Herewith some suggestions from the AGEOD forum:
- Disable or Uninstall antivirus and firewalls (mainly Norton Antivirus and Zone Alarm, the "worst" ones)
- disable logo (via Setup tool, expecially if your DivX codec is not supported by Windows Vista)
- disable musics and sounds if you have low RAM (via Setup tool);
- disable autosave (via Game Options or Setup tool);
- play at LOW game speed, or at least not at high speed;
- try playing in windowed mode (use always Setup tool to set this option);
Anti-virus and firewall (resident) programs, and in theory most resident programs, FREQUENTLY generate popup windows, alerts, onscreen animations etc. etc. THAT CAUSE the game application "loose" the focus from the fullscreen mode. This causes the graphic engine of Great Invasion crashes and the behaviour is always so: the DirectX engine tries to "resize" the 3D environment, fails, the game freezes and then crashes. In some PC is terrific, because the whole OS seems blocked...
Some side notes and tips about antivirus and firewalls:
- these programs often notify automatic updates (both available, or downloaded or to be installed) through popup windows. This "noisy" activity makes the game unstable and mostly causes crashes.
- these antivirus and firewalls are often difficult to be disabled, because they require a lot of settings management (especially Norton Antivirus and Zone Alarm), so that it becomes almost mandatory to uninstalle them!
- most firewalls block multiplayer gaming for Great Invasions, unless customized accordingly.