Matrix Games Forums

More Games are Coming to Steam! Deal of the Week: Combat Command Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great WarDeal of the Week Panzer CorpsNew Strategy Titles Join the FamilyTablet Version of Qvadriga gets new patchNew Command Ops: Battles from the Bulge UpdateCommand gets a huge update!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

1st Battalion Ala Artillery, Army of Alabama

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> 1st Battalion Ala Artillery, Army of Alabama Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
1st Battalion Ala Artillery, Army of Alabama - 8/21/2008 9:29:20 AM   
barker

1st Alabama Artillery Battalion

The 1st Alabama Artillery Battalion, Companies "A"-"F", was recruited in Mobile, Montgomery, Selma, and Eufaula, part of the "Army of Alabama," and it was organized about the 1st of February 1861, at Fort Morgan. In March 1861, the command was transferred to the Confederate government as "regulars". Stationed at Fort Morgan and its dependencies in or near Mobile throughout the war, the battalion attained a high degree of discipline, insomuch that Union Gen'l Gordon Granger pronounced it the most perfect body of either army. Detachments of it manned the heavy artillery at Forts Gaines and Powell and rendered effective service. During the terrific bombardment of Fort Morgan, August, 1864, the battalion, "moved by no weak fears," handled the guns until they were all knocked out of position, losing 150 k and w of about 500 engaged. The men were taken to Elmira, New York, where fully half died of smallpox (officers were taken to Fort Warren). A small detachment, not captured, continued the fight at Spanish Fort and Fort Blakely. A small number moved to Choctaw Bluff in March 1865 and were included in the surrender of the Dept. of Alabama, Mississippi, and East Louisiana.

Post #: 1
RE: 1st Battalion Ala Artillery, Army of Alabama - 8/21/2008 8:54:38 PM   
bjmorgan

Hey barker.  If you want a good laugh (at the expense of the blue-bellied, yellow-backed, shop keeper invaders), read up on the Sabine Pass fiasco.  One battery against a brigade and several gunboats.  Here's a hint: the brigade lost.

(in reply to barker)
Post #: 2
RE: 1st Battalion Ala Artillery, Army of Alabama - 8/21/2008 10:12:01 PM   
barker

I know I posted it, 2nd battle of Sabine. they got dem dare blue no count good fur nuffin yellow goat licking bellie a run fur dare muny

(in reply to bjmorgan)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> 1st Battalion Ala Artillery, Army of Alabama Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI