #: 26
RE: Flash - Modding is in violation to User Agreement - 9/20/2008 1:28:52 PM   
barker

I have download latest and greates, now is it possible that I am not saying your guys fault or anything like that, If I remember correctly and some kindly reminded me, during talonsoft days was there an issue with nvidia drivers? If so this may be my case

games:
1. AGEOD Blue and Gray
5. V for Victory Games
6. Silent Hunter III
7. Silent Hunter IV

Post #: 27
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> Flash - Modding is in violation to User Agreement Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI