Matrix Games Forums

Pandora: Eclipse of Nashira is now availableDistant Worlds Gets another updateHell is Approaching Deal of the Week Battle Academy Battle Academy 2 Out now!Legions of Steel ready for betaBattle Academy 2 gets trailers and Steam page!Deal of the Week Germany at WarSlitherine Group acquires Shenandoah StudioNew information and screenshots for Pike & Shot
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

true fun

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> true fun Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
true fun - 8/18/2008 6:00:29 PM   
dougq

This game really is a lot of fun. I am not brilliant at these games, but I have figured out most of the mechanics.

Still having a lot of trouble with supply in the long run. I was playing the civil war 2 scenario which I love. I had good operational tempo to shatter formations before they could buff up much. I started at los angeles and had conquered all the way to the minneapolis/new orleans line. I was definitely winning.

Then my main HQ, which was engaged in ops around new orleans ran out of supply and the whole effort collapsed.

I have a hard time keeping my HQs from filling up with force, and hence tend to engage them.

Do I need a clean chain of subordinate HQs from my core all the way to the front separated by ten hexes on roads or not? Not sure what I am doing wrong.
Post #: 1
RE: true fun - 8/18/2008 7:50:12 PM   
british exil

first read this thread.
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1723339

I found it very helpful.
Don't let your units wander too far away from their HQ's, esp when they have left the roads. Getting stuck in the mountains, swamps or plains can really drain the AP. You have to move your army to help a stuck division then.

Try to move your HQ with your army. The units fight better when the HQ is right behind them, 3 hexes radius. (If I remember correctly)

Mech forces, air forces and navies really suck up your supplies. Try putting your rear forces on 50% supplies till they reach the frontline. Remember to make a note of this otherwise they won't be getting enough bullets when the make contact with the enemy. Change to 100% before it's too late.

Also mentioned in the thread above.

I hope I could help you out.

Mat

"It is not enough to expect a man to pay for the best, you must also give him what he pays for." Alfred Dunhill

WitE,UV,AT,ATG,FoF,FPCRS

(in reply to dougq)
Post #: 2
RE: true fun - 8/18/2008 9:25:15 PM   
dougq

Great. Thanks for the link. My basic conceptualization was correct, but I had some of the numbers wrong. I can stage HQs about 25 road hexes apart. That will make things way more magageable.

One problem I have is that I end up screwing up a good heirarchy for short-term practical needs. Sure my supreme HQ can go up and fight in Seattle. I'll just move it back to a central location later. Problem is it never happens and my supply heirarchy gets ruined.

I also was not routing ALL supply through the supreme HQ. That is a good idea and I will start doing that. You dont want to route all ground units that way though, because they dont get distributed free. As it is I don't think I devote enough to transport capacity, because as I said earlier I have a hard time keeping my HQ cleared out of equipment.

This game really is addictive. I am not brave enough to fight real people. I would get slaughtered...

doug

(in reply to british exil)
Post #: 3
RE: true fun - 8/20/2008 1:17:27 AM   
jamus34

quote:

ORIGINAL: dougq

Great. Thanks for the link. My basic conceptualization was correct, but I had some of the numbers wrong. I can stage HQs about 25 road hexes apart. That will make things way more magageable.

One problem I have is that I end up screwing up a good heirarchy for short-term practical needs. Sure my supreme HQ can go up and fight in Seattle. I'll just move it back to a central location later. Problem is it never happens and my supply heirarchy gets ruined.

I also was not routing ALL supply through the supreme HQ. That is a good idea and I will start doing that. You dont want to route all ground units that way though, because they dont get distributed free. As it is I don't think I devote enough to transport capacity, because as I said earlier I have a hard time keeping my HQ cleared out of equipment.

This game really is addictive. I am not brave enough to fight real people. I would get slaughtered...

doug

This is where I'm having some difficulties. I understand the reasoning behind directing all town's supply production to go to the Supreme HQ (SHQ) however if there are any units selected for product won't they get distributed too? And if the SHQ is too far away the units disappear if there is not enough landcap?

(in reply to dougq)
Post #: 4
RE: true fun - 8/20/2008 11:31:52 AM   
Banquet

A lot of the time I think you have to do what the situation dictates. I personally find it easier to have everything (supplies and production) routed to my supreme HQ, and build a big depot of trucks there so I have enough landcap to re-direct the equipment, be they replacements or for new units, from the SHQ to where-ever they need to go.

However, other players may like to set towns close to their subordinate HQ's to provide them with supplies and re-inforcements. This has the advantage that they're closer and so need less landcap.. but it also means that every sub HQ has got to have enough trucks/horses/halftracks to give enough landcap to redistribute it all to their units..

It really depends on how you like to play, and the situation at hand. In a recent game I had a large part of my army cut off from the SHQ when the AI landed a seaborne invasion and cut my forces in half. The only way to stop my western forces from being cut off and killed was to re-route supplies and production in certain towns from the SHQ to the sub HQ controlling that part of the army.

You don't need landcap to send anything a town produces to an HQ, you need it to get the stuff from the HQ to the units you want to put them in. A town does need to be able to trace a supply route to the HQ though. If it can't you don't lose the units it's produced, but they sit in storage until a supply route is open.

That's how I understand it anyway. Reading a strategy guide is great, but it's not necessarily the only way to play. One of the great features of AT is that it's very flexible in catering for different styles, especially in the HQ structure and production and redistribution area's.

< Message edited by Banquet -- 8/20/2008 11:33:42 AM >

http://i904.photobucket.com/albums/ac241/norfolktraveller/command-banner_zps8a55d0fa.jpg

(in reply to jamus34)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> true fun Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI