Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Battle 360

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Battle 360 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Battle 360 - 7/21/2008 4:17:36 PM   
cantona2

Im currently watching my way through this series and was wondering what the forumistas general consensus on it is? CGI looks great, though repetetive and for an Ost Front expert like myself its making for a crash course in some elements of the Pacific Theatre. The only thing i dont like about the series so far is the all american,gung-ho appraoch of the narrator and some of the modern day contributors (marine first sgt eg) but the testimony of the vets certainly puts this great game of ours into stark perspective.

I also think that, basing myself on what ive seen so far (6 episodes) the Japanese are not really treated fairly. Being blown away by the superior Americans etc etc etc. So whats the forums consensus?

1966 was a great year for English Football...Eric was born

Banner by rogueusmc
Post #: 1
RE: Battle 360 - 7/21/2008 4:22:46 PM   
Nikademus

The constant special effects/CGI background clutter/flash scene changes gives me a headache. I can't watch the show.

(in reply to cantona2)
Post #: 2
RE: Battle 360 - 7/21/2008 5:45:49 PM   
Feinder

I've been a little disappointed that several shows have gone more towads CGI, in lieu of footage.  Granted, we've all seen the same footage used over and over, and often will see a Bf-109 shot out the sky as the narrator talks about a Japanese Zero going down.  But footage is obviously a finite resource, and there simply isn't always footage of a specific aircraft downing another in order to make correct portrayal.  I still like the footage, even if it's wrong.

Whether it's a land-battle or a dog-fight or a naval engagement, they've really gone full throttle with the CGI engines.  But CGI is just too cartoony and "gamey" to me.  I think it takes something away from the seriousness of the actual event. 

In fairness, I think that is part of the intent of using the CGI - they're not just trying to attact us "old school" grognards; they're trying to appeal to a younger audience as well - they is more familiar with the animated sequences and probably have a distaste for the black-and-white clips that appeal to us.

Specific to Battle-360 : I've only seen a few episodes, but I did find the "stories" interesting.  Yes, it's a bit "rah-rah".  But I didn't actually know what Enterprise did during those first days after Pearl Harbor - she sank a sub, and raided a convoy in the Marshalls.  That was interesting.  The animation - well, it's cartoonish. 

But I'll also say one thing that I liked was the over-view maps (animated or otherwise), that shows are more often doing.    With documentaries with BW footage, you MIGHT get a map with lines on it.  But with the more recent shows (with animations), you often get birds-eye views and pictures of other concurrent happenings.

-F-

< Message edited by Feinder -- 7/21/2008 7:01:46 PM >

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 3
RE: Battle 360 - 7/21/2008 5:56:01 PM   
cantona2

F

I agree with what you're saying about the CGI to appeal to young kids. Anything that sparks interest in History is fine by me. I also agree, however, with the 'gamey' feel it lends to these docs. Yet again, like with the Forgotten Evidence series, the overlaid, 360, birds eye view maps give a much better strategic overview of the battles described.

1966 was a great year for English Football...Eric was born

Banner by rogueusmc

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 4
RE: Battle 360 - 7/21/2008 6:59:24 PM   
ecwgcx

Some of the "Dogfight" series have been pretty nice looking. The only thing I don't like is the constant shots of the a/c flying right into the camera which the shakes in the prop/jet wash. Dorky. But when the show an a/c manouvering it looks the best.
I think I'd rather see a CGI naval battle instead of an O.H. Perry frigate "pretending" to be a WWII cruiser.

(in reply to cantona2)
Post #: 5
RE: Battle 360 - 7/21/2008 7:35:55 PM   
Mike Scholl

I can make it through about half a show.., but when the moron narrating says "Carrier U.S.S. Enterprise" for the 100th time I give up!

(in reply to ecwgcx)
Post #: 6
RE: Battle 360 - 7/21/2008 7:56:07 PM   
Nikademus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Scholl

I can make it through about half a show.., but when the moron narrating says "Carrier U.S.S. Enterprise" for the 100th time I give up!

true.

(in reply to Mike Scholl)
Post #: 7
RE: Battle 360 - 7/21/2008 10:53:52 PM   
Gem35

I had the entire series tivo'd but recently deleted it in favor of more room for Family Guy episodes.

It doesn't make any sense, Admiral. Were we better than the Japanese or just luckier?

Banner By Feurer Krieg

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 8
RE: Battle 360 - 7/21/2008 11:42:32 PM   
Joe D.

Battle 360 episodes seemed to improve towards the end of the series. Either that, or I just got more accustomed to it.

Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.

"The Angel of Okinawa"

Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II

(in reply to cantona2)
Post #: 9
RE: Battle 360 - 7/23/2008 1:24:41 AM   
F6frc

It seems to be a good series for the History Channel, sure beats the non history stuff they seem to be flooding the airaves with!

(in reply to Joe D.)
Post #: 10
RE: Battle 360 - 7/23/2008 4:03:41 AM   
RUPD3658

The Midway episode said that McClusky was a fighter pilot but was flying an SBD on the fateful day. Is this true?

I know that everything on the HC is gospel but I had never heard this before.

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits"- Darwin Awards 2003

"No plan survives contact with the enemy." - Field Marshall Helmuth von Moltke

(in reply to cantona2)
Post #: 11
RE: Battle 360 - 7/23/2008 4:17:16 AM   
scott1964

quote:

ORIGINAL: RUPD3658

The Midway episode said that McClusky was a fighter pilot but was flying an SBD on the fateful day. Is this true?

I was wondering that too

Lucky for you, tonight it's just me

Any ship can be a minesweeper..once !! :)

http://suspenseandmystery.blogspot.com/

(in reply to RUPD3658)
Post #: 12
RE: Battle 360 - 7/23/2008 4:24:55 AM   
ChezDaJez

quote:

ORIGINAL: RUPD3658

McClusky was the skipper of VF-6 until 21 March 1942 when he fleeted up to command Enterprise's Air Group. From then on, he was no longer a fighter jock. As such, he flew lead in the air strikes at Midway in SBDs.

BTW, he commanded the CVE Corregidor later in the war.

Chez

Ret Navy AWCS (1972-1998)
VP-5, Jacksonville, Fl 1973-78
ASW Ops Center, Rota, Spain 1978-81
VP-40, Mt View, Ca 1981-87
Patrol Wing 10, Mt View, CA 1987-90
ASW Ops Center, Adak, Ak 1990-92
NRD Seattle 1992-96
VP-46, Whidbey Isl, Wa 1996-98

(in reply to RUPD3658)
Post #: 13
RE: Battle 360 - 7/23/2008 5:00:51 AM   
TOMLABEL

quote:

ORIGINAL: F6frc

It seems to be a good series for the History Channel, sure beats the non history stuff they seem to be flooding the airaves with!

What's this? You mean ICE ROAD TRUCKERS is not history related?????

TOMLABEL

Art by the Rogue-USMC

WITP Admiral's Edition - Ship & Sub Art - Base Unit Art - Map Icon Art

"If destruction be our lot - it will come from within"...Abraham Lincoln

(in reply to F6frc)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Battle 360 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI