Matrix Games Forums

Pandora: Eclipse of Nashira gets release dateCommunity impressions of To End All WarsAgeod's To End All Wars is now availableTo End All Wars is now available!Deal of the Week: Field of GloryTo End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!Ageod's To End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!To End All Wars: Artillery Battle Academy 2: Eastern Front - End of Early Access Space Program Manager unveils its multiplayer modes
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Upgrade versus Replacement

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Upgrade versus Replacement Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Upgrade versus Replacement - 8/7/2008 1:14:44 AM   
jchastain

Does anyone know what the specific difference is between a unit upgrade (with a + sign, normally done for combat units) and a replacement (without a plus sign, often done with command platoons) in a DCG? I've seen the official oob do it both ways.

To be clear, I am hoping to understand what the difference is between:

41 12 42 12 + C0002041 1st Company
43 01 45 05 C0002044 1st Company

and

41 12 42 12 C0002041 1st Company
43 01 45 05 C0002044 1st Company

In either case, C0002041 is replaced by C0002044 in Jan, 1943. I would assume that the difference might include things like...

• An upgrade likely should prevent going "backwards" when the upgrades represent better % changes for a change of better equipment
  • An upgrade might keep its current strength level (ie. losses are not replaced) and/or morale

I could test these hypotheses, but before I do so I figure I might as well ask here and see if anyone already knows the answer.

Thanks.
Post #: 1
RE: Upgrade versus Replacement - 8/7/2008 1:52:01 AM   
simovitch

jchastain, this is a good question. As best I can tell they have the same intended result, except....

Only the + type upgrades should appear in the forces that are available for selection of your core group at the start of a DCG. They sort of "link" the chain of development of a force throughout the duration of the DCG. If a force does not upgrade throughout the duration of the DCG (like 9/39 - 5/45 for barbarossa) they simply will not be selectable as your core force at the start of the DCG.

The other is a straight replacement of the unit with an entirely new unit. This works fine for standard OOB's for scenario design or the generation of non-core forces, but they usually don't show up in DCG specific OOB's.

simovitch

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Upgrade versus Replacement Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI