Which was more stable Talonsoft or MCS

This forum is for official support and troubleshooting FAQs.

Moderator: Jason Petho

marcbarker

Which was more stable Talonsoft or MCS

Post by marcbarker »

In my most humble opinion I got more stability out of the Talonsoft version then the Matrix version. I am steadily getting erros on games. I have reinstalled and reinstalled but to no avail. Most of the errors occur in West Front , Followed by Rising Sun. Granted I play DCG's vs Scenarios but that should not be relavent. I think the game was released prematurely prior to working some of the issues. We are getting ready for a 1.04 update....hmmmm initial release 1.01 1.02 1.02a 1.02b intermediate fixes, 1.03 and now 1.04...hmmm makes one wonder is all. Talonsoft did not have this many issues in such a short time frame. Just a though is all
games:
1. AGEOD Blue and Gray
2. John Tiller's Battleground Series
3. Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord
4. Combat Mission: Barbarossa to Berlin
5. V for Victory Games
6. Silent Hunter III
7. Silent Hunter IV
8. Rise and Fall of the Third Re
Chris21wen

RE: Which was more stable Talonsoft or MCS

Post by Chris21wen »

ORIGINAL: barker

In my most humble opinion I got more stability out of the Talonsoft version then the Matrix version. I am steadily getting erros on games. I have reinstalled and reinstalled but to no avail. Most of the errors occur in West Front , Followed by Rising Sun. Granted I play DCG's vs Scenarios but that should not be relavent. I think the game was released prematurely prior to working some of the issues. We are getting ready for a 1.04 update....hmmmm initial release 1.01 1.02 1.02a 1.02b intermediate fixes, 1.03 and now 1.04...hmmm makes one wonder is all. Talonsoft did not have this many issues in such a short time frame. Just a though is all

Can't remeber Talonsoft version very well, been a long time since I played it but I thought it didn't play well. I've not played WF or RS yet but I don't have any problems with EF and that's under Vista.
simovitch

Post by simovitch »

In the past year the team has fixed over 100 errors in the Talonsoft OOB's alone - ones that would cause the DCG games to crash, ones that would cause forces to disappear, ones that would skip over organic transport, and on and on.

Not until Arkady produced some long needed diagnostic programs were we finally able to see just how extensive the problems were with the OOB's and the units. It was disheartening at best, but these have been fixed.

Even the old Talonsoft cronies said the mysterious bugs could never be ironed out, but we found the needles in the haystack and increased the stability and accuracy of the game many times over. Most of these fixes will only be recognized by people who design new scenarios or play DCG's and random battles, but that is a significant percentage of the players so we felt that the time and effort was worth it.

I think 1.04 responds well to the majority opinions on the problems with 1.03. Much of the contaversey could have been reduced by labelling 1.03 as a 'public beta patch' which is essentially what it turned out to be.
simovitch

Huib

Post by Huib »

I have not had a single crash since JTCS came out and I play it every day. I must admit that crashes with the old Talonsoft version were also very rare on my systems. I have XP on all 3 computers and I don't play DCG's.
I am not aware on any issue regarding stability of the game. The updates 1.01 to 1.04 also have nothing to do with stability fixes. The only stability related issue in 1.01 was to make the game Vista compatible.

I have not heard many others about frequent game crashes, so perhaps there is something on your system that causes a conflict with JCTS?

Huib
marcbarker

Post by marcbarker »

It is how the files get read on Vista...I have narrowed it to that...All the real fixes seem to be in Task specific scenarios with a gloss over on DCG. ON lcg's I have problem after problem and gave up most in west front.....The OOB's granted is time consuming and appreciated. Now what maybe happening in these files from time to time is a file is trying to read that has a typo.....
games:
1. AGEOD Blue and Gray
5. V for Victory Games
6. Silent Hunter III
7. Silent Hunter IV
andym

Post by andym »

I have had no crashes at all,i play all scenarios and both of the types of Campaign.So far no probelms at all.
Press to Test...............Release to Detonate!
marcbarker

Post by marcbarker »

I think I will install it on my XP and see if I get the same type of errors.
games:
1. AGEOD Blue and Gray
5. V for Victory Games
6. Silent Hunter III
7. Silent Hunter IV
Huib

Post by Huib »

ORIGINAL: barker

I think I will install it on my XP and see if I get the same type of errors.

That might be the best thing for now. Obviously if the game is proven to perform worse on Vista systems, the developers need to look into that sooner or later.
I didn't realize you had Vista as the Talonsoft version is unplayable on Vista.
marcbarker

Post by marcbarker »

Yeppers.....strange huh
games:
1. AGEOD Blue and Gray
5. V for Victory Games
6. Silent Hunter III
7. Silent Hunter IV
jchastain

Post by jchastain »

I too have never had an error since working through the initial "white flash" problem on vista.  Game runs great for me.
yeats

Post by yeats »

I'm getting a little confused here - the last update I heard of was 1.03 and it had some bugs to be ironed out (assault issues and some other stuff - Is 1.04 out or the quick fix to 1.03?
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

ORIGINAL: yeats

I'm getting a little confused here - the last update I heard of was 1.03 and it had some bugs to be ironed out (assault issues and some other stuff - Is 1.04 out or the quick fix to 1.03?

The next update, the 1.04 UPDATE, will be released in a couple/few weeks.

Stay tuned.

Jason Petho
Zap

Post by Zap »

Confused! as well. With this talk of stability. I have been considering the purchase of said game. Theres a but. And it is after reading many threads and posts is the overall concencise that this game is moving in the right direction?

I have been waiting, looking from the outside-in and at times the impression I get is confusing. And as you know impressions came make or break a sale with some.
borsook79

Post by borsook79 »

I for one get frequent crashes when using the "next unit" button, other than that never had any.
"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - G.B. Shaw
marcbarker

Post by marcbarker »

Well, I do get less crashes on Xp then Vista......I understand the necessity of the upgrade to 32 and 64bit, but instead of upgrading certain parts of each program it would have been more fesable to, in my very sheepish opinion, to have used one engine for the upgrade, after all the bugs on that one engine were resolved then incorporate the other secondary files into that system, for example:

1. Map Editor - Make one map editor with a drop down that can be used on all fronts at all times. It may do that now I do not know.

2. Game Engine - Stabalize the best gaming engine, East Front, Incorprate West front Rules and OOB's Etc, Maps what have you. Now you have a stable engine with 2 games on one platform. The Rising Sun Incoorporation. This may Take awhile but it would be worth it for updates to rule changes. You could do the rule changes to effect global lines of code for all 3 game systems.

3. OOB Editor - Change that Sucker...Jason You said yourself that you use an ASCI Text Editor instead of the Editor...Why? Too cumbersome, Too Slow, Not User freindly?  If it is not liked then rewrite it and change it to a more freindly and Interactive GUI?

This is just a fleeting thought thought from a mind that has been on too much caffeine the past 3 days....too many hours at work...lol
games:
1. AGEOD Blue and Gray
5. V for Victory Games
6. Silent Hunter III
7. Silent Hunter IV
1925frank

Post by 1925frank »

ORIGINAL: Borsook

I for one get frequent crashes when using the "next unit" button, other than that never had any.

LarryP reported a problem with the "next unit" button as well. His thread is in the support section. I never use the "next unit" button. I push "T" to see the thermometers, and I use the organizational button on the bottom to see where companion units are.

I use XP and have never had any problem with crashes. The only problem I had was the cavalry firing loop which was supposedly corrected with 1.03. My understanding was that most, if not all, of the crashes were associated with the Dynamic Campaigns. My understanding there is the EF Dynamic Campaigns are fixed (provided you use Matrix OOB), and the WF and RS will be fixed. Most of the complaints I read were with the EF Dynamic Campaigns, so I'm not even sure of a problem or the extent of a problem in WF and RS.
scottintacoma

Post by scottintacoma »

Borsook,

What operating system do you use. I use XP, and have never had a problem with the next unit button.

Scott in tAcoma

marcbarker

Post by marcbarker »

All the fixes to all the problems...hmmm will be in the next update...stay tuned for the expansion pack with the update in which you will have to pay additional money for and oh let us not forget the next update for the minor tweak of a tweak that may require a tweak that somehow may need a nudge to go in a specifc way to the next update which requires a new version of of a service pack to another update
games:
1. AGEOD Blue and Gray
5. V for Victory Games
6. Silent Hunter III
7. Silent Hunter IV
borsook79

Post by borsook79 »

ORIGINAL: scottgibson

Borsook,

What operating system do you use. I use XP, and have never had a problem with the next unit button.

Scott in tAcoma

I have reported the problem in the support section too, anyway I use Win XP SP3. The next unit button seems to work fine most of the time, but esp when I have moved majority of units it does CTD the game. If I save just before that reload it sometimes CTDs again but usually not...
"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - G.B. Shaw
marcbarker

Post by marcbarker »

Great for that fix in the DCG's......I know alot of the fixes are for scenario specific stuff, but incorporate those in the DCG's WoooHooo!!!!!........
1. Is there a way to edit the Random map for the DCG to incoorporate trains , fuel dumps etc?
2. When design your own scenario and in the map editor where is these new fangled wiz bag thingys that the fixes are in for?
I will take my answer off line

thanks
games:
1. AGEOD Blue and Gray
5. V for Victory Games
6. Silent Hunter III
7. Silent Hunter IV

Return to “John Tiller’s Campaign Series Support”