Gaming Junkies...decades? whats ur Drug?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

ANZAC_Tack

Gaming Junkies...decades? whats ur Drug?

Post by ANZAC_Tack »

just posted a reply to bang for buck game wise.

noticed some civ II junkie said hes been at it 10 years!

i been playing 1 series close to 12 years, close combat. But CCV is the one i have been hooked on 5 years really per definition of a single game.

H2H hundrens of hours lost(mostly waiting in australia)
tens of thousands playing Grand campains against the AI, or testing beta's.

that would be like 1c or less per hour 'bang for buck'

whats your obsession?

ps there was a site for CC widoe's...my wife thought it was for after she killed me though...
ANZAC_Tack
HansBolter

RE: Gaming Junkies...decades? whats ur Drug?

Post by HansBolter »

Would have to be Avalon Hill's Third Reich.

Played it for well over 25 years.
Hans

ANZAC_Tack

Post by ANZAC_Tack »

what on a apple IIe?

joking, board game i assume?

CC series is always changing, people make awsome mods that change germans v us to germans v brits, or russians,japanese,australians,viet cong,and in theatres from ww1,mostly ww2,korea,vietnam,iraq, and even a tripped out star wars and warhammer. i think some 100 mods over the series, maps also being made weekly, i got some gee...1000+ sets for series. not like its ground hog day.
ANZAC_Tack
terje439

Post by terje439 »

Civ series for 17 years from release of Civ up to Civ IV.
Panzer General - 14 years, still play it [:)]
"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")
ANZAC_Tack

Post by ANZAC_Tack »

basically, whats civ, i basically know PG is a hex ww2.

hex drives me batty. shooters seem so lame. i really like how some are 3d but tilted high almost 2d style. the new civil war game looks good, the demo video blew me away,but whats the game play like? is it all strategy?

yeah, we need professional help....

ANZAC_Tack
Peter Fisla

Post by Peter Fisla »

Advanced Squad Leader, Close Combat series  - can't live without those two!
105mm Howitzer

Post by 105mm Howitzer »

Amen to that, Anzac. Like Terje, been a Civ man since it came out ( Civ 1-4, Alpha Centauri as well) Also overindulged in MOO,and now I'm friggin addicted to WoW.
Board games include (what else) Civ board game, but especially AH Squad Leader ( and COI)
Ah, to be young and foolish again.
"Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum" - Publius Renatus, 390 A.D.
Moster

Post by Moster »

Patrician 3
MadmanRick

Post by MadmanRick »

Harpoon....been playing it pretty much continiously since like 90 or 91, that's for 'puter games. For board games it would have to be the Fleet series by Victory or Third World War series by GDW, I played those for like 15 years each and only stopped, when our family added cats to the mix. They are the "nukes" and they do a great job destroying all that lies before them! Perhaps when we get a house that has an extra room for ME alone, then I can set them up again and geek it up as my wife likes to say!
"Our lives begin to end the moment we become silent about things that matter". Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
terje439

Post by terje439 »

ORIGINAL: 105mm Howitzer

Board games include (what else) Civ board game

[&o][&o][&o][&o][&o]
Always play this when/if I attend the biggest game-con in Norway. A great game.
Also play Britannia whenever I can as a boardgame.
"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")
andym

Post by andym »

Avalon Hills Kingmaker,i had to buy a second copy as the 1st one wore out!!!
Press to Test...............Release to Detonate!
TonyE

Post by TonyE »

Civ II - still play it and purchased it within a month of when it was released. 

Harpoon (Classic) - 17ish years and counting

Rescue Raiders (Apple IIe) - I usually play it on an emulator but I still have the disk and an Apple IIc when I feel the need to really get the experience.

Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
Harpoon (HC, HCE, HUCE, Classic) programmer
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner
YohanTM2

Post by YohanTM2 »

World in Flames.

Played it since it first came out. Just ordered the FE version and can't wait for MWiF.
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

ORIGINAL: MadmanRick

Harpoon....been playing it pretty much continiously since like 90 or 91, that's for 'puter games. For board games it would have to be the Fleet series by Victory or Third World War series by GDW, I played those for like 15 years each and only stopped, when our family added cats to the mix. They are the "nukes" and they do a great job destroying all that lies before them! Perhaps when we get a house that has an extra room for ME alone, then I can set them up again and geek it up as my wife likes to say!

OMG you're the first peron I've encountered in years who played Thrid World War. I loved that game and still have it on the shelf.
Hans

mikul82

Post by mikul82 »

I play the original Fallout games (1 and 2) near religiously since they came out, over and over all the time.  Same for the Civ series in one incarnation or another, although I think I must have played Civ 2 for a good 10 yrs or so.  I also play the old Koei game "Uncharted Waters II: New Horizons" quite often, and of course Mortal Kombat II, which I've been hooked on since I was 10 or 11 yrs old (that's about 15 yrs for that game in particular).  I've played the Campaign Series consistently as well since I first bought West Front back when it came out.  I'm only 25 so can't claim 20+ years in any particular game yet, give me some time though ;)

I also play Europa Barbarorum for Rome TW religiously to the point of dreaming about the game.  With the mod to have it run under the "Alexander" .exe, the AI actually becomes a potent force on the strategic map, and I've actually lost a campaign in the game, which NEVER happened once, or even close, with the RTW.exe. 
goodwoodrw

Post by goodwoodrw »

Over the years PG series has occupied my playing time the most. My missus and I shacked up together 18 years ago and her earliest memory of my addiction to computer war gaming was the incoming alert from Harpoon. She got to hate that sound so much[:D] Oh yer and then there was a game called Combat Mission, TCIP games almost cost me my marriage. The original demo of CM Overlord, I don't think there are 3 scenarios I've played more, with the exception of some PG scenarios.
Ron
Formerly Goodwood

Brigz

Post by Brigz »

Been playing Advanced Squad Leader for about 20 years now. Play it just about every week. If you count the original Squad Leader games, then it's 30+ years.

Started playing PanzerBlitz when it first came out and am still playing it now by Vassal. Although not continuous play, I've been playing PanzerBlitz on and off over a 40 year period.

But ASL is the only game I've played on a continuous basis without stop. You have to or you will forget all the rules. And after 20 years we are still looking up and arguing rules.[:)]

@HansBolter:
I have all the GDW Third World War series. Excellent games. Even put all the boards together for a massive campaign one time. Never do that again. GDW was probably my favorite game company.

As far as computer games go, although not on a continuous basis, I've played the John Tiller Civil War Battles (original and HPS) the most. I get around to playing one of them every now and then ever since the first Gettysburg game was put out by Talonsoft.
“You're only young once but you can be immature for as long as you want”
BoredStiff

Post by BoredStiff »

ORIGINAL: ANZAC_Tack

whats your obsession?
Although I haven't played it in years, the game I've spent the most time playing since getting my first computer in 1985 is:

BoredStiff

MadmanRick

Post by MadmanRick »

ORIGINAL: Dave Briggs

@HansBolter:
I have all the GDW Third World War series. Excellent games. Even put all the boards together for a massive campaign one time. Never do that again. GDW was probably my favorite game company.

Dave,
In my mind the combined game is THE only way to go with GDW's Third World War. I've played it that way both solo and with others and I love it. Great way to spend some serious time.
"Our lives begin to end the moment we become silent about things that matter". Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
ANZAC_Tack

Post by ANZAC_Tack »

we need help dont we?

...bugga that! i like my VL world to much...
ANZAC_Tack

Return to “General Discussion”