Memoir '44

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

JudgeDredd

Memoir '44

Post by JudgeDredd »

After being somewhat disillusioned over the past year os so with computer gaming (not just wargames)...always looking for that something extra but never finding it, I've decided to retry boardgaming.

So I've just bought Memoir '44 for myself and hopefully my daughter will get into it.

Just wanted to know, I think a few people have it here...any tips? Especially for solo play in case the daughter doesn't get on with it.

Anyone got the expansions?
Alba gu' brath
Marc von Martial

RE: Memoir '44

Post by Marc von Martial »

You should also check out "Lock and Load" series and "Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear!". Both highly recommended and solitaire playable.
sabre1

Post by sabre1 »

Dredd,

I love/loved board games.  There is flat out no one in my area to play with, so I keep plugging away with computer games.  My son who is in college, likes RTS games.  I have tried solitaire with board games, but just can't seem to enjoy it.

I have been meaning to ask you about AT and TOAW and what you thought about those games, since I have your undivided attention. Thanks!
Combat Command Matrix Edition Company, The Forgotten Few
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

No-one here either...but I heard solo on Memoir was alright.

As for Advanced Tactics, I never got on with it. Complete waste of money for me (as have been many games of late if I was to be a grumpy sod). Plenty of people will disagree though. I will give it it's dues in that it seems to have extensive replayability. But I couldn't get over the factions names "Hindu Liberals" versus "Chritian Clackers" and that sort of thing...whacky names...put me right off.

As for ToaW it's a classic and has been around for some time, but content is huge and worth a punt. Ai is half decent as well. I always like to fire it up now and again...and I'm afraid that's what I do with most of my games now.

I was so bored with my collection of computer games the other night, I even sat and watched cricket....and not the "exciting" 20-20 either...this is proper drawn out test cricket! [:D]
Alba gu' brath
cdbeck

Post by cdbeck »

Even my war and wargame hating wife likes Memoir '44, and the ease of play and speed of play make it a great sort of wargame/boardgame lite. You should not have any trouble getting the daughter to play.

One suggestion, I would NOT get the Air Combat expansion (can't remember its name) until you have gotten into the game and gotten your second player fairly well versed in the ideas and concepts. From the reviews I read (I don't have it yet) it seems that the Air Combat expansion adds many general rules in a new rule set that complicates the gameplay, getting it closer to more "hardcore" games like Tide of Iron. It might be good for you, but it might drive off the daughter.

SoM
"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet!"
(Kill them all. God will know his own.)

-- Arnaud-Armaury, the Albigensian Crusade
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

I had a blast with Memoir '44 and it's definitely a good introduction to wargaming for non-wargamers.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
GJK

Post by GJK »

No opponents nearby? Play Memoir (and other boardgames) online using VASSAL. Didn't Matrix sign some kind of licensing agreement with Rodney Kinney (VASSAL) a couple of years ago- curious if anything is being done with that.

Tip for online play - grab Skype and voice chat during your play - it's pretty close to actually sitting at the table together as it keeps alive what I think is the best part of boardgaming; the interaction between the opponents.
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer
EagleMountainDK

Post by EagleMountainDK »

Thanks GJK, I was right about saying the same! Use Vassal....

Cheers
Mark
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

Memoir '44 has just shown up. I haven't been this excited about gaming in quite some time. Tha last time I played a board game was in the early 1990s
Alba gu' brath
Widell

Post by Widell »

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd
As for Advanced Tactics, I never got on with it. Complete waste of money for me (as have been many games of late if I was to be a grumpy sod). Plenty of people will disagree though. I will give it it's dues in that it seems to have extensive replayability. But I couldn't get over the factions names "Hindu Liberals" versus "Chritian Clackers" and that sort of thing...whacky names...put me right off.

My bet is that AT will become much more value for money scenarios etc is developed by the community forming around the game. I'd say we check back in a year and see what things are like. I recognize the feeling of being a grumpy old fart this summer, and have not had the computer game monkey on my back for several weeks now. Much to the delight of my family I must add [:)].
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

Nah. I won't get on with it. I tried and failed.
Alba gu' brath
Gen_Jack

Post by Gen_Jack »

Hi JudgeDread, I have Memoir44 and all of the expansion. My wife plays it with me and really enjoys it, and I also play as part of a local board game group where it is played fairly often.  You can try www.boardgamegeek.com to see if there are any game groups in your area.

That said, I still need to get my fix of Close Combat too.

Hope you and your daughter enjoy the game.

Cheers
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

Read the rulebook last night. How refreshing to have a manual that you can read in a night and understand. [:D]
Alba gu' brath
Grell

Post by Grell »

Hi JD,

You and I are so much alike! I just bought a few wargames (board) myself, I bought a few Clash of Arms games and a few Panzer Grenadier games from Avalanche Press for playing between me and my two sons.

The clash of arms games are probably too complex for them but the avalanche games will suit them well.

Hope you like Mem '44.

Regards,

Greg
105mm Howitzer

Post by 105mm Howitzer »

Hi Judge, don't know if the thing is possible, but I ran a thread called Memoir 44 a while back, I guess last winter or spring, in which I asked if anyone here played that game. I own all the expansions, including the terain pack ( but not the Air pack, which is the latest) At the time, I blogged with those people running threads in Memoir 44 forums, and among the various things discussed , was the introduction of Air rules specific to the game. They also argued on how to improve rules to more accurately reflect "real" wargames. At the time I suggested they should ditch Mem44 and GET a real wargame rather than change rules...I got Das Boot out of that thread, guess they dedn't appreciate it. I left their blog thereafter.
Good little game, but in no way replaces more serious wargames out there. Having said that, it is fun to learn it and play in one evening, and the expansions add some flavor. Great for novices and non-wargamers, entertaining nontheless for the serious type.
Game on.
MC
"Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum" - Publius Renatus, 390 A.D.
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

I think it was your post that prompted me to look at it and, ultimately, buy it.
Alba gu' brath
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

Little bit disappointed as I went to play the first scenario (kind of training scenario) Pegasus Bridge tonight with my daughter and there were not enough river tiles to make the map as displayed!

Ended up improvising...but wished they had checked to make sure the right number of tiles were in the box to create all the scenarios listed.

Still, my 7 year old had a game of it with me and was chuffed. I had to make the decisions for her on what cards to use, which isn't a problem for me, as winning is not important to me...so I was able to make the right choices for her (the choices I would've made in her shoes) and her favourite part was rolling the die, but she enjoyed it bless her.

Course I kicked the little n00bs arse....war is hell! [:D] (jk)
Alba gu' brath
Joram

Post by Joram »

LOL JD, beating up on a little girl. 

The box missing pieces sure doesn't bode well for their QA department.
105mm Howitzer

Post by 105mm Howitzer »

JD, have you tried to look for the exact tile shape? I ask that cause quite a few town tiles are back-printed with rivers, hills, forests,etc...As for Pegasus, I know I had to change a few tiles cause otherwise I'd run out of rivers. Unfortunately, this is a reccuring issue with other scenarios.
Cheers
MC
"Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum" - Publius Renatus, 390 A.D.
junk2drive

Post by junk2drive »

My nephew bought M44 years ago and made hills from styrofoam. That gave some ambiance and freed up some tiles.
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."

Return to “General Discussion”