From: Zagreb, Croatia
Disclaimer : I know very little about the fueling or refueling of WW2 ships (or modern ones for that matter). But...
If the storage tanks had been hit, yeah, that's bad.
But how much of that stuff in PH actually -has- to move?
Those BBs are going to remain seated, that's obvious enough. With severe fuel shortage, you can't send them back to West Coast for a month, so fine, they sit.
Post attack, vs. either capital ships or the fuel farm, the useful ships in PH are
1. Subs. Yes, their torps don't work, but they don't know that. Otherwise, US subs got into the action right off the bat.
2. DDs. It's reasonable to expect enemy sub activity around PH, esp when the tankers are due to arive. So you having fuel for your DDs for ASW and escort would certainly be useful.
3. Cruisers. Mostly to escort your carriers, due to their speed and longer legs of DDs.
1. What's the comperable fuel load of a sub vs. BB? Or DD vs. BB. (if subs run on diesel, what do the BBs run on? Diesel? or something else?) Let's say 70% of your fuel stores are destroyed. My guess is, you've probably got plenty of fuel to refuel your subs several times, given that they don't guzzle like BBs.
2. Your cruisers are your largest drinkers, you might have trouble getting these guys out. Maybe you're limited in the number you can send out, or the range of your strike (so maybe no raids on Kwaj or Marcus as were historical).
3. How much does yankee ingenuity count for? Can you transfer the fuel from less fuel ships, and make it available for your more useful vessels?
4. Tank farms are impressive to see, but (and I have no idea of the layout of PH in 1941), but how much is stored under-ground? I know at MacDill AFB there are some impressive looking fuel tanks, but the reality is, a lot of it is stored underground and doesn't even look like a storage tank.
My main point being that, if you've got enough fuel to run hundreds of ships all over the globe 9on a good day), even if your fuel reserves are crippled, how much fuel does it really take to run the most critical few dozen (that are going to produce the most results), when those ships (probably) aren't your primary guzzelers anyway?
Just asking, I really don't know anything at all about this sort of thing.
IIRC from the thread we discussed this few years back the better target for Japanese would have been the repair shops and the tank farm would be next best one...
Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!
A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE