Matrix Games Forums

More Games are Coming to Steam! Deal of the Week: Combat Command Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great WarDeal of the Week Panzer CorpsNew Strategy Titles Join the FamilyTablet Version of Qvadriga gets new patchNew Command Ops: Battles from the Bulge UpdateCommand gets a huge update!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Has anyone here ever played High Command?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> WW2: Road to Victory >> Has anyone here ever played High Command? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Has anyone here ever played High Command? - 8/20/2008 3:44:05 AM   
geozero

Just wondering... it's an old PC game but had a lot of really nice (albeit hard coded) events and stuff. Great diplomacy ideas on how to influence countries too.

If the engine could be tweaked to allow any number of "events" that the player could decide on it would be great, and somewhat similar to HOI2 mods. However, these might be implemented in an official patch otehrwise PBEM might be a bit crazy.

I'm really liking the progress I see here in various ideas and tweaks.

"I keep re-inventing myself"
Post #: 1
RE: Has anyone here ever played High Command? - 8/20/2008 5:21:56 AM   
GJK

HC had some nice ideas in it, but with a very weak AI. I always preferred Clash of Steel and I think that R2V captures a lot of what COS offered and I think that with updates, it can finally be a true COS update. It just seems to me that the developers of R2V started out making a COS "clone" (update, that would run on Windows) and then about 3/4 of the way through the project either opted to change direction to make it uniquely their own, or perhaps they felt the need to quickly sew up what they had while leaving the rest in a state of incompleteness. No knock on commrade, doomtrader and others involved; I just think it's no big secret that some things could stand some improving upon here and a tip of the hat to them for listening to our requests and trying to implement what most of us want.

(in reply to geozero)
Post #: 2
RE: Has anyone here ever played High Command? - 8/20/2008 5:36:11 AM   
geozero

Yep, HC's AI was weak, but their production and diplomacy was really good for the time this game came out (in 1992). Even after 16 years of games, this one is still a pretty good one to play.

"I keep re-inventing myself"

(in reply to GJK)
Post #: 3
RE: Has anyone here ever played High Command? - 8/20/2008 6:04:23 AM   
wargamer123

Yeah HC's AI was weak... As far as I recall... The interface was very smooth for the time was one of the few ETO's aside from Third Reich in the 90s.. I really liked it. Bad that you couldn't PBEM

I do not recall the Political system, but perhaps I neglected it altogether

Strategic Command 1 was a lot like HC and Third Reich in my opinion, and with full IP capability. CEAW was next but I couldn't get it to work on my PC.. SC2 is too much of hybrid to compare to these types of games....and now you have this, in the genre of Hexagon, or old fashion ETO/Strategic/Smaller Tactical WW2 games... I am watching this with some concern! Not sure it

(in reply to geozero)
Post #: 4
RE: Has anyone here ever played High Command? - 8/20/2008 1:33:37 PM   
winky51

HC, blek!
CoS, that was good.  I actually still have it.
SC2, CEAW, nice design, layout, But I hate naval systems like that.  If you ever played (board game) World in Flames that has the best naval system as a balance for this scale I have ever seen.  (board game) ETO-PTO had all the ships individually, DDs, CAs, CVEs, DEs, on a smaller scale but it was an el-destructo fest in the ocean.  Their naval combat system was long tedious and irraticating.  In 3 months a whole navy could be wiped out.  As for PC games SC2 is my choise even though CEAW looks better if I play the PC.  Heads up probably CEAW.  I think SC2 is more flexible and you can better individualize units without much hassle.  CEAW has oil and manpower.

My god I think I just rambled on.

(in reply to wargamer123)
Post #: 5
RE: Has anyone here ever played High Command? - 8/21/2008 12:04:23 PM   
sterckxe

quote:

ORIGINAL: GJK
... or perhaps they felt the need to quickly sew up what they had while leaving the rest in a state of incompleteness.

This is what kept me from buying it - now that the patch is out I'll see what the old-timers have to say about it and will probably jump in after the weekend - the omens are good on this one

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

(in reply to GJK)
Post #: 6
RE: Has anyone here ever played High Command? - 8/21/2008 1:16:02 PM   
apathetic lurker

My favorite part was the chrome... The National Anthems when you declared war on an oponent. I know it sounds trite but things like that help sell the game for me.

(in reply to sterckxe)
Post #: 7
RE: Has anyone here ever played High Command? - 8/21/2008 10:17:03 PM   
jchastain

Clash of Steel was an excellent game.  For any interested in game design, I have always found the following analysis of CoS to be quite insightful.

http://www.grognard.com/info1/steel.pdf

(in reply to apathetic lurker)
Post #: 8
RE: Has anyone here ever played High Command? - 8/21/2008 10:51:20 PM   
PDiFolco

Sure I played it to death - or rather to the stupid AI death, that let the RN sits in Southern England to get killed by my Luftwaffe !
But at that time it was a hell of a wargame still...
Like some other ppl here, I eventually preferred CoS which was more of a challenge, and quite faster to play.
Nowadays we still have Schwerpunkt games that are visually reminiscent of HC ...

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> WW2: Road to Victory >> Has anyone here ever played High Command? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI