Jim D Burns
From: Salida, CA.
Here’s my wish list for the game after spending a few hours with it:
1. A text document covering all possible in game events. It’s kind of silly to spend political points on activating a neutral if an in game event is going to fire off and activate it later (Italy). On the other hand if there is no in game event and you think there should be (Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria, etc.) it would be nice to know you should be spending points to get those neutrals in game. I’m almost to the end of 1941 and none of Germany’s minors have entered play. Unfortunately I spent most of my points on Spain because I assumed an event would bring in the historical minors.
2. Display unit locations with country specific colored dots on the mini map.
3. A global list that shows all upgradable units. And another list that shows all under-strength units. You would/should be able to spend points on the units from this list without having to search all over the map, so the actual cost should also be displayed.
4. There should be some indication if an enemy fleet is present in an area. Not exact numbers, but perhaps a color-coded outline (based on a comparison to the size of your total fleet)such as green, yellow, red. Green would be a small presence, yellow about the same size as you total fleet and red indicates a very large fleet presence. Subs of course would not be a part of this calculation.
5. Please make country borders darker, thicker and permanent. It makes no sense to have to switch between country borders and control borders. If country borders were displayed as permanent lines color-coded for their country on the actual terrain tiles, then you could always have the control border active and use both at the same time.
6. Allow a minimum of one strategic move per minor. The idea that any European minor (even Slovakia) did not have enough rolling stock on hand to rail at least a single division in 1939 is ludicrous. And spending 50 PP when your income is only 1.5 is simply too severe, so please give every country at least 1 SMP at start.
7. Get rid of the auto attack with a single mouse click. All attacks should have to be initiated by selecting the defender first. The current auto-attack feature constantly causes accidental devastating attacks when you are looking through dense concentrations of units and you accidently click a defender. If all attacks required a defending unit first be selected, then the extra click needed would cut down a lot on these devastating accidents. Color coding the group attack dot to red or orange to indicate a unit can only attack by itself would help a lot too.
8. Some kind of air recon should be auto-flown at the start of the turn. It’s silly to play with a 4 hex limit because you’ll never see an enemy air unit to attack it. So gaining air superiority before a landing is nearly impossible if your opponent keeps his airforce 25 hexes inland. A small chance of spotting units further than 4 hexes from a friendly unit if it is within range of friendly air would be a nice feature. That way if your opponent is 25 hexes inland, you can attack units you spot 10 hexes inland to generate an air battle over the hex to help win air superiority if that’s your goal.
9. Please make the one week turns last from March-October. As things are now, there aren’t enough turns to get the historical job done, due to how fast time moves with 2 week turns for most of the game. Getting Denmark and Norway done before attacking France is nearly impossible due to the two week (and eventually one month) turn spread, if turns were one week for the months listed, there would be time to get it all done before going into France. The rest of the time turns should be two weeks.
I can’t think of any more right now, but I’m sure more will come as I get further into the game.
Initial impressions are good so far, kudos on a job well done.
< Message edited by Jim D Burns -- 7/26/2008 1:31:48 PM >