Matrix Games Forums

To End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!Ageod's To End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!To End All Wars: Artillery Battle Academy 2: Eastern Front - End of Early Access Space Program Manager unveils its multiplayer modes Another update for Commander: The Great War!Distant Worlds: Universe gets a new updateDeal of the Week: Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich Advanced Tactics Gold is coming to SteamMatrix Games now speaks German!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: AI for MWIF - Poland

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: AI for MWIF - Poland Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: AI for MWIF - Poland - 9/6/2008 8:40:23 PM   
Incy

Just a comment on the GS defence setup, id requires the CW to take a combined or land in it's first impulse.
Very often the CW wants to take a naval on its first impulse, particularily if france first is happening.
So this setup, while very good, must be seen in the context of the global situation for the CW, because it consumes action limits.

(in reply to peskpesk)
Post #: 31
RE: AI for MWIF - Poland - 9/6/2008 8:44:48 PM   
peskpesk

quote:

ORIGINAL: Incy

Just a comment on the GS defence setup, id requires the CW to take a combined or land in it's first impulse.
Very often the CW wants to take a naval on its first impulse, particularily if france first is happening.
So this setup, while very good, must be seen in the context of the global situation for the CW, because it consumes action limits.

Excellent! I will add the demand for CW to do combined or land in it's first impulse to use the setup.

"'Malta - The Thorn in Rommel's Side"

(in reply to Incy)
Post #: 32
RE: AI for MWIF - Poland - 9/6/2008 10:09:08 PM   
Taxman66

One of the things we sometimes do (did) was to fly the polish airforce into the Baltic States on the CWs first impulse if GE set up enough FTRs to make it worthless to do anything else.  This allows the CW to get 2 pilots without having to wait for GE and RU to go to war.  The Polish planes go away, but the CW really doesn't want them anyway.

"Part of the $10 million I spent on gambling, part on booze and part on women. The rest I spent foolishly." - George Raft

(in reply to peskpesk)
Post #: 33
RE: AI for MWIF - Poland - 9/7/2008 9:51:52 AM   
Froonp

quote:

ORIGINAL: Taxman66

One of the things we sometimes do (did) was to fly the polish airforce into the Baltic States on the CWs first impulse if GE set up enough FTRs to make it worthless to do anything else.  This allows the CW to get 2 pilots without having to wait for GE and RU to go to war.  The Polish planes go away, but the CW really doesn't want them anyway.

I do this all the time, not just sometimes.
Becoming CW pilots will give them the opportunity of flyin lots of missions, as the CW has lots of unpiloted planes, rather than fly once in Poland for nothing and get captered.

(in reply to Taxman66)
Post #: 34
RE: AI for MWIF - Poland - 9/7/2008 1:03:43 PM   
Taxman66

The key is that GE has to set up 3 or 4 FTRs on the Polish Border, if he sets up only 1 or 2 then it might be worth using the Polish airforce.  Particularly if they can fly from the target hex back to an Eastern Polish hex or (unlikely) to the Baltic States.

"Part of the $10 million I spent on gambling, part on booze and part on women. The rest I spent foolishly." - George Raft

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 35
RE: AI for MWIF - Poland - 9/7/2008 4:27:06 PM   
Orm

Nowdays I almost always fight with the Polish aircraft.

The reasons that I do this is:
-You force the German planes to commit on the Polish front.
-Makes Germany spend oil to reorganize his planes.
-A chance to shoot down German aircraft and to alter land combat odds.
-A decent chance for the Polish pilots to survive to join the CW. (If the aircrafts is shoot down)

Remember that a pilot in a aircraft shoot down over friendly territory is more likely to survive than to be killed.

-Orm

(in reply to Taxman66)
Post #: 36
RE: AI for MWIF - Poland - 9/7/2008 4:39:18 PM   
Taxman66

Yeah, but when GE is rolling on the big plus tables there's a pretty good chance the pilot is going to die...  You also have to remember that if the Polish plane(s) is only aborted the pilot is going to die on the ground (remember you can't fly on GE's first impulse) or possibly be held in Siberia (if RU hasn't claimed E. Poland yet.  In our games this happens right away as you never know when a S/O will end.  Even still a pilot held in Siberia isn't doing the CW any good.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 37
RE: AI for MWIF - Poland - 9/7/2008 5:29:09 PM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Taxman66

Yeah, but when GE is rolling on the big plus tables there's a pretty good chance the pilot is going to die...  You also have to remember that if the Polish plane(s) is only aborted the pilot is going to die on the ground (remember you can't fly on GE's first impulse) or possibly be held in Siberia (if RU hasn't claimed E. Poland yet.  In our games this happens right away as you never know when a S/O will end.  Even still a pilot held in Siberia isn't doing the CW any good.

USSR is always guaranteed at least 2 impulses in sep/oct 39 so Russia do not need to claim eastern Poland on the first impulse.

If a plane gets shot down over friendly terrotory the odds for the pilot to survive is always alot better than for the pilot to die. Regardless of what table that has been used.

The only thing that worries me with this strategy is the abort. And then we played that a pilot interned by the russians was removed from the game.

Since the rule is: (My bold markings)
19.5.1 Eastern Poland
Any Allied (except Soviet) units there are destroyed.They are removed from the game (internment) until Germany and the USSR are at war, at which point they may be added to the Commonwealth force pool if the Commonwealth player so desires.

-Orm

(in reply to Taxman66)
Post #: 38
RE: AI for MWIF - Poland - 9/7/2008 6:37:27 PM   
Taxman66

A 17-20 (+2 to +5 GE advantage) will kill the Polish Pilot.  Additionally 7, 8, 13 & 14 (or 8, 9, 13 & 14) will get the pilot killing abort; and a dash or even a Clear through by the GE could result in the GE ending the fight providing an 'in effect' abort result to the Polish. 

If GE commits only 1 or 2 FTRs to the Polish border it 'may' be worth flying the Polish air force.  If does have them, then I prefer the guarantee to get the 2 pilots rather than the small chance of doing harm to the GE forces.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 39
RE: AI for MWIF - Poland - 9/7/2008 9:37:03 PM   
Froonp

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm
The only thing that worries me with this strategy is the abort. And then we played that a pilot interned by the russians was removed from the game.

19.5.1 Eastern Poland
Any Allied (except Soviet) units there are destroyed.They are removed from the game (internment) until Germany and the USSR are at war, at which point they may be added to the Commonwealth force pool if the Commonwealth player so desires.

-Orm

No, the interned pilot is not destroyed, if the plane aborts to Eastern Poland and Eastern Poland is controlled by the USSR, the Polish Pilot is interned by the USSR, and may be added to the CW pilots when the USSR comes to war with Germany (as per the rule you quoted).

This said, aborting to a neutral minor country is better, but is there a neutral minor country in range from the place where the Polish Air Force will engage the Germans ? I doubt it, so I prefer rebasing them immediately to a neutral Minor Country for the immediate gain of 2 pilots. The CW desperatly needs more pilots to pilot its 4 unpiloted bombers.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 40
RE: AI for MWIF - Poland - 9/8/2008 6:21:15 AM   
peskpesk

quote:

ORIGINAL: Froonp

quote:

19.5.1 Eastern Poland

-Orm

No, the interned pilot is not destroyed, if the plane aborts to Eastern Poland and Eastern Poland is controlled by the USSR, the Polish Pilot is interned by the USSR, and may be added to the CW pilots when the USSR comes to war with Germany (as per the rule you quoted).

This said, aborting to a neutral minor country is better, but is there a neutral minor country in range from the place where the Polish Air Force will engage the Germans ? I doubt it, so I prefer rebasing them immediately to a neutral Minor Country for the immediate gain of 2 pilots. The CW desperatly needs more pilots to pilot its 4 unpiloted bombers.

The interoperation of the rules from the rulebook is correct by Orm, the reason Froonp also is correct is the QA:

[Clarification. Polish air units and their pilots are interned if they are in eastern Poland when the USSR occupies it - Dec. 29, 2007.]

An update of the rulebook would be nice.

It’s possible to land the Polish FTR2 in Lithuania after a dogfight over Warsaw as along as the USSR has not taken Eastern Poland. But it it legal? It's not a rebase.

Option 58: (Internment) A minor country aircraft unit can rebase into a neutral minor country. An aircraft unit that does that is destroyed. (PiF option 28: but the pilot survives).

< Message edited by peskpesk -- 9/8/2008 6:24:36 PM >

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 41
RE: AI for MWIF - Poland - 9/10/2008 10:12:42 PM   
Froonp

quote:

ORIGINAL: peskpesk
It’s possible to land the Polish FTR2 in Lithuania after a dogfight over Warsaw as along as the USSR has not taken Eastern Poland. But it it legal? It's not a rebase.

Option 58: (Internment) A minor country aircraft unit can rebase into a neutral minor country. An aircraft unit that does that is destroyed. (PiF option 28: but the pilot survives).

I would say it is, it is in the spirit of the Internemt rule.

(in reply to peskpesk)
Post #: 42
RE: AI for MWIF - Poland - 9/10/2008 11:23:39 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

I want to add here that I believe we should have as many different Polish defenses as possible. The conquest of Poland is likely to be hammered by the players, who will try again and again to position the Germans, "just so" to crush Poland quickly. Most war games have players designing the 'ideal' starting position to optimize their gains in the first few turns (I do this).

By having 1 or 2 dozen rather different defenses for the Poles, I hope to frustrate players who try to achieve "the perfect German setup leading to immediate conquest of Poland" and require them to settle for a German setup that usually works well, depending on which set up the AIO selects.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 43
RE: AI for MWIF - Poland - 9/10/2008 11:49:43 PM   
Taxman66

There are nearly a dozen already.  Although some are only practicle in certain situations (GE overloading the North, or South, or France 1st).  As long is the AI is smart enough to pick out the appropriate defense or at least eliminate the inappropriate ones you should be ok.

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 44
RE: AI for MWIF - Poland - 9/11/2008 12:58:23 AM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

I want to add here that I believe we should have as many different Polish defenses as possible. The conquest of Poland is likely to be hammered by the players, who will try again and again to position the Germans, "just so" to crush Poland quickly. Most war games have players designing the 'ideal' starting position to optimize their gains in the first few turns (I do this).

By having 1 or 2 dozen rather different defenses for the Poles, I hope to frustrate players who try to achieve "the perfect German setup leading to immediate conquest of Poland" and require them to settle for a German setup that usually works well, depending on which set up the AIO selects.

Some of these setups can have small variations on the same theme to make additional setups.

Maybe we need some more ideas for a basic setup.
How do you guys prefer to set up the poles?

-Orm

Post #: 45
RE: AI for MWIF - Poland - 9/11/2008 1:24:31 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

quote:

Some of these setups can have small variations on the same theme to make additional setups.

Maybe we need some more ideas for a basic setup.
How do you guys prefer to set up the poles?

-Orm

I prefer to make Warsaw as difficult to take as possible.

- The units north of Warsaw can not be overrun. if they are permitted to do so, they can retreat to Lodz in the second impulse.
- The air units can be overrun, but they are out of the way from where Germany would like to go. If they are overrun, they rebase to Lithuania. If they are not overrun, they can support Warsaw on the 3rd impulse.
- The 3 point units can retreat to Lodz on the 2nd impulse if they are permitted to do so.
- I split the naval units just to give the Germans another hex to move into/overrun.

Bascially, I view the air and naval units as being of little value and I just want to keep the Germans busy in Poland for as long as possible. I've been known to have everyone take a pass action on the 4th and subsequent impulses, which is usually painless for the Allies to do (with a little planning) and can cause the Axis players to suddenly become very pale.

Attachment (1)

Steve

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 46
RE: AI for MWIF - Poland - 9/11/2008 2:02:19 AM   
Orm

quote:

- The units north of Warsaw can not be overrun. if they are permitted to do so, they can retreat to Lodz in the second impulse.
- The air units can be overrun, but they are out of the way from where Germany would like to go. If they are overrun, they rebase to Lithuania. If they are not overrun, they can support Warsaw on the 3rd impulse.
- The 3 point units can retreat to Lodz on the 2nd impulse if they are permitted to do so.
- I split the naval units just to give the Germans another hex to move into/overrun.

Bascially, I view the air and naval units as being of little value and I just want to keep the Germans busy in Poland for as long as possible. I've been known to have everyone take a pass action on the 4th and subsequent impulses, which is usually painless for the Allies to do (with a little planning) and can cause the Axis players to suddenly become very pale.

To me it looks like the Germans gets a two stack attack on Lodz during the suprise that gives a odds about 6-1 and 7-1 to 10-1 with ground support. Is that an intentional bait for the Germans?

-Orm

< Message edited by Orm -- 9/11/2008 2:03:34 AM >

Post #: 47
RE: AI for MWIF - Poland - 9/11/2008 2:56:17 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

quote:

To me it looks like the Germans gets a two stack attack on Lodz during the suprise that gives a odds about 6-1 and 7-1 to 10-1 with ground support. Is that an intentional bait for the Germans?

-Orm

No.

It is hard to prevent attacks on both Lodz and Warsaw. But if Germany is only going to take Lodz and leave the other defenders unmolested, then defending Warsaw is easier for the 3rd impulse. Germany can use 4 weak corps to freeze the 3 point Polish units, and maybe take out one of the 4 point units too, but that requires a lot of German units.

What I do not want to see is all the Stukas bombing Warsaw followed by a two hex attack on Warsaw during the surprise impulse when rivers do not have any effect. If Germany uses the Stukas on Lodz and then reorganizes them using a HQ so they can bomb Warsaw, well, then the Polish air force might get a chance to show what they are worth.

I also do not want to see any units overrun, which I think might be possible against 3 pointers in the clear.

Steve

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 48
RE: AI for MWIF - Poland - 9/11/2008 3:18:36 AM   
Mike Dubost

quote:

quote:

quote:

-Orm

No.

It is hard to prevent attacks on both Lodz and Warsaw. But if Germany is only going to take Lodz and leave the other defenders unmolested, then defending Warsaw is easier for the 3rd impulse. Germany can use 4 weak corps to freeze the 3 point Polish units, and maybe take out one of the 4 point units too, but that requires a lot of German units.

What I do not want to see is all the Stukas bombing Warsaw followed by a two hex attack on Warsaw during the surprise impulse when rivers do not have any effect. If Germany uses the Stukas on Lodz and then reorganizes them using a HQ so they can bomb Warsaw, well, then the Polish air force might get a chance to show what they are worth.

I also do not want to see any units overrun, which I think might be possible against 3 pointers in the clear.

I know that in my 3 games of CWF, I found that it is very difficult to defend Poland against a large force out of East Prussia. I could not find any way to stop the Germans from getting a strong attack on Warsaw in the surprise impulse. The ARM and Mech can be in East Prussia, since it is specifically identified as part of the German home nation.

I do admit that I used the 1d10 table, not 2d10, but I could usually get more than 3-1. Granted, this is the total of my WiF FE experience, so maybe I am missing something. My previous WiF experience is so long ago that I don't recall any lessons from it, and anyway, it was with an older edition (it still had separate 1-combat factor HQ units, I think it was 5th ed.).

If the Germans had the ARM/MECH in East Prussia, of all the pictured setups, only the iron ring and ground strike defenses would not give them a 2-hex attack in the surprise impulse. Even then, the Germans could get a strong attack on the outlying hexes and set up for a 3rd impulse attack on Warsaw.

I suspect that the other defenses would only be useful if Germany does not follow the East Prussia setup. Do the more experienced people have a different idea?

Post #: 49
RE: AI for MWIF - Poland - 9/11/2008 4:06:17 AM   
Orm

quote:

Germanys strongest possible stack is two 8 strength armor and one 4 strength ART for a total of 20 points. If you play with 1d10 Germany cannot overrun a polish 3 pointer unless it is flipped and out of supply.

When you play with 2d10 you need to get to +16 to get the overrun. The 20 attack stack gives you +12, 2 armor for an extra +2 leaves you 2 points short of a overrun. However if the defending unit is disrupted you get another +2 bonus for that and can then overrun the 3 strength defender.

And all of this goes out the window if Germany plays his offensive chit for then he can do just about anything he wishes in Poland. To the great joy of the allies that has one less offensive to be scared of.

-Orm

Post #: 50
RE: AI for MWIF - Poland - 9/11/2008 4:57:12 AM   
brian brian

the best way to set up the Poles is to base the whole thing on where the Germans have what. It is the most fun when the Germans divert some forces to DoW Yugoslavia, or even better try for a France First, but that strategy is increasingly rare I think in ftf play. With MWiF I think it will make a comeback. A smart German will also commit several of the most mobile corps with at least one MECH/ARM to Denmark to keep the British from landing in force in Frederikshavn.

If they are heavy in East Prussia, sacrificing a unit in Danzig might divert that group for the first impulse, because the Germans will probably want to get the overrun rolls on the two Polish ships.

Lodz is the more difficult city to take due to the extra factory stack...the above set-up gives a two-hex attack on it while it has only one defender, so I would like this set-up as the Germans. You also have to take Lodz to conquer the country, not just Warsaw.

The Germans can only get an 18 point stack for an overrun, since ART can't participate; only the 2-6 tank destroyer is motorized and can participate. If the Germans draw both 8 point ARM (25% chance) they can get to 18 (but only 80% chance of drawing the 2-6 gun). So they can't overrun anything aside from the Polish division....unless they can ground-strike a unit that is out of supply after some manuevering.

A lot can happen in S/O 39...I've never thought of trying to pass on the first turn, I like that, but that might not work for the Chinese if the sun has been shining too much in China. With standard RaW Vichy rules, a lot of German players won't care if they finish Poland on the first turn; what's important is casualties. So I like to maximize the defense of Lodz, the strongest Polish hex. But since HQs and divs are so useful in WiF, I put them in the Pripets to join the CW army in 41 or 42, and the aircraft up near Vilna or somewhere else out of reach of the German set-up. They represent 4 BPs for the CW, and I like to maximize CW lending to France on the second and third turns, so those two pilots are important. I like to fly the CW ATR to re-org a TRS on occasion on the first CW impulse along with a port-strike on Kiel, so it is important to find the planes a really out of the way place to stay until the 2nd Allied impulse, like maybe on the HQ in the swamp. With MWiF divisions created from units the CW won't miss, like the weaker Indian INF corps, the Polish division is a lot less important and I'd put that in Lodz so the Germans need a /S result to take the hex.

Without the HQ and division, the Poles have only two units left over. So I put them either with one in Danzig and one helping to screen Lodz, or if the Germans are weak in Czechosovakia, I put them both in Katowice to possibly get lucky and block the transport of the resources in Poland, or lucky in terms of holding some German units in the south without enough movement to get up to the Warsaw/Lodz area in any rainy weather. Katowice can wrench the German plans the best I think.

I don't think a German player doing repeated attacks on the AI's set-up of Poland could find the perfect set-up to wipe-out Poland. If you use the whole Luftwaffe and 90% of the ground units and the weather is clear for three impulses, Poland is toast with minimal casualties (against that kind of German set-up I would forget Katowice and Danzig and just prevent a first impulse attack on Warsaw). Maybe even in only two impulses. If the Germans use less than that or the weather goes bad, then things get more interesting. But the biggest two variables are the German commitment and the weather, not the Polish set-up, in my opinion.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 51
RE: AI for MWIF - Poland - 9/11/2008 5:15:42 AM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: brian brian

The Germans can only get an 18 point stack for an overrun, since ART can't participate; only the 2-6 tank destroyer is motorized and can participate. If the Germans draw both 8 point ARM (25% chance) they can get to 18 (but only 80% chance of drawing the 2-6 gun). So they can't overrun anything aside from the Polish division....unless they can ground-strike a unit that is out of supply after some manuevering.

Cut from Raw
11.11.6 Overruns
Overrunning land units
At least one of the overrunning units must be an ARM, MECH or HQ-A unit.
If the defending units include an ARM or HQ-A unit (AsA option 3: or anti-tank unit), you can only overrun them if you have more ARM or HQ-A units.
If the defending units do not include an ARM or HQ-A unit (AsA option 3: or anti-tank unit) but do include a MECH unit, you can only overrun them if you have either:
- an ARM or HQ-A unit; or
- more MECH units.

So long as one unit has "blitz" capability the rest can be any unit with a land combat factor (and the stack has more "armor" than the defending stack).

-Orm

< Message edited by Orm -- 9/11/2008 5:19:42 AM >

(in reply to brian brian)
Post #: 52
RE: AI for MWIF - Poland - 9/11/2008 6:39:59 AM   
peskpesk

quote:

quote:

Germanys strongest possible stack is two 8 strength armor and one 4 strength ART for a total of 20 points. If you play with 1d10 Germany cannot overrun a polish 3 pointer unless it is flipped and out of supply.

When you play with 2d10 you need to get to +16 to get the overrun. The 20 attack stack gives you +12, 2 armor for an extra +2 leaves you 2 points short of a overrun. However if the defending unit is disrupted you get another +2 bonus for that and can then overrun the 3 strength defender.

And all of this goes out the window if Germany plays his offensive chit for then he can do just about anything he wishes in Poland. To the great joy of the allies that has one less offensive to be scared of.

-Orm

So the conclusion for the AI is that 3 strength Polish units are safe to setup in the clear if 1-10 CRT is used. IF the 2D10 CRT is used all 3 strength Polish must be in a City, Forest, Mountain or Swamp hex.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 53
RE: AI for MWIF - Poland - 9/11/2008 6:43:21 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: brian brian

Cut from Raw
11.11.6 Overruns
Overrunning land units
If the defending units include an ARM or HQ-A unit (AsA option 3: or anti-tank unit), you can only overrun them if you have more ARM or HQ-A units.
If the defending units do not include an ARM or HQ-A unit (AsA option 3: or anti-tank unit) but do include a MECH unit, you can only overrun them if you have either:
- an ARM or HQ-A unit; or
- more MECH units.

So long as one unit has "blitz" capability the rest can be any unit with a land combat factor (and the stack has more "armor" than the defending stack).

-Orm

Ah, no 9 pointers in 1939 I see.

---

There is all this concern about the CW builds while defending Poland. Call me naive, but to my way of thinking the most important thing for Germany is time and anything that can be done to steal an impulse from Germany, should be done. What's better: to have an extra HQ to build for the CW and a couple of 'free' pilots, or to have France last an extra turn?

Yeah, Lodz has an extra factory but it also can be attacked from 4 hexes with no river protection. Warsaw only has a single factory but it has 3 hexsides of rivers. A partially failed attack on Warsaw, leaving attack hexes cluttered with disorganized units, can put a real damper on the next attack.

Steve

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 54
RE: AI for MWIF - Poland - 9/11/2008 6:47:38 AM   
peskpesk

quote:

quote:

quote:

-Orm

No.

Steve, nice defence. I will add it as Polish Capital Defence.

Post #: 55
RE: AI for MWIF - Poland - 9/11/2008 4:10:29 PM   
composer99

quote:

There is all this concern about the CW builds while defending Poland. Call me naive, but to my way of thinking the most important thing for Germany is time and anything that can be done to steal an impulse from Germany, should be done. What's better: to have an extra HQ to build for the CW and a couple of 'free' pilots, or to have France last an extra turn?

Yeah, Lodz has an extra factory but it also can be attacked from 4 hexes with no river protection. Warsaw only has a single factory but it has 3 hexsides of rivers. A partially failed attack on Warsaw, leaving attack hexes cluttered with disorganized units, can put a real damper on the next attack.

If the Germans commit enough forces (esp. planes & HQs) to the Polish campaign, they can pretty well mop up the Poles in one turn no matter what the Poles do, save for bad weather & a short turn.

~ Composer99

(in reply to peskpesk)
Post #: 56
RE: AI for MWIF - Poland - 9/11/2008 6:17:59 PM   
peskpesk

* Capital Defence Variant B

Sacrifies the INF DIV in the Forest in order to only give the Germans one hex against Lodz

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by peskpesk -- 9/11/2008 6:18:09 PM >

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 57
RE: AI for MWIF - Poland - 9/11/2008 9:45:04 PM   
brian brian

quote:

Cut from Raw
11.11.6 Overruns
Overrunning land units

sigh. thanks Orm. someday I'll learn how to actually play this game. perhaps it was a ghost of WiF past that only motorized units can overrun, or a similar ghost that maybe tied overrun in with the /*B combat result or something, but I (and my opponents) have played for a long time that leg units couldn't participate in an overrun and never knew any unit stacked with an armored unit could do it.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 58
RE: AI for MWIF - Poland - 9/11/2008 10:08:28 PM   
brian brian

I agree that a certain amount of BPs are always worth trading in for an impulse of the Axis schedule (the whole basis of successful Allied play in the early game), but don't find that this applies in 1939. With the USE chits, the Germans have a dis-incentive on attacking in the West in the two 39 turns. And the weather is so likely to go bad, and lead to Bad Things like Allies Support Attacked Minor, that it's no problem for the Germans to wait until spring for anything aside from subduing Poland.

The issue on the Polish units isn't the BPs; in fact they only get added to the CW force pool upon Ge<>USSR war, so the HQ always costs the CW 5 BPs later. It's just that unit has 2 re-org points, and in WiF that is priceless. And flying the Polish air planes is not very likely to gain anything except throwing out a potential 4 BPs.

It's true that Warsaw has three river hexsides. But I think the extra -1 on the 2d10 (and I think even the 1d10 too?) makes Lodz the stronger defensive hex. And since you need both to conquer the country (something easy to forget, esp. for newer players), I put the best units in Lodz, where that -1 gives you the best chance of disorganized attacking Germans. You have to take Lodz to get a good attack on Warsaw too, exposing all the non-river hexsides of Warsaw. I think any units sacrificed as a screen are best used to prohibit a good attack on Lodz on the first, and only guaranteed clear, impulse, but I still like the Katowice gambit much better, esp. if the German units in Czech. are slow ones.

I do like trading the division for the Lodz screen on the SW side, esp. if a smart German has deployed the heaviest in Silesia, ready for any Polish set-up. I'd probably do that when playing MWiF.

All this goes out the window with a German deployed for a France First. Note though that it is easy for the Germans to bluff this with Rundstedt and/or von Leeb and just a few extra corps (possibly the ones destined for Denmark later in the turn) and planes (those possibly only temporarily) in the West, esp. if they aren't attacking Yugoslavia; they still have enough to easily take out the Poles. I like to do that to help pull the French out of Algeria.

What will be great about MWiF is that it will be so simple to try out small variations on the opening few turns...

Post #: 59
RE: AI for MWIF - Poland - 9/11/2008 11:29:52 PM   
wfzimmerman

Polish marauder defenses? 

Against inexperienced players in other wargames (eg Computer War in Europe), I've observed that occasionally the newb will forget to set up blocking ZOCs and leave a path open to a German resource or port.  The AI should be able to recognize open ZOCs and take advantage of them.

Contribute to the Steve H. thank you book! http://www.nimblebooks.com/wordpress/2009/04/contribute-to-the-wargamers-wwii-quiz-book/

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: AI for MWIF - Poland Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI