Matrix Games Forums

To End All Wars: Mountain InfantryPandora: Eclipse of Nashira Announced! Deal of the Week: Command Ops goes half price!New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great War
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

why buy COG:EE when I already have COG?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory: Emperor's Edition >> why buy COG:EE when I already have COG? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
why buy COG:EE when I already have COG? - 7/23/2008 7:18:53 PM   
jnpoint

I can see, that there is a new game on the way, but is there enough change? I can understand, that there will be zoom-posibility and detailed naval battle. But is there more of interest? Do understand me correct - I love COG and even more FOF, but is the new COG just an upgrade?
Post #: 1
RE: why buy COG:EE when I already have COG? - 7/23/2008 7:57:13 PM   
Khornish

In my opinion there is enough change to call it a completely new game, although it is very similar to the original. I am perhaps a bit biased, so don't quote me. :)

I want to be careful with what I say, but a number of things I'd always wanted to have in a Napoleonic computer game have been added and they are fairly well done in my view. In fact, several of the items on my personal "wish list" from when COG came out have been added, as well as a couple that I had wanted badly, but felt it too much a big thing to ask for. Well, I got them anyway and I am really pleased.

I will be working to convince the hold-outs in my miniature wargaming club to buy COG:EE as I want to play online a lot more now.

(in reply to jnpoint)
Post #: 2
RE: why buy COG:EE when I already have COG? - 7/23/2008 8:29:59 PM   
bjmorgan

COGEE is really a new game.  While there's a lot of familiar things about it, it IS based on COG after all, it's amost a "next generation" of the COG idea.  Bigger, better, more realistic, more fun, harder or easier (your choice -- you'll have to read about it once it's announced to see what I mean).

To call it simply an expansion of COG is an understatement.  It's absolutely terrific.

I would HIGHLY recommend it.  Very highly indeed.

(in reply to Khornish)
Post #: 3
RE: why buy COG:EE when I already have COG? - 7/23/2008 10:22:36 PM   
jnpoint

thanks for the answers. Where do you know so much about COGEE, bjmorgan? Do you know, if it comes out this year or maybe 2009?

(in reply to bjmorgan)
Post #: 4
RE: why buy COG:EE when I already have COG? - 7/23/2008 11:20:12 PM   
Gil R.

I'll field the second question...

We're still targeting a release this summer. Whether that's August or September is unclear. We have not set a firm date, but our goal has been a late-summer release, and at this moment that still appears possible. There are still bugs being stamped out and we're debating various game-balance issues, and still need a bunch of graphics, but there is little in the way of new programming to be done.

As for the first question, either bjmorgan is one of our testers or there has been a serious security breach...

(in reply to jnpoint)
Post #: 5
RE: why buy COG:EE when I already have COG? - 7/24/2008 12:47:46 AM   
Gem35

CoG is a great game, ALOT of fun and the expansion will only solidify it, give it plenty more "meat and potatoes"
Buy the game, you won't regret it.

It doesn't make any sense, Admiral. Were we better than the Japanese or just luckier?

Banner By Feurer Krieg

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 6
RE: why buy COG:EE when I already have COG? - 7/24/2008 4:06:07 AM   
bjmorgan

Hey jnpoint,

Without breaching any agreement I have with Matrix, let it suffice to say that I have a little knowledge of the product.

Seriously, though, it's really going to be great.  I absolutely love it, and when it's finally ready, which according to Gil is reasonably soon, please get it.   Tell your friends to get it.  It's going to be a neat addition to your collection.  I like all my games from Matrix; it's the only company I've purchased games from in a long, long time.  This one's special, though.  FOF is a great game, but this one is even better.  The staff has been very willing to listen to complaints, comments, compliments (they REALLY like those), and are on the verge of producing a fun, entertaining product.  That's what I like about Matrix (and all the others that collaborate with them, like WCS), they listen, they adapt, they respond ....  Who else does that?

When this is released, I'm sure that there will be some changes based on the response from the gaming community.  in fact, COGEE itself is a result of the community's comments.  So, get ready for a great game.  I think it will be a classic.

< Message edited by bjmorgan -- 7/24/2008 4:14:55 AM >

(in reply to Gem35)
Post #: 7
RE: why buy COG:EE when I already have COG? - 7/24/2008 8:37:49 AM   
terje439

As long as my French Elite Guards can manage to form a line without wetting themself this time, I'll buy it for sure.

(in reply to bjmorgan)
Post #: 8
RE: why buy COG:EE when I already have COG? - 7/24/2008 11:23:39 AM   
jnpoint

It sounds to be a great game, and if it has as much as or more micromanagement than FOF, I'll buy it for sure! Already a release within a few months, wow!!

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 9
RE: why buy COG:EE when I already have COG? - 7/24/2008 6:41:58 PM   
Gil R.

quote:

ORIGINAL: jnpoint

It sounds to be a great game, and if it has as much as or more micromanagement than FOF, I'll buy it for sure! Already a release within a few months, wow!!

It has both: the "Advanced" economic setting is the highly complex, highly challenging one that was in the original COG (with some improvements), but we've added a far simpler version of the economy for those who just want to wage war and make treaties.

(in reply to jnpoint)
Post #: 10
RE: why buy COG:EE when I already have COG? - 8/14/2008 4:35:04 PM   
Gräfin Zeppelin

This is what i love most in your games.You can choose the game you want to play.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 11
RE: why buy COG:EE when I already have COG? - 9/2/2008 3:18:59 AM   
general_solomon

I can't wait for release.  please give us more news and when i can pre-order.  

thank you matrix for keep this game alive.

< Message edited by general_solomon -- 9/2/2008 3:19:13 AM >

(in reply to Gräfin Zeppelin)
Post #: 12
RE: why buy COG:EE when I already have COG? - 2/26/2009 2:16:01 AM   
Titanwarrior89

Why are there so few leaders in this game and COG?  I have COG and thats one of the things that turn me off along with the map.   So I am looking at this new version and the map looks much better but from what I read there still will be limited leaders.  So Why?

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

(in reply to general_solomon)
Post #: 13
RE: why buy COG:EE when I already have COG? - 2/26/2009 3:04:25 AM   
Gil R.

I don't know the exact number -- perhaps Mr. Z will chime in -- but we've added a few dozen more. At this point, we've got all the famous ones. (Few players seem to care about the unknown or less known ones.)

The good news is that anyone who wants to add more generals can mod the game.

(in reply to Titanwarrior89)
Post #: 14
RE: why buy COG:EE when I already have COG? - 2/26/2009 7:58:11 AM   
Joram

I think Eric mentioned it before that especially relative to Forge of Freedom, there are fewer leaders in the game because they are more powerful all in all due to the different mechanics in the game.  But as Gil said, quite a few have been added and new ones also may appear while you are playing.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 15
RE: why buy COG:EE when I already have COG? - 2/26/2009 10:43:41 PM   
Titanwarrior89

Ok, thanks guys.
quote:

ORIGINAL: Joram

I think Eric mentioned it before that especially relative to Forge of Freedom, there are fewer leaders in the game because they are more powerful all in all due to the different mechanics in the game.  But as Gil said, quite a few have been added and new ones also may appear while you are playing.

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 16
RE: why buy COG:EE when I already have COG? - 2/27/2009 3:06:54 AM   
Gil R.

Joram's right about leaders being more powerful than in FOF -- so if you do mod them in, don't overdo it! (I should have issued that warning originally.)

(in reply to Titanwarrior89)
Post #: 17
RE: why buy COG:EE when I already have COG? - 2/27/2009 3:16:39 AM   
Missouri Rebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gräfin Zeppelin

This is what i love most in your games.You can choose the game you want to play.

Exactly my thoughts. Plenty of choices. I became a fan of WCS after following FoF in development and many, many hours of playing it has only solidified my initial impressions. WCS's commitment to their products has made me a customer for life. One of the best teams out there imho.

So if any of you are on the fence about this product, rest assured that you will be getting a top-notch game, with excellent support to boot.

But if you spend any time here at Matrix, you probably already knew that.

PS... Is it ready yet?

mo reb

We must act... against the Sioux, even to the extermination of men, WOMEN and CHILDREN.The more Indians we can kill this year, the less will have to be killed next year. They all have to be killed or be maintained as a species of paupers.- w.t. SHErMAN

(in reply to Gräfin Zeppelin)
Post #: 18
RE: why buy COG:EE when I already have COG? - 2/27/2009 3:25:54 AM   
Gil R.

quote:

PS... Is it ready yet?

Looks like it's ready... it just isn't available yet! (Final internal testing and other stuff is going on.)

(in reply to Missouri Rebel)
Post #: 19
RE: why buy COG:EE when I already have COG? - 2/27/2009 4:27:47 AM   
Grotius

I'm looking forward to it! Credit card ready.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 20
RE: why buy COG:EE when I already have COG? - 2/27/2009 4:31:10 AM   
Missouri Rebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gil R.

quote:

PS... Is it ready yet?

Looks like it's ready... it just isn't available yet! (Final internal testing and other stuff is going on.)

Touche.

Folks, notice I didn't say anything about their great sense of humor? :)

mo reb

We must act... against the Sioux, even to the extermination of men, WOMEN and CHILDREN.The more Indians we can kill this year, the less will have to be killed next year. They all have to be killed or be maintained as a species of paupers.- w.t. SHErMAN

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 21
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory: Emperor's Edition >> why buy COG:EE when I already have COG? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI